Author Topic: Rotor spinning  (Read 910 times)

skravlinge

Rotor spinning
« on: November 27, 2004, 04:52:07 AM »
I have done some work calculating the airfoils to use. It will not be free to make them as I do not have the tools and welding skills. So before I start to hire help, I did a cardboard airfoil and attached them. The model rotor is just  80 cm in height and has a diameter of 40 cm. It is made of steel pipes 20 mm and  have space for four airfoils. The cardboard airfoils was  about 38 cm height and  11 cm  width. The thickness max  2.2 cm. It is a bit heavy for its size, but the factor swept area and weight will be better then its scaled up to the size  next  rotor will have. A heavy duty SKF bearing is attached on the rotating shaft.

I have no tools to check the wind speed but is was little more than average here. I guess  about 10 m/sek. The test was done about 1 meter of the ground, me holding it. The rotor was spinning and the speed  was increasing until the airfoils were spoiled.  It was started by itself, but I can not for sure say I was holding the rotor straight, so It may be it was starting because it was not  clean vertical up. So I feel confident to go on and get the airfoils in the coming week. Keen on see if it starts by itself - "The answer is blowing in the wind". Pictures will come, and I will  try to  get  figures of its performing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 04:52:07 AM by (unknown) »