Author Topic: Stand Up  (Read 1672 times)

Peppyy

Stand Up
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »
After building several small HAWT's I decided it was time to use up the scrap pipe I had leftover from the pair of ZubWoofers.

I used 4-1' pieces of 4" pvc and some old paneling. 3' of 3/8" allthread and 4 rollerbearings from a rollerblade, actually I got 16 of them in a closeout bin for 2 bucks a couple years ago.

In this photo you can see the hot glue that holds the pvc in place.

I took this out into a 4 to 5 mph wind and heald it by the bearings. It spins faster than any of my current props with no load. I need to build a frame and find or make a genny for it. Any comments are welcome.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 07:20:19 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Stand Up
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »
that looks good peppyy. you might want to check out a company called windside in finland for a very nice vertical design . there frame design will be similar to yours.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 02:51:28 PM by electrondady1 »

arc

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 11:10:38 PM »
Never got around to it, but I always wanted to make two of these savonieous rotors side-by-side, counter-rotating. One with a row of Neo's around the perimeter and the other with a row of windings around the perimeter. I figured that I would isolate the top shaft from the bottom shaft and run the AC current out through the shafts. Crazy idea, perhaps but I figured I could get the equivelant of around 200 rpm and with a larger diameter maybe some usable power this way.

Just another thought ...

arc

« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 11:10:38 PM by arc »

Peppyy

Time to redesign
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:25:13 PM »
We had an emergency here today and I had to leave in a hurry. I hadn't had a chance to hook up the belt drive on the unit before I left. I left it outside on a large snowbank ans with no load it blew itself apart from spinning too fast.

It is back to the drawing board.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 01:25:13 PM by Peppyy »

Peppyy

Re: Time to redesign
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 05:57:59 PM »
It,s back together. I made a couple modifications and got out the glue.

Here is the lower bearing. I love these things.

And here is my high tech frame made out of the strapping that used to hold the farmer tin on my trailer roof for 35 years.

I have since added a rather interesting pully on the top which drives a tiny casette tape motor at around 10 to 1. If I am lucky it might light an led but it should help keep it from overspeeding. Details to follow.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 05:57:59 PM by Peppyy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 01:15:03 AM »
Hi Peppy.

Where and how did it fail?

Any pic's before reconstruction?

Maybe 3/4" plywood on the inside of the pipe, fastened with screws would have helped?  And maybe another one half way up each section?

Also, most drawings I have seen show the top and bottom section also round, like your center piece but a little bigger (5-10%?).  Maybe it aims the wind more?

Sandia had some ratios, and here too.  Try searching 'sandia savinous' if you have not done it already.  Looking at the overlap of the 2 halves and all-thread, you did it before.

Looks good to me!  Even if it did blow up.

G-

« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 01:15:03 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Peppyy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 01:33:35 PM »
Hi Ghurd,

the failure was a combination, both caused by the disk material, (Paneling)

The paneling I used is the cheepo photo stuff, I am not even sure if there is any wood in it. My mistake was not roughing up the smooth photo side before gluing the pvc to it. the hot glue did not adhere to the round center ring on the smooth side and the force allowed the pipe to slide which in turn ripped the upper paneling.

I looked at a bunch of designs from picoturbines to Making a simple Savonius wind turbine by Lance Turner and then looked at what I had available for parts and this is what I came up with.

I am rather impressed with how easily it turns that little motor and lights that led, Almost burned it out yesterday. I think I might build another one just slightly differently.

I would like to use the same setup only larger diameter lightweight pipe and possibly use your full disks. I think I will use thicker material and rout the roters into a groove on the disk. I will also have to either find larger bearings and use 1/2" rod or use a center support with another bearing. The through rod works very well as a clamp to hold the pipe in place. I would rather stick with the bearings I have but 5/16" isn't very big.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 01:33:35 PM by Peppyy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 08:38:11 AM »
Bearings from a 1/2" shaft motor? Everybody seems to have a lot of old motors kicking around.

High Temperature hot glue gun and hight temperature glue sticks 'stick' a lot better than low or dual temp.  Cheap hi-temp upgrade, $3 gun, $4/100 sticks, at Wally World's "fabric and flower" section.

G-

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:38:11 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller