Author Topic: My Solar setup  (Read 2231 times)

afgatrost

My Solar setup
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
I am new to this business, but I put a system in last summer and I can tell you about it.  I "plunked" down lots, because I like sturdy.  Thankful for the utility incentive and Federal rebate.  At least I hope it is sturdy.  I ended up with 12- 230W BP panels.  Prices have gone down since last summer.  I used a 48 volts system at 840 Amp hrs, Rolls Surrett's.  I went with an Outback system.  Fire Mountain Solar was very helpful with the wiring as was the Outback company in answering the many questions I had.   I have 80 ft trees, so in the winter I pick up a bit of shading.  :(  I still pretty well averaged 3.5 kwh/day.  This last month of April I averaged a little bit over 10 kwh/day.  One interesting note was that after a rain, I can get more than the 2760W max, because the air is so clean.  :)  With the wet cell, which I have I would recommend a watering system.  Takes 5 seconds once a month.  I am using mine for standby, so they stay charged waiting for a storm.  Last time we didn't even know it went off till our son came up and said his computer went out, then I asked but you have lights.  :)  I have most lights, and plugs on the system, not the electric oven or septic aireator.  So I have included transfer switches if the utility cuts me off when the grid goes down, if necessary.  (I had to put a utility cut off)  It has helped to go to the 9 w (40Watt) LED.  So now in the kitchen I turn on 18 watts instead of 160 watts.  My table saw (2hp) kicks out the inverter, so it is off the system.  Another thing of interest I have a ~18cf fridge and about same size chest freezer that are energy stars and they use about 1.5kwh/day each.  The most that I have made so far is 16.5kwh, but have only been up and running since September 2011.  Rambled enough but it was fun rambling, even if no one reads it.  :)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: My Solar setup
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
With all this info crumpled together can you maybe come back and possibly post pictures of the system and maybe split the different lights and equipment up into other parts with a little more info?
Thanks
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard