Author Topic: Motor for conversion  (Read 2394 times)

Peppyy

Motor for conversion
« on: April 25, 2005, 06:35:07 PM »
I have been looking everywhere for a suitable motor for conversion. I was about to give up when I found this.

It was in a big old pressure washer. Believe it or not it was at a dump! I won't mention where since I don't want to lose a source of future parts. Here is the nameplate.

I am getting ready to tear into it and see just what I have.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:35:07 PM by (unknown) »

Peppyy

Re: Motor for conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »
The motor has 7 wires in the junction box labaled,

P1, P2, T2, T3, T4, T5, and T8.

I just noticewd that there is a diagram on the motor plate, silly me.

T5 and T8 must be the start winding because they reverse the direction.

I am guessing this is a single phase motor only from the diagram. Wondering if it might be worth rewinding it or not.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 01:19:56 PM by Peppyy »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:05:21 PM »
Hi Peppyy!

what you have here is basically a C-flange pump motor. the "C" is just the flange which bolts to the pump. you can still use it well because the motor also has mounting feet.

the motor also has a 5/8 shaft. not the biggest but i think still quite usable if you use a smaller prop. i have put 6 foot props on 5/8 shafts without problems. just make sure it is not a 2 blade prop.

you will have the option to re-wind it. having never before converted a 2 pole winding, i think you can still get good results using the existing winding.

i would suggest using round magnets and shape the pole size that you need, of coarse with a skew.

the motor is dual voltage which will aloow you 1 and 2 circuit connections. the start winding, leads #5 and #8 can also be harvested. you will have to remove the wires from the capacitors and just join the ends and replace the covers.

you will find 2 wires connected to a stationary start switch mounted to the opposite bearing housing on the inside. permanently join these 2 wires. also on the shaft you will find a centrifugal mechanism. you can remove this, it is not needed.

let me know if you want to convert it and i will be more than happy to help you all i can.

have fun,

zubbly

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 05:05:21 PM by zubbly »

Peppyy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05:05 PM »
Thanks Zubbly, that news isn't as bad as I had thought. I was kind of hoping to get a fair amount of power from it. What is your guess. 500 watts? I have a roll of #16 mag wire if that is anything that I should even concider.

Don't know if I could justify that one living on top of my Monster Tower lol. Have to see what else I can come up with for a big one but I very well might end up with another tower anyway.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:05:05 PM by Peppyy »

drdongle

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:20:10 PM »
It's a 2 pole motor ( 3450 RPM) so if you convert it with out rewinding, you'll have to get it going realy fast to make usefull power. If you elect to rewind it go for 6 poles so you can use a lower speed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 08:20:10 PM by drdongle »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »
Hey Pep.

Here are some wind test #s I got from a simular 2 pole sinle phase conversion.

I wired it for 115 volt use and used a seperate fullwave bridge on the runs and the starts. IT had an unusual large bore for a 2 pole. Mormally the bore on a 2 pole is much smaller then 4 pole but this one was bigger. So I fitted it with one row of 6 curved old #29s NNN and SSS. It makes the amp meter throb back and forth in low wind speeds but its the first of my 14 genys to show some amperage.

I'm using by 49" 3 blade on it.

5 mph 1 amp, 10 mph 2 amps, 15 mph 6 amps, 20 mph 20 amps, 25 mph 25 amps and 30 mph 30 amps or 426 watts I saw 612 watts at 35 mph.

As you can see as soon as mph and rpm kik up it starts to work. Good luck.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 10:54:44 PM by Jerry »

nothing to lose

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 04:39:29 AM »
In these motors with 4 coils how many magnet poles are you making on the armature?

How about 6 coils and not sure if I had any yet with 8 coils, kinda seems like I had one I never messed with.

I am trying to get by without messing with the wires inside the motor as I have a really hard time seeing them, so for now I try to leave them as they are.

I have 2 motors now, 3/4hp 115V about 9.2amps Single phase, 4 large coils inside. Swimming pool pumps, one is a Century motor not sure the other motors  brand, same specs maybe 8amp though.

I put 4 1.75" or 2" round Neos in it, don't seem to be getting any power at all, though I did not have time to test much by the time I got it back together last night. Should I change that to NN SS instead of NSNS?  I have to pull the armature out again anyway, I have just a tiny rubbing inside where a magnet is not mounted correctly or the armature was not cut quite deep enough. It's not bad, but does have to be fixed of course. Still turns fairly easy but can feel it hitting. Anyway so far no power to speak of on this one :(

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:39:29 AM by nothing to lose »

Peppyy

Some more pics
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »
Some more photos once I tore it apart.

I thought I knew how the windings worked until I took this apart. If I am correct this is a 2 pole motor?

It looks as if I may have to rewind it anyway from the looks of these windings.

Nice bearings and shaft though. It looks like the main part of the shaft is 1" and it is turned down for the bearings.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 01:28:29 PM by Peppyy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 04:16:14 PM »
I have a tiny version of this, and am thinking about single phase coils and 6 magnets.

Coil, 2 slots, other leg of the coil. That takes 4 slots.

With 24 slots maybe it could be 3 phase?

Anyway.  3 Coils, 6 mags, 1 leg per mag.

It fits. I think.

If not 3 phase, then 3 phases.

Maybe not 3 phase, but 3 phase 'inside out'.

Best of both worlds?

My neos are about 2.5 slots wide. 24 slots. 1 leg per slot. 3 coils per phase.

That is about like a Windstuff Ed wave wound 3 phase, right?

Sounds good for this motor too.

Just seems very relavent.

G-

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:16:14 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Peppyy

Question for Zubbly
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »
What do you think of using a long bar magnet on the armature instead of a bunch of round ones? Maybe something like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5575865913&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEW
A%3AIT&rd=1

Probably worth a try if I had any idea how many I would need.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:09:16 AM by Peppyy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Question for Zubbly
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:54 AM »
That outfit with the poled the same curved neos you posted is listing a lot of others neos.

Some are poled opposite.

They have quite selection of bars too.

Sure cheap enough.

G-
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 11:36:54 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zubbly

Re: Question for Zubbly
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:52:57 PM »
Hi Peppy!

personally i would not use them mainly because of the fact that you can't skew them. if you were to angle them for a skew, you would have both ends hardly touching the rotor and you would also be changing the air gap considerably and likely touching the stator laminations on each end of the mag. to make sure the ends keep airgap, the centre of the mag would have a much larger air gap, thus greatly reducing the output.

always keep in mind that the pole made up from the mags should always be the same width as between the coil legs. if it has more than 1 size coil, as it usually does, the magnet should fit between the inside coil legs of the smallest coil. (easy to do with small round mags   :)

have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:52:57 PM by zubbly »