Author Topic: Driving my EV.  (Read 9213 times)

nothing to lose

Re: Driving my EV.
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »
"Regenerative braking takes a lot of complexity to make it effective, and then it is only marginally worth the effort. "

Regenerative braking could be as simple as a friction drive rubbing a wheel only when needing to reduce speed and not rubbing any other time. Nothing complex about that, kinda like those little bike generators to power a head light and brake light, you know those ones that don't work when you stop riding. Friction drive an altenator like that and nothing complex at all, just a lever to pull it into place like some of those parking brakes between the seats, or a third peddle on the floor where a clutch would normally be if you don't have one. 4rth peddle if you do have a clutch :)

Very simple and easy, only adds the extra weight of an alternator, battery cable, and lever and cable to enage it. Before anyone pops up with saftey concerns on that idea, some semi's used tire chains that work the same way. Friction drive rubbing an inside drive tire rotates a hub with tire chain sections attached and that slings them under the drive tires as they drive icy roads. You can see them hanging under semitrators if they have them installed, looks like maybe 6 chains hanging down together near a wheel. Maybe 12-24" long? Those are air activated from the cab with a switch, air pressure pushes them down against the tires when needed and a heavy spring holds them up when not needed. Same thing could be done safely with an alternator and cables. Maybe one each side and use two alternators for even load on the tires. Or make a flywheel type plate to bolt to the rearend and drive shaft and friction run it there for even load to both back wheels. Many ways to do it easily. And for any downhill drives it would work well, like for me most driving is up and down! if I drove a level path town would probably be 9 miles away instead of 12 miles with all the ups and downs along the way.

"keep distance between you and the driver ahead "

I agree with that from a saftey point of view, but that is not correct for feul savings of any kind. Following the vehicle in front at a correct "but to close" distance actaully saves you the feul or power, in racing it is known as drafting, it increases drag on the vehicle in front causing them to use more feul and they are kinda sucking you along for the ride behind them saving you fuel. I consider it to be a stupid thing to do on open highways, but much of the time that is what that tailgater behind you is doing! Other times they are just to stupid to leave a safe distance. That is why we are required to have those stupid third brake lights on all new cars, people are to stupid to follow at a safe distance far enough back so they can see the old normal brake lights so we have to have them mounted higher in the back window that bothers us while we drive at night so those tailgaters can see when we put on the brakes, the other ones are hidin by their hood because they are too close in the first place!

Otherwise I agree, alot of feul savings rather electric diesel or gas depends on driving style and all the other known things like keeping tires inflated properly etc.., but if you already do all that then there is nothing more to gain, so Regenerative braking, solar pannels on the roof, and a windmill to raise when parked are about the only extra options to increase milage :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:27:05 AM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 12:35:41 AM »
Don't forget on those hard tires, the harder they are the more jolts are gonna hammer the suspension harder and maybe bounce shake jolt the batteries also. Might not be a problem if your mostly smooth roads, but I see those little low rider cars and trucks bouncing and bumping around even on smooth roads all the time. How would that effect battery life, though I don't expect your to be that stiff a suspension.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:35:41 AM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 12:39:32 AM »
I'd like to know more how that turns out if he is building daul rotor motors :)

How many Hp? Could daisy chain 4 5HP ones in series for a 20HP drive unit maybe if they are low Horse, or one 20HP would be even better. Maybe have regenative braking built in too :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:39:32 AM by nothing to lose »

nanotech

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 04:52:48 AM »
Overinflating tires can be as bad as underinflating them.

Underinflating you get increased drag and uneven wear on the edges of the tread pattern.

Overinflation results in premature tire failure and uneven wear on the center of the tread pattern.  It also increases the risk (I think it's by a factor of 500%) of a violent blowout.  It also lowers the speed at which it will happen.

I would suggest that if you're going to overinflate to get a harder tire, I would only do it by a pound or two.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 04:52:48 AM by nanotech »

pyrocasto

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »
I agree, so that's why mine stay right on or one above max psi. I have been looking for harder ones though, if they arent too much more. Gotta think though, would your extra mileage be cheaper than more batteries? I would think so.

If there was a problem with bouncing, would just put some foam underneath them. They would swish the water around still, but there would be no bumps.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 02:06:26 PM by pyrocasto »

nothing to lose

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 06:16:55 PM »
Well it seems to have been another week now.

How goes the Ranger?

Any new developments yet? New mods? New info for milage, batteries, etc...

We're still interested :)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 06:16:55 PM by nothing to lose »

Jerry

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »
Hi nothing to lose.

Things are realy busy for me now at the stereo store. We have several audio shows we're gearing up for.

However I did remove the bed from the Ranger. I built a temperay plywood flat bed. This will alow easy access to the battery bank and suspension. Just a few screws to remove.

Right now it only has one shock in the rear and stock springs. The plan is to add air shocks but one sides needs mods because the newly installed battery bank is in the way. Have to fab some new shock mounts.

A freind is giving me some airbags to try. Also will be up gradeing power wire from 1/0 to 4/0. 1/0 is what we had at the time but there are 2 six ft. runs to the front and the amps draw is 400 at times so we have some voltage drop.

Also want to make the stock Ranger bed a tilt bed for easy battery access and a dump to.

I drove thirty miles the other day on one charge. Voltage was gettin prety low though.

Right now 20 miles is real easy. My daily travels 7.5 miles to work and 7.5 miles home.

I do some running around on that same charge many days.

Its amaizing how many littel trips to town for this and that we do. I havn't been to a gas station for a month now. Can't say as I miss that though.

My digi camera broke so no pix for a while till we get a replacement?

I'm installing some convenience 120 volt DC power sockets. 1 front 1 rear and 1 inside. By next winter will have the original heater core replaced with a electric heater eliment. Having 120 volts onboard is great. Power tolls, heat and lights are quite handy.

I'm also working on a 120v wench. This will be hitch mounted front or rear. Easy to move or just leave home. I'll be adding a towbar so we can use it as runabout when we're using the motorhome on out of town camping trips.

JK TAS Jerry  

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:16:02 AM by Jerry »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 09:05:36 PM »
Is there a 120V 1/4A tilt up windmill planned for the bed?

Last 10 times I went camping there was plenty of wind,

When I did not want it.

Waves sunk my boat once, but the wind could have charged a bildge pump!

(thats when I made that PVC pump with the marbles and rubber washers)

G-

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 09:05:36 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jerry

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »
Hi G

Ya been thinkin about a small popup genny for the onboard 12 volt Optima?

Pix when it happens.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 04:44:38 PM by Jerry »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 11:29:57 PM »
I know how to make a killer 48v mini!

Like 100ma!  lol

I'll wait for the pix.

G-

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 11:29:57 PM by ghurd »