Author Topic: Induction Genny Update  (Read 1327 times)

canadiens

Induction Genny Update
« on: July 18, 2005, 05:48:45 PM »
Thank-you Zubbly and others for all your help, here is an update on the progress of my conversion generator. Following your advice I separated the 24 wires and brought out all the leads of the coils.

I decided to get a 4in cube junction box from the local home improvement store.

To mount this on the motor shell I had to drill thru the motor so I could fit a bushing and thread the lock-nut on the inside of the motor and the compression nut inside the plastic box.

I also drilled & tapped 2 1/4-20 threads into the side of the motor for more support. To fit all the wires and for ease of interconnections I used terminal blocks and labelled the wires and the connections.

Once they were all fished thru into the box and all checked for continuity I laced the leads with heavy cotton string in place and varnished them.

I measured 1.9 ohm resistance of each coil & 5.1 open voltage of each coil by checking at 271 rpm in my drill press( lowest speed). The start and ends of each coil was not obvious to me, so to make sure I had all the starts and ends of each coil properly identified as to your diagram,

I wired 2 to 7, 8 to 13,14 to 19. Measuring 1-2 = 5.1v, 1-8 = 10.5v, 1-14 = 16.9v, 1-20 = 22.4v.The voltage increased roughly the same amount, the dmm numbers were jumping around a bit !!. I had to change & renumber leads 19 & 20 for phase "A". Similarly checking phase "B" I had to alter leads 15 & 16. On phase "C" I altered leads 5 & 6, 17 & 18.Each phase checked out to the same measurements as in phase "A".

When I try to connect 1 star : coil end numbers jumpers 2+8,6+12,7+13,10+16,11+17,14+20,15+21,18+24,22+4. Generator lead number output lead 1,9, 5, together 19,3,23 I can not measure anything & I believe they are cancelling each other. There is no cogging what so ever and can easily turn it with my fingers. I also tried to connect in 1 delta with the same results , so now is the time for me to seek more advice.

Thanks again

Mike

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:48:45 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Induction Genny Update
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 03:03:15 PM »
Yes, they are canceling out.  You reconnected the coils in the three legs of the star so that each leg is pairs of coils fighting each other and produces no net output.

Go back to the original setup.  Then tie 1,3,5 and take output from 20, 22, and 24.  If that doesn't end up with the same voltage across each pair of output terminals, try tying 1,22,5 and take output from 20, 3, and 24.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 03:03:15 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 05:49:34 PM »
Hi Mike!

your progress looks excellent i must say, but sometimes it is easy to overlook or mis-label a wire. even the best of winders occasionally do it.

here is what i can suggest. i think it would be best to identify all the wires again for proper polarity (to make sure you did not wire some pole groups backwards.

very easy to do. first, remove rotor and place stator in vertical position on bench. get your self a compass, this will identify if you have them numbered correctly. you are going to use a very small battery charger or a few small batterys connected together for a dc source.

start at lead #1 and #2. connect the positive battery lead to #1 and negative to #2.

in the area that the pole group is located, hold the compass close to the inside of the stator. the compass will show dead centre of the magnetic pole. mark it with a piece of chalk if it is north or south.

next, connect the positive battery wire to lead #3 and negative to #4 (make sure that you connect the positive to all the odd numbered leads and negative to all even numbered leads. check with the compass and mark the centre again with chalk. it should be the same polarity as the first pole group (all pole groups should end up all north, or all south). if you find that one or more of the pole groups has a reversed polarity, reverse the numbers on the lead wires of that pole group.

after all polaritys have been verified the same, the numbering system should apply without any problem.

good luck (and be patient)  :)

zubbly

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:49:34 PM by zubbly »

canadiens

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:02:59 AM »
Thanks for the excellent ideas guys, I am going to be away for a few days holidays and will try to apply your methods to make it work and will post my results when I get a chance, thanks again.

mike
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:02:59 AM by canadiens »