Author Topic: just a shot in the dark!!  (Read 1220 times)

hiker

• BIG DOG
just a shot in the dark!!
« on: August 24, 2005, 07:06:08 AM »
dang the USA sure does light up the world....

u sure u boys in the lower 48 an"t near a plugin....

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:06:08 AM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: just a shot in the dark!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 01:12:35 AM »
on --firefox browser--this picture came out small--on the big e it came out rather large--sorry about that........
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:12:35 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »
Ain't it disgusting, though.  I live near that tiny dot furthest due North of Chicago.  Still too much light at night.  Darn it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:15:24 AM by finnsawyer »

antw

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 03:38:35 PM »
On firefox the pic was small, then I did a control-r (reload) and the pic became bigger.  I have had that happen before.  I think it is a bug, or is that a feature?

Regards

Antony

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:38:35 PM by antw »

benjamindees

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 03:50:16 PM »
Yeah, I like that pic.  It always amazes me how electrified India is, how dark Russia is, and how Australia seems to be completely uninhabited :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:50:16 PM by benjamindees »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
On Mozilla 1.5 control-R redisplays it the same way.  But Right-click "View Image" pops up a new window with a big picture.  I consider that a feature.  B-)

One thing I noticed was the extreme light wash around Chicago.  Looks like Mayor Daily (the first)'s "City of Light" initiative made a permanent change.

For those of you not familiar with it:  Back around the '60s there was a lot of crime in Chicago.  Grand crime that paid its bribes was OK with the administration, of course.  (This IS Chicago we're talking about.  "The City that Works" - because EVERYBODY can buy the authorities, for reasonable prices, too.)  But petty crime was bad for City Hall's business.

So Mayor Daily started a program to put in LOTS of BRIGHT streetlights, so there'd be no dark corners for the petty crooks to hang out in.  It made things as visible at night as in the day, and also lit up the dark crannies even in the day.  Apparently this made quite a difference:  The victims could see the crookies and dodge (and the cops could grab any whose bribes weren't paid up.)

Forget about seeing the stars.  (The moon is still visible if you know where to look.  B-)  ).  And you could wear your sunglasses at night and not bump into things.

I'd thought it got toned back somewhat during the "Energy Crisis".  But apparently the area is still the brightest around, judging by this composite photo.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:32:20 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:04:53 AM »
with all those lights and the power it takes to power all that --plus all the other things besides lights that need power--i can see why the earth is warming up.....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:04:53 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 12:45:27 AM »
I am suprised how how you can see roads, if they are alone in the boonies.

There is a East-West line of lights, going East from Hudson Bay.

There just is not that much stuff up there that I would have thought it would show up at all!

G-
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:45:27 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

domwild

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 03:17:41 AM »
Hi,

Great pictures! There is only one dot in North Korea and that is Pyongyang (spelling?). There is no light in the rest. Soeul is the bright spark below the DMZ.

The bright spot in the SW corner of Australia is Perth, my "City of Light". Why? So called once upon a time when the first US astronauts orbited the request was to light up all lights to see what could be seen from space. In the West Aussie bush long lines graded with bulldozers for the flight can still be seen to this day.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:17:41 AM by domwild »

kitno455

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »
look at the nile. thats just incredible.

allan

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:50:10 AM by kitno455 »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 03:00:40 PM »
I am suprised how how you can see roads, if they are alone in the boonies.

It's not the roads you're seeing.  It's all the stuff that grows up along them.

Towns mostly.  But some truck stops and shopping centers put out as much upward-directed light as a moderate sized village (to judge by the skyglow on cloudy nights).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:00:40 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

MountainMan

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »
Yes, I noticed that too.  Remarkable.  And look how it is only in Egypt.  It ends abruptly at the line between Egypt and Sudan.  Black as coal from there down.

jp

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:48:48 PM by MountainMan »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »
Must be the Aswan Dams doing their thing.

Sort of surprised at the little dots in the Sahara.  I think of it as dead empty.

The oceans are plenty dark.  Surprised you can see the Falklands.  (SE of South America) What are the bright spots East of Madagascar? (S.E. of Africa.)  Is there anything there?  Sure are bright.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:34:35 PM by Phil Timmons »