Author Topic: Front Page Epitaph  (Read 1224 times)

terry5732

Front Page Epitaph
« on: September 18, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »
Well it appears as though to please some mysterious masses the front page has been effectively killed. Twenty steps backwards.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 11:22:30 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Front Page Epitaph
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 06:15:24 PM »
yea, ive noticed a change , the front page seems to have become a bit of a dead zone, but to check out the latest stuff i just go to the everything section.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 06:15:24 PM by electrondady1 »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:46:20 PM »
personally i have been waiting to say much of anything reguarding the recent changes to the front page.

i understand what the explanation for the changes was, and for the most part i agree.

i only hope that the rather recent change will work out to be more than what i have seen recently.

it would seem that the front page has gone flat, and the "everything" option is attracting ,,,, well,,, everything!

oh well i will see what comes of it,, hope it is a move for the better.

bob g

« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 10:46:20 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:55:51 AM »
  After the front page changes took place, I simply set my start as the everything page.  I want to see everything thats going on, not just the top rated stuff.  If everything has everything then thats the page you don't miss anything.

They change things.... I addapt...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 07:55:51 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

rotornuts

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »
What's the front page? Ok, I know what the front page is I just haven't been there since about 3 weeks after I started visiting this board. From what I understand if your a regular you should have figured out the same a long time ago. The front page is where all the external links point to so Otherpower is keeping it relevant to the basics of generating ummm.. well otherpower. After someone comes and sees the less experimental and more relavent to the average newbe kind of info on the front page he'll likely find the everything view. At this point in the what's with my post disappearing from the front page and the what's with the front page saga I find myself in a position where I can no longer be resonable. Get with the f'n program and set your bookmark to the everthing view and shut up about it allready.

My apologies in advance if I've offended anyone but if you want to talk about things going flat well, a revolving cycle of posts to beat the front page issue to death is as flat as it gets.

Sorry Bob, this wasn't directed at you I just accidentally hit reply rather than post a comment.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 06:49:54 PM by rotornuts »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
no offence taken there Mike :)

good points made, and i will reset my bookmark... just a bit slow or "ok" lazy i guess

bob g

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 07:57:39 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

pyrocasto

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:21:58 PM »
I've done the same thing since I started here, as I noticed some stories werent there on the front page.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 11:21:58 PM by pyrocasto »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »
'It's not dead... it's just sleeping'  ;-)

Actually, we made a decision to let more stories exist (delete fewer), but all stories stay in section only.  You can veiw everything by just clicking the 'everything' catagory.  Editors will decide which stories move to the front page based upon the content of the story, and the comments.  It keeps the front page a bit cleaner (and more interesting I think), it moves slower, and other websites that display the 'headlines' from our front page  (some will be picking that up soon) will have more interesting stuff I think.  

It may have seemed dead over the weekend because we were all gone at the fair and spent about 3 days away from computers.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:58:24 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »
hello danb, i want to take this opportunty to thank you for starting this forum. i've only had a computor for about a year and a half and discovered this site on a google search about windwill generators.to me this site IS the internet.ive learned so much and met some really nice, funny and brilliant people who strangely, like myself, want to make electricity from the wind .  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 03:56:46 PM by electrondady1 »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:26:33 PM »
It may have seemed dead over the weekend because we were all gone at the fair and spent about 3 days away from computers.

That makes sense.

But it seemed to me to be dead for a couple weeks.  I wondered what had happened to the board - if everybody was on vacation or had gotten bored with it or something.  (And I HAD seen the notice that you were going to only put the hot stuff up there - but I guess it didn't connect.)

Yes there's a lot of rehashing, which can get repetative, then boring, then drive people away.  But if I were just coming to the board for the first time (as the clueless newbie I was at the time) and had seen it the way it has been lately, I think I'd probably have decided it was a low-activity board with little to interest me and gone away again, instead of getting seriously hooked, learning a LOT about practical wind power, and contributing some perhaps useful stuff from my own childhood interest in and college exposure to power system tech.

Suggestion:  Put a notice at the top of the front page that this is just a high-interest sampling and that users should be sure to visit the topic of interest, where a lot of additional stuff is happening.

And let me add my own thank-you for all your effort starting and running this wonderful resource.  B-)  (As someone who has run mailing lists and co-administered conferencing systems, I can appreciate how much work it is and how often thankless the users seem.)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 07:26:33 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 08:22:57 AM »
Hi Ungrounded!

"Suggestion:  Put a notice at the top of the front page that this is just a high-interest sampling and that users should be sure to visit the topic of interest, where a lot of additional stuff is happening."

Yes - I like that idea!  I think we shall do something along those lines.  For now it's my goal to bump at least a couple stories to the front page every day, again - based upon their content, and the content of the comments they recieve.

"And let me add my own thank-you for all your effort starting and running this wonderful resource.  B-)  (As someone who has run mailing lists and co-administered conferencing systems, I can appreciate how much work it is and how often thankless the users seem.)"

Thankyou so much for your participation.  You post good stuff, I, and lots of other folks have learned a great deal from your comments.  Folks like you help make this a good place.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:22:57 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.