Author Topic: It's in the air  (Read 1335 times)

billymc

It's in the air
« on: October 31, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »

LINK to .wmv Video file

Well this is my time killer!  As you can see, the location is very bad.  I'm in town and don't think I can go much higher than I am now(20') without using neighbors yards. It is a .75 hp motor conversion with a 5' diameter carved prop.

I didn't want to have to deal with tripping over and mowing around guy wires and so I internally guyed the tower.  Should be OK at this low height.

Don't have any numbers yet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:14:51 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: It's in the air
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:38:06 PM »
billymc;

Sweet! I would be interested in some details on the tower. It looks like it is built from EMT. Also curious on the "internally guyed" aspect of your setup.

Again, very nice unit and I wish you luck with it!

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:38:06 PM by TomW »

billymc

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 01:15:40 PM »
Hey TowW,

The tower is built from EMT. This one is 3/4" and is built from a design that I read about several years ago in a book by Michael Hackleman.  I believe the book is "Wind and Wind Spinners", might be different book though.  I would read any of his books on Wing Gennys as they are a hoot to read. His design is for a 44' tower from 1" EMT.

My guy system is simply eyebolts at the top of the first section and mobile home anchors in the ground, and very hard clay ground it is! I hope the pic is clear enough to show some detail because I seem to be having a hard time explaining it!! lol.

billymc
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 01:15:40 PM by billymc »

Old F

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:43:30 PM »
Billymc

I know  how hard it is to explain.

Even thro there straight they can look crooked . : )

Yours is looking great.

Here is how I built a 30 footer  in ten foot bolt together  sections.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2003/12/25/172023/12

Keep having fun

Old F

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 08:43:30 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

domwild

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
Congratulations! Looks good!

1. Did the magnets come from a microwave??
  2. I guess the magnets are glued (epoxied) in at an angle to get around cogging. How did you arrive at the angle? Just any old angle?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 10:14:00 PM by domwild »

billymc

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:06:38 AM »
The magnets are from OP, item #3. Our hosts sell them in 100 lots on ebay. For the skew, I just followed the twist of the armature. It has lines of aluminum in the stacked steel laminates. Zubbly has has the rundown on skewing: 36 slots = 10 degrees, or 360 degrees/Number of slots. This worked well for this project.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 05:06:38 AM by billymc »

billymc

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 05:54:16 PM »
Well, I took the thing down and gutted the stator.  It was making all kinds of voltage but no power.  Was seeing upwards of 50 volts open but couldn't get any amps on load.  Just too much resistance in the windings.  I removed all but one set of coils. It had originally been a 4 speed fan motor and had many sets of coils.  Never have been able to seperate the coils like Zubbly does with the larger motors. Too much varnish and too small wires. After removing the minor coils and leaving only the main run windings, I had six coils with 1.4 ohms each. I connected every other coil in series and had 2 phases of 3 coils each, which are separatley rectified.  Now the motor really loads up when the leads are shorted.  There are some empty slots that I can add coils to if needed.  I think it should match up well to the 5' prop as is though.  Hope to have wind soon and maybe some numbers.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 05:54:16 PM by billymc »