Author Topic: Lenz2 pushing over 450 watts  (Read 13748 times)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Lenz2 pushing over 450 watts
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »
Seemed simple after I saw your upwind .mpg.

Like I said, I had 2 hours start to finish. I thought it be a cool spinner, and would keep turning or at least turn longer in the wind.

The base dia is nearly 10", the height is 2.6", the dia of the leading edge(?) is 1", blade leading to trailing edge is 2.8". The angle is 9 degrees.

The tin edges are a little cleaner than they look in the photo. Only one blade has a stamp mark (far blade). It seems well balanced. And that is genuine hot glue!

Thanks Ed.

G-

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 08:04:59 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nothing to lose

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005, 09:52:43 AM »
I looked at the pics on your site for the lenz2 again now. I see how it's made and understand it better after looking at the picture again. It had been awhile since I saw the picture and I was thinking a bit off. Now I see the extension and wing more clearly.

And that's the Stirling I was wondering about also. Mighty nice work your doing there.

I like those others on your site also.

I wish my stuff only got put on a shelf. I turn my back for a day and I think my projects get buried under rocks in the yard somewhere, or at least half the parts do.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:52:43 AM by nothing to lose »

windstuffnow

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005, 01:01:41 PM »
  I see now.   Ain't that cute !   Actually the wing width should be 1.875 inches and the total length of the wind should be 4 inches.  You don't have alot of area exposed to the wind with the smaller wings.  You want to cover no less than 38% of the circumference.  10" diameter would be 31 inches circumference x .38 = 11.78 inches exposed to the wind so each wing length (chord - leading edge to trailing edge) would be 11.78 / 3 wings = 3.92 or an even 4 inches.  I use the diameter as a function for both width and length:

width = diameter x .1875

length = diameter x .4

so on a 10" disc you'd end up with...

1. x .1875 = 1.87" width
  2. x .4 = 4" length

As a base to work with, I'm getting 5 watts per sq ft in a 15 mph wind average.  So if you built a 1/2 sq ft unit you should see about 2.5 watts in the same wind.  That would be a 10" diameter by 1.4 ft tall ( or a 12 x 12 ).  The 10" diameter should run about 168 rpm loaded in a 6 mph wind.  

If you build another one let me know how it works out !

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 01:01:41 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

windstuffnow

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:07 PM »
  Hannu,

That's a neat little project you have there.  Some of the experiments I've done on "spiral" or offset blades have resulted in less torque overall.   Maybe you'll have better luck with them.   I've found that when the blades are lined up so to speak you will get large pulse's of torque at given points in rotation where the spirals or offset sections give you about 1/3 the torque with no noticeable pulse.  Although its a more constant output it's still less than the overall of its full potential.  I still have some "dead" spots to overcome on the Lenz turbine but at this point its performing pretty well, although, still in the lower range of my expectations.  

Let us know how your little spiral turbine works out, it looks quite interesting and I'm sure has some good potential to make some power!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 01:15:07 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005, 02:49:41 PM »
Yikes!  I sure missed something earlier.

I didn't figure the circumference made such a difference, this is the exact diameter of the Wife's strainer

The blades 'looked OK', and were as big as was here for decent metal (HD and floppy cases).

I will build another, maybe 5" high x 10"D. And maybe for fun I'll put these blades on about a 5" disk, I'll have to check the cookware.

The 168RPM will have the LEDs glowing easy enough (it's non rectified 3 phase).  More than 0.2W (7Vx0.025A) will cook the LEDs anyway.

Afraid it won't look a lot different though.  :/

Thanks Ed,

G-

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 02:49:41 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

motorhead2

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 04:50:17 PM »
I wouldnt try to get too cute with the blades.When you get up in the 8x8 range like mine.Things can get scarry but cool.I think any type of blade control would fail in moderate winds.The best way is shaft speed controls,which im working on.The nice thing is you can do it in your warm basement.Any braking device would be additional heat.Like Ed says have fun.Vawts are cool!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:50:17 PM by motorhead2 »

cyplesma

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 01:32:11 PM »
hmmmmm, what I mean to say.... this would be a very rough idea to explain my concept.

imagine a box around your genny.

half of each side (left / right, not top or bottom half) of the box is moveable. the moveable sides slide to open or close the box. Use the wind to push a lever to slide the box closed.

8 ft would be a big box though.

I saw a web site long ago on some vawt design that had vertical slats along the outter most ring of the genny. I thought these slats were for this kinda of purpose. I haven't been able to fins that site lately. Something to do with using vawts to generate power for street lamps along remote hard to grid highway locations.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 01:32:11 PM by cyplesma »

ZooT

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 05:46:09 PM »

If you have a shaft running through the center of the VAWT you could experiment with using a pair of minibike centrifigal clutches as an overspeed braking system and adjust the brake cut-in via using lighter or heavier springs on the clutch shoes...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 05:46:09 PM by ZooT »