Author Topic: Solar Panel Operation  (Read 951 times)

Ravi

Solar Panel Operation
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:28:40 AM »

1. does it act like a constant current source
  2. how do i get 3.3V@100mA from a panel with a Voc=22V and Isc=5A if a load that draws 1A is also present

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 06:28:40 AM by (unknown) »

maker of toys

Re: Solar Panel Operation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 03:06:54 AM »
one:  maybe, sometimes, sorta.  depending on how you define 'constant', what the lighting is like, and what the load parameters are. best to get a meter or two and some high-wattage resistors and experiment for yourself.  with that panel, you might burn a finger or smoke a resistor, but you'll be hard pressed to do any lasting damage to anything important.

two:  impossible to determine from details given.  we'll need to know what the loads are to give a complete answer, if one is possible.  

-Dan

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 03:06:54 AM by maker of toys »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:08:56 AM »
to 2nd question:

Use a LM317 voltage regulator IC; adjustable from 2.5 to 30-something volts (you adjust to 3.3V); max. current = 1.5A.

Search for 'datasheet LM317' (made by National Semiconductor). In it, you should find all the info you need to build a 3.3V voltage regulator.

However, from your question I deduce that you have limited electronics experience; it might be wiser to try & find someone you know to help you on this one.

Succes.

Peter,

The Netherlands.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:08:56 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

Nando

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 11:18:05 AM »
The solution to your problem is the use of a PWM regulator set to voltage limit of 3.3 volts with a constant current set up of 100 ma.

All depends on your electronic capabilities, as well as, the capabilities of building small electronic circuits in prototype form.

There are now a large number of small SMD (Surface Mounted Device) PWM regulators that have a good Vin voltage and good output current capability with the possibility of including constant current settings.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:18:05 AM by Nando »