Author Topic: The simplest of wind generators  (Read 1275 times)

TexasWind

The simplest of wind generators
« on: November 21, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »
I have decided to start out with something really simple.  I would like to make some bucket blades from a 5 gallon pail, and affix them to my trolling motor which will be my genny.  So, a few questions:

1. How should I mark the blades-to-be, and with what should I cut them?  (I would rather avoid creating a bunch of plastic spliters if I can help it).
  2. What should I do for a hub?
  3. What should I try to power with it?  (Assuming I have enough wind, I thought about trying to run a simple 12v trailer tail light).

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:08:19 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: The simplest of wind generators
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »
Sandia National Labs have some good drawings.

With 2 and 3 'blades', and the Savinous (sp).

A connected bulb will act like a short or a brake.

Its better to charge a battery because the mill can get turning before there is an electrical load.

Not sure, but the trolling motor probably needs to turn much faster than a "regular" old style VAWT will spin, before it blows up.

Bicycle parts may vield some good hub type stuff for something that size.

G-

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 09:23:00 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:13:55 AM »
http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2793/little_erma_004.avi

Newbie;

A link, that should help you with insperation <-sp?.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 11:13:55 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 01:44:10 PM »
For cutting PVC I used an up in downer saw. Scroll saw, jigsaw, called different things sometimes.

Fine toothed blade, probably a smooth cut sheet metal blade. I had cut a computer case awhile back, dought I changed the blade.

Nice clean cut.

Depending on your bucket, might just drill a hole smaller than the motor shaft in the bottom and press fit it on. If that won't work try using wood. I made a hub out of 3/4'  chip board for a motor that worked very well for a long time. Had a circle of it I had cut from a new floor for a toilet pipe hole. Just drilled the center hole a bit larger but smaller than the motor shaft and tapped it on with a hammer. Lasted along time, I tested many blades on that piece of wood. If all else fails, right now I have a short piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled centered :)

You geussed it, tapped on with hammer to motor shaft. This one has a 2 blade Zubbly PVC blade on it held on with only 2 wood screws. One each side of shaft. Use more screws! I don't care if mine comes off, fact is I am waiting to see if it does. Nothing to hurt here if it does come loose.

So far for smaller stuff press fitted wood has been working well for me as a hub. I make it pretty tight fit. Probably need a gear puller to get that 2x4 chunk back off. Beware of a thin board, you'll probably split it trying to hammer it on, and don't ruin your motor beating it with a hammer either. Drill the hole straight not angled ro your blades will wobble of course. Hammer/press it on straight also same reason.

I would use wood screws to fasten the plastic blades to a wood hub then and balance it good.

What to power? Hmmm after building a wind gennie a cold beer is nice, maybe power the frig. Huh, no probably not eh.

Ok, normally when I put one up I have the wires shorted to begin with, that should act as a brake so it's not spinning. Then I test with a meter to see if I am getting power open circuit when I untwist the wires and it starts free spinning. This is in mild minds. Most of the time I have one end of an extension cord wired to the gennie, the female end you plug into I have extra plugs to use with it. I can just swap plugs and not mess with twisting wires. One wires are shorted for braking. One has bare wires. Another is wired with a bridge rectifier so AC is converted to DC. Often I try runnning a 12V fan directly from the bridge. I use a heavier larger fan, one of those plugin fans for car cigarette lighters, 6" I think.

Only on a small gennie! And I already have an idea from indoor testing what my max power might be.

Last winter I had a test mill up for a good while, I just ran the fan all the time direct from the mill. The extension cord was brought into the house and the fan was next to the wood burner. When the wind blew the fan ran and circulated hot air from the wood burner around the room. Turned very slow with little wind, pretty darned fast in good winds. No battey used for that one. Running direct I knew how the winds were and how the genny was working by how fast the fan was running. I'll be doing that again soon. Too much power though will burn out a fan like that, no voltage control, so it has to be a kinda weak gennie for me.

Use your imagination and be carefull. Wind gennies can shock like anything else if you got a powerfull one you know.

Right now I have that one flying with the 2x4 hub, it is not doing much, bad location, trees in the way etc.., I have a computer fan wired direct to it next to the wood burner. Starts up and runs every so often if the wind catches the gennie just right. Not getting enough speed with the blades, to long I need to shorten them for that motor as a gennie. After I shorten them then I can see if the fan runs better.

Best if you connect a battery to charge, but I like to see what the gennie is doing sometimes without watching meters, with fans I know by how they are spinning when wired direct like this. But then like I said you risk burning them up too. I about half expect to fry the computer fan before I am done.

If you use the light bulb like was mentioned it will act as a short and cause start up to be harder, probably my fans do also, if it is all ready spinning though and you connect the bulb it should light up, blow out, or slow the mill down. Depending on the power you have and your mill.

I did wire up a string of Christmas lights last year direct to a small mill, it did not cause the mill to start hard, but they never lit up either. That was direct connect as AC without rectifier to convert it though. Open volts way up there, nothing for lights though.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:44:10 PM by nothing to lose »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:22:27 PM »
my little erma is getting famous! cool!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 03:22:27 PM by electrondady1 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA