Author Topic: Variable Rotation Rates And 60 Herz  (Read 1234 times)

IntegEner

Variable Rotation Rates And 60 Herz
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:37:32 PM »
The websites documenting the utility scale wind turbines - the megawatt class turbines - seem to be forever unable to say why the blade rotors need to turn at variable rates - slow for low wind speeds and fast for high wind speeds. There is more to be said about this facet of turbine operation than just that "the blade rotors store energy in their rotational kinetic momentum that is released when the gusts subside for more uniform generation".

They also have trouble with descriptions of how the asynchronous variable frequency generated power is converted to the fixed 60 Herz frequency. Hesitation on the part of the electrical utilities on both of these accounts seems understandable. Compared with synchronous generation this sounds like an unhappily tortuous way to make power.

The blades need to run at TSRs (tangential speed ratios for each inch along their lengths) that satisfy the blade efficiency curve. This is eminently analyzable and calculable and, in fact, I have done it as demonstrated in the material on the IntegEner-W website in Chapter 12 of the BSABTSK draft material to be found there. A TSR of about 1, again along each inch of blade length, provides about 83% blade efficiency, 1.5 provides about 90%, and 2 provides about 95% blade efficiency under ideal blade conditions. For anything less than a TSR of 1 this efficiency drops off rapidly, to be seen certainly along portions of the blades nearer their roots (despite such efforts as creating wide blade chords there, etc.). So blade rotation rates play a part in keeping blade efficiencies high and within expectations.

On the other hand, blade parasitic drag negates the energy produced and becomes important at higher TSRs especially out at the blade tips. Some say and it is probably true that parasitic drag is a function of the blade tangential velocity squared, a fairly serious obstacle to making energy with side implications relating to the importance of its control by means of proper blade profile design. Maintaining a balance between blades running at rates high enough to keep blade efficiency high while keeping their parasitic drag low is the true purpose of variable blade rotation rates. Somehow this should be explained better within the field and more widely understood.

The conversion of the power produced to 60 Herz AC power also needs to be clarified. In this modern day and age advancements have been made in turning electrical current on and off rapidly at high frequencies by means of devices such as mercury arc valves and thyristors. This obviates the need to transfer power chronologically from one portion of the AC cycle to another by means of capacitors or inductors. The great successes in converting power wholesale for high voltage DC line transmission is a testament to the capability now available to do this. Making use of DC, in place of AC, generators within the multi-megawatt turbines? Brushes or brushless, I don't know, but it seems as easy as pie to do. The power then is converted to synchronous pure sine wave AC with no reactive component at all by the same technology used as mentioned above for the power lines. If someone makes a case that continuing to use the inductive asynchronous AC generators is cheaper or better somehow then let it be. Within the realm of thought engineering it can always be said that the problem has a solution that is, in the last analysis, trivial.

So much for the corporate and, indeed, international fights over the ownership of the variable blade rotation rate technology and the questions about the quality of the power produced. Wind energy deserves to make its case better and questions like this one need better explanations.

Anthony Chessick

IntegEner-W

www.integener.com

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 05:37:32 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »
'They also have trouble with descriptions of how the asynchronous variable frequency generated power is converted to the fixed 60 Herz frequency. Hesitation on the part of the electrical utilities on both of these accounts seems understandable. Compared with synchronous generation this sounds like an unhappily tortuous way to make power.'

Well they are dealing with a resource that does not have a consistant input....

'Some say and it is probably true that parasitic drag is a function of the blade tangential velocity squared, a fairly serious obstacle'-

IIRC - drag is a cube factor...

'Maintaining a balance between blades running at rates high enough to keep blade efficiency high while keeping their parasitic drag low is the true purpose of variable blade rotation rates.'

Actually, some designers use different aproaches.

But, it is quite obvious to me a bit more study is needed by some.

---------

There have been many papers and studies written and hundreds on millons of my tax dollars spent on this research. Much research is available on the internet.

Jacobs put his patents in the open market before WWII.  Most other blade pitch control mechanisms are older patents or considered common knowledge now.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:48:34 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Chiron

Re: Variable Rotation Rates And 60 Herz
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:11:38 PM »
>>The websites documenting the utility scale wind turbines - the megawatt class turbines - seem to be forever unable to say why the blade rotors need to turn at variable rates - slow for low wind speeds and fast for high wind speeds.<<

Lift type blades are most efficient when they are (almost) perpendicular to the airflow and the rotational speed matches the wind speed and TSR. With a constant speed generator this would mean a very narrow range of wind speeds that the turbine would operate with any reasonable efficiency.

The early utitlity scale turbines used syncronous generators and fixed blades and spent most of thier time either not producing power or having to yaw out of the wind to keep from overloading the generator or "stalling" the blades.

Varible pitch on the blades allows for a much wider range of wind speeds on a synchronous generator and in the case of more modern generators to overcome the momentum of the gearbox, generator and the blades themselves by pitching them back for better tourque in a reactive mode until the blades reach a speed where the lift properties can take over. Like an airplane below a certain (forward) speed they will not produce any lift. I even had the chance to experiment a few times with this, with the brake set, pitch the blades up to thier normal operating position, release the brake. In a 20MPH wind it took forever (ok, about 4 or 5 minutes) before the blades began to "fly" where it would be less than a minute if the blades were pitched back 25Deg. until the lift effect could take over.

With varible pitch blades and variable speed generators the Z750 could "cut in" in winds as low as 5 or 6 MPH (10kW) and at about 22 to 25MPH be producing 750kW above that the blades pitch back again and it will produce power up to 70MPH when it will "pause out" by pitching the blades so they are paralel to the wind.

>>The conversion of the power produced to 60 Herz AC power also needs to be clarified. <<

VSCFWRIG (variable speed constant frequency wound rotor induction generator) technology was first used in Zond wind turbines until they were bought out by GE. GE wind turbines of 1.5MW and above also use it now. Vestas and other European turbines manufatured over the past few years use a variation of the same technology.

If you look at how an induction motor or generator works it's like a transformer with a rotating secondary winding. If the rotor is moving slower than syncronous speed it will draw power from the line and tend to accelerate it to synchronous speed. If the rotor is moving faster than Syn. then it will tend to be slowed down by the line and produces power in the process. Many of the early utility scale turbines used synchronous generators.

How the VSCFWRIG handles the wide range of rotor speeds is that it's a wound rotor.

The energized stator doesn't react to the windings in the rotor themselves but to the rotating magnetic field they produce.

In the Zond Z750 the synchronous speed of the Gen. is 1200RPM. Below that speed the rotor is modulated  by pulsing currnet into it so that the stator "sees" a rotating magnetic field at the proper speed.

Above 1200RPM the rotor is modulated by drawing power off it at the proper phase and magnitude.

The Z750 will "kick in" at about 850RPM and produce about 10kW at that speed, About 15kW coming off the stator and 5kW going into the rotor. (produced power drops to 0 at about 800RPM, the rotor drawing as much as the stator produces at that point) At 1200RPM the Stator is producing 500kW and the rotor is pretty much idle. At speeds of 1200 to 1320 RPM stator power remains at 500kW and the rotor will produce an additional 250kW.

Tourque management and power factor control are 2 other advantages of VSCFWRIG.

Tourque management more efficiently handles lulls and gusts in the wind. Power factor....

>>So much for the corporate and, indeed, international fights over the ownership of the variable blade rotation rate technology and the questions about the quality of the power produced. Wind energy deserves to make its case better and questions like this one need better explanations.<<

Zond and Xantrex (Trace) developed the first practical varible speed technology. Investors put thier money into an idea so that the Engineers could develop it and bring it to market. This is called Capitalism. Some of the basic research may have been funded by taxpayers but the R&D for this technology at least was private funds.

Quality of power or "Power factor" is a major issue when your dealing with multiple Megawatts of power. Phase and impedance matching are held to within 0.1% even on the obsolete Zonds I was working on. Basicaly anything other than a pure sine wave power output in phase with the grid causes heat, stray currents and can take out transformers and substations in severe mismatches. This is one reason why multiple Megawatt inverters for grid feeding are so expensive.

Another reason the utility companies prefer induction type generators is thier inherent safety. If they lose power from the grid they can't produce power, mechanical safety systems automaticaly kick in the bring the turbine to a stop within 10 seconds.

This is usualy presented as a safty issure for the linemen for small grid connected inverters. But imagine being on the "live" side of a breaker opening at a substation and having 100+Mw of power coming into your small town from the nearby wind farm.....

If only one of the 3 phases is lost there are 3 different systems that will shut the turbine down that all react almost as fast.

I wish the political and legal problems with developing large scale wind and other alternative energy resources were as simple as the technology behind them ;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 09:11:38 PM by Chiron »

Gary D

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:59:28 AM »
Chiron, you have some insider info. on power in the large wind farms power curves. Can/ will you give any non private info as to the expected output of the machines you've worked on in a class 3 wind zone? Realizing the output would be lower unless the turbine swept area is larger... There are many areas East of the mississippi river (and in almost every state for that matter) with class 3 areas near population centers (less transmition line hassles).

Pennsylvania under the current administration wants to get 1000 megs. of renewables in the next few years. Possibly your company could profit with some jobs coming our way... We do currently have several windfarms with the more elusive class 4 winds, but they are few and far apart. Thanks for any info you can provide... Gary D.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 07:59:28 AM by Gary D »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:22:59 PM »
As far as the variable rotation rates creating 60hz, I am a big fan of DC-AC inverters myself.  Simplifies alot of the issues with start-up, and rotor control.  Variable Speed "inverted" systems are also "grid friendly" as they do not require a draw from the grid to create power.  I think Mitsubishi has a 4MW variable speed, direct drive turbine that they are testing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:22:59 PM by paradigmdesign »

Chiron

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 07:59:21 PM »
I don't think anything I know about wind turbines is "secret" just like any patent it can be discussed but the only time I'd get into trouble is if I started building and selling turbines based on those patents. I wasn't working on any "new" technology, just getting the most out of what we had.

I'm not sure what the utilization factor would be in a class 3 wind area, I was working on a ridge with class 4 bordering on 5 wind resource. With the wind there we had a 36% power utilization. In other words a 1 Mw turbine would produce an average of 360kWH/hour over a year's time. This included downtime for repairs and maintanance.

My edjimacated guess would be that the same turbines in a class 3 area would run about 25% utilization and 30% is considered "marginal" for any new wind farms. That might be improved with longer blades depending on the overall wind profile.

The "class" of the wind in an area only tells part of the story. Somewhere that it's calm 11 months out of the year then has heavy gusts for a month could rate a class 3 but the last thing you want one of the big turbines to do is sit without rotating for long periods of time. That stesses the blades, the main bearing that the hub attaches to and the bean counters in the back office.

Turning too slow to produce any meaningful power is almost as bad, wear and tear on the generator, hydraulics and yaw plate under variable light loads causes more wear than running full power without the income from producing power in the process. Not to mention the bean counters....

The first step to finding out if a site is viable for a wind farm is to do a MISO study to find out if the local grid can handle it, and find out how far the power has to be sent before the utility can accept it. Next is to set up several meteorological towers around the proposed site and gather data for a couple of years to get a more acurate picture of the wind profile.

Then there's tax and other incentives from the State and Fed gummints, locals objecting to the "eyesore". If it's viable overall one of the utilities or group of investors will build it, if it's not profitable over the long haul it will probably never happen.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 07:59:21 PM by Chiron »

Chiron

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:05 PM »
>>Simplifies alot of the issues with start-up, and rotor control.<<

Most of the variable speed systems have tourque control and can hold the load to a minimum ( no power produced) until the rotor is up to speed. The phase modulation of the generator smooths out lulls and gusts. How this is done isn't a secret either but without some fancy Math and Diagrams it would take forever to explain.

I've been giving a lot of thought to a variant of tourque control that could be used on a PM genny though. Probably not worth the bother but it keeps my mind busy ;)

Any newer large turbine is going to have varibale pitch blades so startup isn't an issue either. I'm not aware of any large turbines that have a "cut in" as low as 4MPH that don't use VSCF or a variant.

Anyone got a PM genny with that low a cut in? I suppose with big blades etc....

>>Variable Speed "inverted" systems are also "grid friendly" as they do not require a draw from the grid to create power.  <<

That is exactly why most utilities prefer an induction type generator. If the grid goes down there is NO CHANCE that it can backfeed the grid and cause damage/kill someone.

I've been refering to utility scale turbines used in the US. I know a grid connected inverter can shut down automaticaly when it loses power from the grid but the possibility of the safety systems failing though small do exist.

For a home/farmstead/small commercial system an inverter to either grid tie or produce power for domestic use makes sense. A small inverter hooked to the grid would probably trip on overcurrent if it tried to backfeed the grid anyway. Even small conventional power plants are straight induction generators for safety and simplification of control reasons.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:29:05 PM by Chiron »