Author Topic: Part Locations  (Read 1005 times)

theTinker

Part Locations
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:07:18 PM »
hey RE'ers

im sure something similar has been done before but i cant find one that is particularly suited. I have built a wind gen out of small magnets, wood and sum pvc pipe and connectors, it only manages to light up red LED. main problem was bad materials, so ive started with my next one and have been looking for bearings which i have found terribly difficult to get my hands on. NO shops anywhere within distance sells them near me, and any websites i can find are terribly expensive, upwards of 40$ for a silly ball bearing 1".

so i thought i would see could people who have found places which sell materials at a nice price offer thier wisdom for us beginners :)(only the good ones :))

for bearings the best places i can find are

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://stores.ebay.ie/BEARING-BARGAINS cheap and with thousands of previous sales

http://www.rhino.co.uk i think kinda expensive with the british exchange rate but have a huge assortment of useful motor and mechanial gadgets,good for conversions too.(free catalogue too ):)

Ray

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:07:18 PM by (unknown) »

georgeodjungle

Re: Part Locations
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 01:27:46 PM by georgeodjungle »

pepa

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 05:15:39 PM »
if you would like to make a snall windmill  to get your feet wet with and do it real cheap, find an old ceiling fan and take it apart. hnock the shaft out of the motor and use it with the two nice bearings and the two metal ends to give you something to start with. a couple of used saw blades, some small magnets,wire and a little emagination and you can even use the blades and wire.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:15:39 PM by pepa »

kitno455

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:18 AM »
look around a scrap dealers, motor rewinders, and maybe surplus stores. we have habitat for humanity 'restores' near us. the prices are not as cheap as scrap, but the money goes to a good cause. they always have lots of dishwashers and ceiling fans...

allan

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:30:18 AM by kitno455 »

Ding123

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
hey the Tinker...see if you can get an old water pump off a car, they seem to be plentiful...they already have 4 holes prethreaded, they work the same way a car hub works.All you need is some 5/16th threaded rod and cut it to the desired length...look in my files on this site for pictures...I used saw blades but you don't have to ,they are really hard to work with.

Ding123
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:53:58 PM by Ding123 »