Author Topic: My new conversion  (Read 932 times)

billymc

My new conversion
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:12:05 AM »
Finally got one that I think will work:

1. hp
  2. phase
  3. /460 volt

I managed to get the Y connection located and separated as per Zubbly's instructions (Thank you Zubbly!) and have 12 leads.  Each coil has just over 4 ohms resistance.  The rotor was turned down to accept 8 - ½" X 3/8" neos per pole.  The mags were glued to the rotor with just a spot of JB weld so it doesn't creep around the mags.  I'll have to go through the postings and check with local shops and find which resin or epoxy to fill in around the mag cage with.

Some preliminary tests of just spinning by hand revealed over 12 volts AC for just a single coil.  When connected `1Y' I got over 70 volts when spun by hand.  Cogging was very light.  I plan on connecting it 2 delta for 12 volt battery charging to start with. May try to go with 3 phase heating element with '1Y' connection if it seems to produce enough power to mess with.  A guy at work suggested an oil filled heater as it would maybe even out the heat a little bit.  Sounds logical!

Currently have a 5' diameter prop flying on a small but ineffective unit but think I will want to put an 8 footer on this alt.  I have one roughed out from a few years back and will have to look at it and see if it's usable.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 01:12:05 AM by (unknown) »

kitno455

Re: My new conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 07:25:39 AM »
jerry recommends the locktite marine epoxy for this. waterproof, non-metallic.

personally, i have never used a product from them that did not work as advertised.

allan

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 07:25:39 AM by kitno455 »