Author Topic: Air Powered Cars  (Read 1340 times)

healerenergy

Air Powered Cars
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:43:00 AM »
The TV  Show Beyond Tomorrow in one of their episodes had 2 stories about air powered vehicles. The air motors that  were small but  seemed to be powerful and could to help make our world a better place.  For those living off the grid these air motors might be something worth checking out. I personally would like to get 1 or 2 of these motors to put in my current minivan if they are powerful enough.  It would be great to mix with an electric air compressor and a small cartop VWAT and 1 or 2 batteries.  The VWAT turbine would be collaposable and is for when the car is at parked to replenish the bateries for running the air compressor to fill the air tanks.  I have yet to contact the companies to see how expensive the motors would be.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:43:00 AM by (unknown) »

asheets

Re: Air Powered Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:40 PM »
How many psi do you need to move 1500lbs an appreciable distance at 40mph?  My die grinder eats 90psi in 10 minutes max while grinding rust out of my Geo Metro...

Given energy conversion efficiencies, heat dissapation, weight issues in having a ultra-high PSI tank, etc, I'd bet you'd make better use of the VAWT generating hydrogen or charging batteries instead...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:47:40 PM by asheets »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
Maybe the post won't disappear this time. http://www.theaircar.com/ Interesting read though much of it is over my head.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 02:29:50 PM by zap »

healerenergy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
So far from my limited reading this is the motor that I like the best and it will opperate at pressures as low as 1 psi.  It is also supposed to be very effecient and could power a car a far greater distance even in a hybred setup the show told the distance but I can't remember what they said.

http://www.engineair.com.au/airmotor.htm
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:16:15 PM by healerenergy »

pyrocasto

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 06:13:52 PM »
Electric would probably be much more efficient, leave air powered almost useless. Windmill to charge batteries, to drive efficient electric motor.

Instead of wind chargint the batteries, to drive the air compressor, to drive the un efficient air motor.

Just MHO. ;)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:13:52 PM by pyrocasto »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 01:04:02 PM »
http://www.engineair.com.au/airmotor.htm

Looks like they are trying to sell "production licenses" rather than cars.

40 km/h.  My bicycle can beat that.

Sad part is that stuff like this takes away from real long term solutions.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 01:04:02 PM by Phil Timmons »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
healer;

It would be interesting to see the video on the car.

I took a look at the link. It looks a whole lot like a Tesla air motor.

There's at least one misteak on the website; when they start talking about "without any friction, inside the cylindrical stator" I start looking closer.

Do a google on Tesla turbines and take a good close look at those. People have been making these for a while now and they are very efficient, but the last time I looked into these they weren't making outrageous claims.

They can be built very small or very large, just takes good 'milling' skills.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 12:59:24 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard