Author Topic: 3rd test alt under way.  (Read 2894 times)

Jerry

3rd test alt under way.
« on: February 26, 2006, 03:59:56 AM »
I had a hard time sleeping last night. And then this idea poped into my head.

6 pole ac, single phase motor. This is the box fan type but much larger and better built. Its a furnace blower motor. Most motors of this type have 36 slots. This motor only has 6 slots.

I will wind 3 coils just as I did in the littel 3 phase disc test alt.

I will wind the coils of 21 gage wire 2 in hand. 2 in hand of #21 gage is equal to 1 in hand 18 gage.

Even though I'll be winding 2 wires at the same time I will not conect them together.

This gives me the ability to wire each phase/coil in sires or perelell.

I'll also try to leave enogh space for the 18 gage wire that star will need to bring its voltage up to that of delta/jerry riged. As we've learned star fall short of doing this on its own so we have to help it out with a cheater coil. The 18 gage will equal the 2 21gage 2 in hand.

The benifit of this alt is all perameters can easaly be changed or accessed by changeing a few conections. No rotor to swap out and there will be no doubt about the turns count because the same coils will be used for star, star cheat, delta, delta/jerry riged.

I intend to make as many tests and measurements as posable to expose the diferances of all of the above phase topographies.

Here are a couple pix of the doaner motor stator. I will use a 4 magnet rotor for the 3 to 4 ratio.

The last picture show the wire I loaded onto 2 reals to facilitate

winding the coils 2 in hand.

I'll try to draw up schimatics of my proposed idea next week.

Here we go again.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 03:59:56 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: 3rd test alt under way.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 04:05:42 AM »
"Here are a couple pix of the doaner motor stator. I will use a 4 magnet rotor for the 3 to 4 ratio."

Nice looking motor. So if you have 6 coils in there like that, you still want 4 pole not 6 pole rotor? For some reason when I saw that picture my first thought was 6 magnets.

"I had a hard time sleeping last night. And then this idea poped into my head."

Me too, no new ideas just no sleep.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 04:05:42 AM by nothing to lose »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi NTL.

Yes 6 magnets 6 coils will be single phase and it would work very well accept one big problem. Sevier cogging. You'd have to put a pipe wrench on the shaft to turn it with the # 29S curved NEOs. I do have a 6 magnet #29 armature but with a 1/4" gap and its fairly hard to turn. The 6 pole motors with 36 slots do not have that as agressive coccing. Its much easyer for the magnets to jump from slot to slot on the higher count sloted motors.

I think though there could be some excellent power extracted from these small motors.

Way more than a SW403.

The 1 HP garbage didposal motors are rated 10 amps at 120 vac (1200 watts). You can tell as a motor this 6 pole type is not very efficient, its rateing is 1/4 HP, 9.5 amps 120 volt. Near the same power consumption but only 1/4 th the HP power.

However this 6 pole motor is rated 1050 rpm and the 4 pole 1 HP garbage disposal motor is rated 1725 rpm. Lower rpm and more poles are great for wind generaters.

The rerason for 4 magnets is for a 3 phase configuration and posable reduction of the heavy cogging. Since only 1 magnet can be centered over 1 pole at any given time rather than 6 centered over 6.

As in my littel 3 phase test alt there are 4 magnets for 3 coils, this some what mimics that but there will be two 3 coil stators side by side.

The original motor coils are wired in sires. This means that there are six 20 volt coils at 9.5 amps each end to end. If we seperate all six coils and place a fullwave bridge on each and then perelell the dc outputs (delta/jerry riged) we have effectivly perelelled the power of the 6 coils or 20 volts at 57 amps (1140 watts). However as a pma we don't get that direct relationship diode losses, less rpm from the blade ect, ect.

A wireing scheem that could simplify things would be to sires any 2 coils directly accross from each other, since these coils are in phase and can work together 40 volts would be there motor voltage and more as volts as a pma 1 coil VS 2 coils. This can be 1 phase. This alolows the motor or now pma to operate as 3 phase. You can now wire these 3 coil groups as star(that sucks) delta or delta/jerry riged. Witch ever is your preferance and works best for your blade and voltage requierments.

Wireing the coils in sires will reduce rpm requirements but will also reduce available amperage. So you play with combination of phasing and coil asignments till your happy with the outcome.

I have not placed the 4 magnet rotor in this stator yet but I'm shure the cogging will be less then the 6 magnet stator.

Bringing wires out of the motor can in this 3 coil only test alt will give all the options for phase types and the addition of the cheater coil to help star overcome its out of phase voltage loss will make the evalaluation of all of the phase posabilities very quike and accurate. It will eliminated any discrepancies that coils exsist in the dual rotor disc test alt such as, coil alignment, coil shape, coil size, wire gage, turns count, magnet placement on and on.

In my mind this alt will end the debate. It was sugjested there would be some diferance in expected results from the GM alt, are gap dual rotor and now motor conversion but so far the results have been the same (star sucks). I think that will hold true in this 3rd test alt as well.

It will be very hard for my distractors to discount this alt test. Thats the reason I've disided to build this alt. If its cogging is bad that doesn't matter. The lathe can spin it and its purpose is to validate my proposal of a more efficient use of magnets and copper.

I've never rewond an ac motor and this type is much easyer than the 36 slot type and it easely provides the 3 phase formate that is the center of this dibate.

In a day or 2 I'll try to present the schimatic diagrams of these diferant phase scheems I'm presenting here and a very complete set of test figures.

And you know me some pictures to.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:14:41 AM by Jerry »

elvin1949

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:58:33 PM »
Jerry

Looking forward to this round,even though

i am already sold on your thought's.

having fun keeping up with this.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 07:58:33 PM by elvin1949 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:06:09 PM »
Ok, I did not think about that cogging. Yes I geuss that would be horrible in that motor with 6 magnets then.

Well you should have the #29's I sent either on Monday or Teusday if you need them for this motor/alt conversion. I look forward to seeing the results also.

I was kinda reading the posts on the Jerry/delta I geuss it is, but I had missed a couple. I think I found them now when I was looking for the post on those fuses and holders you had listed. Still never found that fuse post though. I think somehow I lost some bookmarks on this computer.

NTL

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:06:09 PM by nothing to lose »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Well here are some pix of a littel more I did today on the stator. coils are wound. Stator is done. A littel more work on the 4 magnet rotor in a day or 2 this alt will be ready for testing.

I used masking tape in the slots were the metal is sharp and jagid. I was surprized how easy this motor is to wind. I had room for 36 turns 2 in hand 21 gage. I've saved some space for the star cheater coils. The star cheater coils will be wound of 18 gage this equals 2 X 21 gage.

I have not wound the star cheater coils yet. I will asssemble and test the alt to find the nessesary added turns count to bring stars voltage up to delta/jerry riged.

2 feed spools for the 2 in hand coil winding.

1. coil and pretective masking tape.
  2. coils wound masking tape not removed yet.

2 coils in 1 the blacks are the start of each coil the reds are the ends of each coil. this makes it real easy to identifi for sires(delta/jerry riged) or perelell star.

All coils done ready for rotor.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:48:30 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
I stated the wrong thing above. I said no rotors to swap out. I ment no stators to swap out. This one stator can duplicate all phase conditions being debated here. Just by changing wire conections. This asures that all alternater componets are equal and same.

I wanted to measure the dc resistance of each coil. 6 coils in all, 2 each wound together for each phase. Problem is the dc resistance is very low. Each coil only has 36 turns of 21 gage. So I wired all 6 coils in sires and measued 1.74 ohms after deducting .05 ohms for the test leads on my Fluke meter. 1.74 ohms devided by 6 for .29 ohms per coil.

This will give .145 ohms dc per coil star and .29 ohms dc per any 2 star legs. This will give .58 ohms dc per delta coil or a delta jerry/riged equated resistence of .19333 ohms dc.

I don't know the added resistance yet of the star cheater coil. Won't know that untill data on star cheater coils is determend.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:42:59 PM by Jerry »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 02:30:35 AM »
hey jerry..

made a new stator for my latest mill a while back--of course i wired in star..

its made up of 14-17 wire--120 turns per coil..any way it still had a hard time lighting up a 13v.250watt. landing light--using my electric plug in 1200rpm hand drill-

it would bog the drill down real slow..so i rewired the stator--real easy--just disconnected the three wires from star--then hooked up a fully bredged rect. to each phase..now it works great..lights up that landing light to full bright..and without bogging down the drill[acts like theres hardly a load on it at all!]..

so next i hooked up my 28volt 400watt landing light..well it didn"t go to full bright-but i bet with my blade on it in a good wind it would..

any way not bad for a ceramic and neo powered mill..---open volts in star was close to 60--havent tested for open volts [jerry rigged]--late here--will do more tests in the next few days and toss up some picts..........

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:30:35 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:29:45 AM »
Hi Jerry!

Just in case you want one more thing to do,

I would like to know how the wave form looks on an O-Scope.

G-

PS- Had "a major set back" on the dual rotor with speaker plates.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:29:45 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 09:58:48 AM »
Hi G

Anything I can help with on the littel dual rotor?

I have been lookingb at the wave forms on the scope. The car alt was a perfect sinewave the littel dual rotor looked like a capitol MW side bi side. M above the line W below the line with a littel rounding on the sharp peaks. I tried to take pictures but the don't turn out veiwable.

I'm thinking of just drawing a scetch of the forms?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:58:48 AM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »
Hiker thanks for the input. I'm glad its working for you.

Let use know about your next test.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:01:34 AM by Jerry »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:09:50 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but I think I have 'fix'.

(cheap bike parts are harder than good taps... long story that ends bad)

For the scope, I was more interested in the 4/6 motor being rewound in the first photo.  Like to know if there are dead spots between the n (M) and U (W) parts of the wave.

G-

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:09:50 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jerry

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
Hi G

I havn't looked at the 4/6 motor conversion on the scope yet. I did get it together today.

All the so far #s are on Fluxes diary above. But briflee with a 6 volt golf cart battery load.

Star 6.62 watts, delta/jerry riged 11.99 watts. Same rpm, same load, same coils. No helper or cheater coil for star yet.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:58:00 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 10:32:21 PM »
The scimatics of my star wireing and the delta/jerry riged.

These photos are a littel hard to make out. All 6 coils are shown. Star has 2 coils per phase leg in perelell and delta/jerry riged has 2 coils each phase leg wired sires with no common conection of phases.

The 2 leeds from each delta/jerry riged phase go to there own fullwave bridge rectifier.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:32:21 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 10:41:50 PM »
No shown in the star diagram is the additional 1 in hand 18 gage coil added to the end of star to bring its voiltage up to that of delta/jerry riged.

The number of turns has not yet been determend.

This ovcource voilates my pound for pound wishes but id does help star witout the sacrifice of using smaller wire to acomplish the same weight as delta/jerry riged and if any thing will help star keeping the larger gage wire should and the more turns should.

My opinion even with these 2 cruches star will still fall behind. I know thats not my original premiss but this should make the poin. 1 way or another?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:41:50 PM by Jerry »