Author Topic: Etrike and the genny Im building to charge it  (Read 2562 times)

wiredwrong

Etrike and the genny Im building to charge it
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:46:13 AM »
Everything I used to build this bike was gathered on "Big Junk Day's" or donated to me by people in the FreeCycle groups. The motor on the bike came from one of those mobility scooters for the disabled, I found it on Junk day, pulled the motor, charger and the controller off of it, the controller was no good, and the motor didnt turn when I first got it, and the charger didnt work either. But I got the charger going, and the motor working, the bike came from freecycle, the trike rear end was donated by a neighbor, the batteries came from the cable guy, here's a couple of pics of the trike.

The black batteries 12v 19AH, wired for 24v, only gave me a range of about 6-8miles,  so I tried the white ones, 12v 35 AH, wired for 24v, I left the black baterries there so that if Im out and Out of power I can flip a toggle and switch to the back up, Ive never had to do that in the couple of hundred miles Ive put on it in the last few weeks, The black battery's Ive had for a couple of years and they are not in the best of shape, these white ones seem to hold a charge a lot better.

Right now I charge it with the same charger that came out of the Mobilty scooter, I had to basicaly gut it and use just the transformer and the rectifier, no charge control stuff let in it and I just keep an eye on it till its charged, I hope I never forget and leave it unattended, I plan on getting a charge controoler soon.

Also I have a plan to charge this with wind, I went to the scrap yard and found this

Got it for $3.00, its a GE 95v 1725 RPM brushed dc I can light a headlight bulb with it to almost full brightness by hand, and Im trying a PVC prop somewhere in the area of 5feet in diameter, the blades are currently 30" each, and the hub Im going to use is an old saw blade, so somewhere about 5'3-4"?

I have a lead on an old 60' cb antenna tower that I can pick up for free, they said it needs some welding, I hope its heavy enough for the job, I have a welder so welding it back together wont be a problem, and if need be I'll beef it up. The blades were cut from 4" schedule 40, but Im looking for something bigger, these aree just to get some kind of guess as to what I really need up there. Comments welcome, Ideas about blade construction for this motor would be appreiciated also.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:46:13 AM by (unknown) »

rotornuts

Re: Etrike and the genny Im building to charge it
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:50:05 AM »
Nicely done. E-bikes are fun.

Does the trike's width cause any problems riding in traffic?

Mike

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:50:05 AM by rotornuts »

wiredwrong

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
Thanks, I havent really had any trouble riding in trafic, Im pretty wide in the shoulders anyway, so it dont really take up much more room than my mountain bike, I have noticed that uneven terrain will cause the bike to sway side to side, it needs some type of suspension, it has a top speed of about 15mph, and you really have to slow down to take a corner, if you go too fast around a corner the wheels will fold, Ive respoked the wheels once already but should have gone with bigger spokes, I may try and find some mag wheels. It will climb hills without slowing down much at all, and there is no need to pedal to take off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:35:28 AM by wiredwrong »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 01:34:59 AM »
I ment to say this before , that is very cool .

all you need now is an wind turbine at your destination :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:34:59 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)