Author Topic: My Set-up  (Read 816 times)

henjulfox

My Set-up
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »
I finally took the time to run around with a camera so I can share what folks have been helping me with.

On the roof are 4 X 75 watt PV panels, 16 X 64 Watt panels, and 2 X 100 watt panels for a total of 1,500 watts of capacity. I have been adding as I go as funds and E-bay deals come up. My best day so far has been 5.5 KWH collected.

Behind the chimney are 2 turbines. Both 1hp ECM's. One with a version of Jerry blades and one with 6 Hornet blades. To the left are 2 commercial turbines. A 500 watt Windseeker and an Air 403.

The wind turbines come into this combiner box. The heart(s) are "Watts-Up" meters. Nice little boxes that are powered from the batteries and record current, peak, and cumulative amphours. The results are that the Windseeker has recorded the highest peak amps but the ECM/Jerryblades beats them all easily for cumulative amphours, which is what matters.

The rotor for the motor conversion I'm finally calling finished. I did a lot of experimenting with magnet placement. Net result is that quantity and quality of magnets matter a lot more than how you place them.

I ended with 2 Neo's per pole, straddled with some small Samarium magnets to either side. The Samariums aren't great but they did kick up the output about 20%.

I'm still working on a test bed for it. My driving motor is too small. My best results so far have been 150 watts at 350 RPM but I know she has a lot more capability.

And lastly is the completed motor/generator with Art blades attached. The blades are a bit on the flexible side but they look like they'll work.

Much thanks to all who have helped me get this far...

-Henry

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:21:19 AM by (unknown) »

powerbuoy

Re: My Set-up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:39:45 PM »
Looks like quite a system out there. What are you actually feeding? Battery/inverter, hot water direct?

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 09:39:45 PM by powerbuoy »

henjulfox

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:01:41 PM »
All goes to 8 X 100 AH X 6 volt batteries, wired for 24 volt. From there to a Trace SW4024 inverter. The inverter output goes to a generator switch panel allowing me to switch loads between grid and inverter. I currently only have 2 circuits pulled to the generator switch - the refrigerator and the most used house circuit. Sunny days I can hold both circuits and end the day with full batteries. Cloudy days I put the frig on the grid.

-Henry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:01:41 PM by henjulfox »

commanda

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:42:52 AM »
I particularly like the very first photo. The grid cables dominating the foreground really put it all into perspective.

Amanda

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:42:52 AM by commanda »