Author Topic: Vawtman needs name change  (Read 8014 times)

kenl

Re: Vawtman needs name change
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 05:26:30 PM »
 Love that wind tunnel Ed. The kid thought it was pretty neat too. kenny
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:26:30 PM by kenl »
seemed like a good idea at the time

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
I so wanted to find "2637/helical2" for the H-V-AWT guy. Could not.

G-
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:38:15 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wind4Reg

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »
Hi vawtman, the project they were assigned was to build a self starting Darrieus VAWT and from everything they had read, they were under the impression that they would not self start without some additional force, so they initially put the Sav in there to get it to start. That was a failure since the Sav was useless in helping them self start and they abandoned the Sav for their tests. I think the reason theirs didn't self start is because their chord was too small, thus reducing their solidity. You can see this from their statement about the 5" chord blades: "The 5" chord blades cannot generate sufficient force and torque to accelerate the turbine above 11 RPM." Likewise I think the same reason is why the 9" chord blades wouldn't self start in low winds. I would say that for their blades they should of had at least a 12" - 14" chord to get it to self start in low winds.

I have seen the backing up on my model (3' blades, 5' diameter). It would go backward a partial turn then forward a partial turn, then back again and then startup spinning. Mine had symetrical airfoils on it so there was no flat side. I thought it was strange behavior too, but it always self started.

wind4Reg
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:17:32 AM by wind4Reg »

wind4Reg

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »
Hi vawtman, I have heard something about this before so I looked at your pictures to see which way your blades were oriented. Yours are going in the opposite direction that mine were. I wonder if you have discovered something here. If you flip your blades over so that it spins in the opposite direction does it exhibit the forward backward motion before starting up? Maybe I had mine facing the wrong way and that is why I was seeing this motion... that would mean if I flipped mine they would perform even better? That would be cool. I think I will post this question to see what people think.

wind4Reg
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:35:04 AM by wind4Reg »

vawtman

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 03:33:04 PM »
Hello again Reg

When I switched them there was still no forward backward motion.I think if you build the big machine with at least 3 blades that should go away.Wider chord the better for startup has you said earlier.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:33:04 PM by vawtman »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Vawtman DOESN'T need name change
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006, 12:51:21 AM »
Vawtman,

Don't give up the name prematurely.

I, too, got mixed up in this hobby by looking at VAWTs and thinking of ways I could make one of my own, maybe make the mousetrap a bit better, too.  Once I started building them, however, I discovered how difficult it was.  There's a lot to learn, and a lot that's just unknown.  It's not like building model airplanes, where everything you need to know has been well researched and published in books.  Just finding enough scraps of info about VAWTS that would be relevant to anything you can make yourself is nigh on impossible.

I decided to convert to HAWT building so that I could get on with learning how the whole system works, how to make useful electricity, store it in batteries, connect inverters, pump water (maybe), etc, etc.  The VAWT still lurks in the garage, tho, waiting to see the light again.  There's a giant Darrieus "eggbeater" south of where I live, and I still take inspiration from that.

The REAL envelope to be pushing is your own knowledge.  Do what teaches you the most; the experience will be of value for years to come, no matter what you find yourself building 10 years from now.

Have enjoyed your posts and reading about your experiences.  Some of it paralleled mine.

PS: my handle has nothing to do with windmills, I doubt anybody minds.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:51:21 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

vawtman

Re: Vawtman DOESN'T need name change
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006, 07:36:26 AM »
Thanks Steve Im ok now

Just ran into a couple snags one was i knew i needed a tower at least 20ft and it would need to be strong.The other is the gen control maybe i should try an axial design but i like conversions.the slight intial cogging really effects startup.

Ive decided to go with 2 8fters side by side instead of the big one and spin in different directions.I think that would look cool and maybe balance out the tower stresses.

vawtman lives on.....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 07:36:26 AM by vawtman »

bj

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 09:51:25 PM »
     Vawtman--I hope you are still following this thread.  I happened

upon an interesting project this last week in southwestern Albeta.  I have a lot of pics, but of most intersest to you, is a commercial sized

Darryis, and two more to be assembled.  I don't want to burdon the site

with massive pics, and they need to be massive for the detail. If you

still have interest in vawts, and I hope you do, Email me at

jackbp996@msn.com and I will be happy to send pics.  Aside, I have enjoyed

your posts, and as a quote from some of latest replys, (don't go to the

dark side)

P.S.  I am a horrible estimator at anything over 50 feet, but this puppy had to be at least 200 teet.

Again Thanks for a lot of information, and I hope this is of interest.

Bj

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:51:25 PM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.