Author Topic: Wooden Mill Support on a pole question  (Read 1189 times)

theTinker

Wooden Mill Support on a pole question
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:03:49 PM »
I have a wooden mill(single rotor, laminates, 5 1/2' blade diameter )in building, it follows DanB's later wood AX.

I have a 15' pole which I would like to use to support it, its steel, thick, so no worries about the pole breaking :)

I just dont know how to connect it to the windmills base.  I have basic woodworking skills but no metal work. heres what I imagine,

use 3 or so blocks of wood, one connected to the base. Make a hole and cram the pole in? I could also drill holes in the pole directly after a layer of wood and  and place a bolt and nut so it can not come off.

is this secure enough? is it ok for the top of the pole to rubbing against the base wood? I plan on securing it with some wire from mill to ground so I dont see much yawing, though maybe a few degrees could be possible if i dont tighten the wires too much?  Im not sure how DanB's is connected..

I could also just join all the blocks and have sum sort of super block?

thanks in advance for any suggetions:)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:03:49 PM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Wooden Mill Support on a pole question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:37:21 AM »
that would work.

ya know just three days ago you posted a question about laminates and got four replies , did you forget about that one?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:37:21 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

theTinker

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:48:09 AM »
Thats great about the support working, I can finish that early today.

No, didnt forget. I took your advice on the pallet strapping, been looking everywhere for it. Wanted to spend a few days looking before trying sumthing else. Seems to be difficult for me to get. Everywhere seems to have switch to "poly Sumthing or other". Tough kinda strechy plastic as far as I see. I was about to reply to that today with a question about using "small chain"?

I'm actually working on a modified single rotor version of the windmill we discussed ages ago:

Third turbine

I'll be ordering my magnets this week as my frame construction and any other bits are just about complete.

I already have been planning my next one, this stuff is far too addictive.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:48:09 AM by theTinker »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »
oh , are you still going to use the pillow bearings( i think that is what they are called)?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:05:58 AM by willib »

theTinker

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 10:23:07 AM »
Yes, and more,

I am using sealed ball bearings in the rotor part, they spin VERY easily, a finger pushes it around a few times easily. No magnets or anything on it yet though.

Then have a shaft through the bearings and kept in place with shaft collars. The shaft is then put into pillow block bearings too, I figure the ball bearings will spin easily and when it gets too fast or too much pressure the pillow block bearings should spin to. Might take sum pressure off the ball bearings and they provide a nice way to attach it to wood.

you forsee any problem with this?

the Willib advice goes to the top priority :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:23:07 AM by theTinker »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »
is this the same design , you did before , with emachineshop?

if so it looked alright as i recall
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:33:35 AM by willib »

theTinker

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »
its just about the same ye, i just never designed the support to get it on the pole., i built the above diagram today, seems to be alright, need to pick up sum more threaded rod but it seems pretty secure.

I never built anything so its all a bit "can i even do this?" mood :)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:22:29 PM by theTinker »

kitno455

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »
no- if the top of the pole is open, it will bite into the upper board eventually and refuse to yaw.

also- if those wooden plates have a tight clearance on the pole, and they warp at all, they will bind.

i would suggest that if you must work in wood, that you line the inside of the hole with a piece of pipe that fits over your tower, and that you put a stack of large greased washers on top of the tower.

allan

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:23:12 PM by kitno455 »

theTinker

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »
gotcha, will do sumthing to protect against that.im deciding where it may yaw or not still. its in my back garden surrounded by blocks of house. wind can only come from 2 directions and they are from the front or back side. if i do allow it to move ill definitely add sum washers, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:19:44 AM by theTinker »