Author Topic: The Stator  (Read 1704 times)

Murlin

The Stator
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:54:56 AM »
Here is what I have so far....

I was planning to take 2 pieces of Lexan and machine up some sort of a test jig that could sandwich the coils in place.

This way you could make sure your wiring is right and possibly balance each pole perfectly by moving the coils around.

I also want to do some experimenting with layered cores.

You could do many tests before you super glued it together and put it in the mold.

Who knows, just a small core might help alot.  no one can be for sure until it is running between the magnets and I am hoping to be able to try many things.

Murlin

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:54:56 AM by (unknown) »

SamoaPower

Re: The Stator
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:35:37 PM »
You might want to take a look at:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/3/27/212954/042

I'm now going to use aluminum for the support structure instead of G-10 (availability). It'll be outside of the magnetic path.

I like the idea of the Lexan test jig as long as it's thin enough, <0.125.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:35:37 PM by SamoaPower »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »
If you have coils in parallel you would benefit by carefully positioning coils.

Far better not to have coils in parallel, in which case there would be no point in moving the coils about.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:43:33 AM by Flux »

Murlin

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 07:08:35 AM »
Thanks Flux, since I am making a 3-phase, the coil placement is not that critical, gotcha.

So on this one, the only thing I will test out is getting various thickness of shimstock and layer up some cores to position between the coils.

I know some have already tried, but I would like to experiment for sake of my own curiosity. I do not think extensive testing has been done yet, could be wrong.

Unless you tell me I am totally wasting my time.  In that case I will just go for it :)

Murlin

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:08:35 AM by Murlin »

Murlin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:10:55 AM »
Oh ya I will be wiring it up in series and THATS why it is not as importamt....my bad....

God I love not being able to edit my posts  :)......

Murlin

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:10:55 AM by Murlin »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:11:19 AM »
Perfect coil placement isn't terribly important.

The ideas of using aluminum for getting rid of heat are interesting.  I think it's important though to keep in mind that you don't want it anywhere near the moving magnet rotors - and I dont think you want it anywhere near the coils at all.  The coils are 'electromagnets' with a constantly changing field and I expect that anything conductive anywhere near them will cause problems once current starts flowing in your alternator.    You wouldn't notice that drag just spinning the thing, but once it starts producing power I think the aluminum on the inside and outside of the coils will be problematic.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:11:19 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Murlin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
I was actually going to mold the heatsinks out of the epoxy material itself by cutting that configuration in the mold.  It would have two sheets of glass cloth in that thin area and would be plenty sturdy. I just called the thin areas on the stator heatsinks, because I didn't know what else to call them.....

My thinking in this is that, hot moves to cold.

A thin sheet of any material(no matter how bad of a conductor), will cool faster than a thicker one.

And since heat goes to cold, well it just stands to reason that heat would be drawn to the outside and inside of the stator and be more easily cooled by the ambient air on the outside and the cooler force fed air on the middle.

Course that is purly just speculation and I don't have a clue what I am doing.

It just sounds good to me and I can't see any reason it would actually hurt anything.

Any amount of cooling would be a plus.

Murlin the lame engineer....

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:52:29 PM by Murlin »

Murlin

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
Looks like a couple of us are way ahead of meh :)

We could possibly mold some more thinner sections throughout the stator and add some phenolic rebar in there along with the fiberglass....

Hrmmmmm........it might be possible to buile just as strong snd rigid a stator with half the epoxy......hrmmmmm..........

Murlin

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:59:28 PM by Murlin »

Murlin

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:09:15 PM »
Updated details in photo...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:09:15 PM by Murlin »