Author Topic: Motor Rewind  (Read 2077 times)

vawtman

Motor Rewind
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
Just wondering and by the way Zubbly if you see this your conversion is awesome.Wanted to reply to your post but apparantly got stuck on the toilet seat.

Im sure alot of guys will ask this in the future.Thanks fellow rewinders.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:50:34 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Motor Rewind
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »
While I wouldn't presume to speak for Zubbly, I expect the coils are pre-formed 'cause it's easier.  I  can't imagine the number of stitches and skin grafts that would be needed after passing a single strand back and forth through a laminated iron stator 40 or 50 times (per coil).  :-)

Also, look how nice and uniform they are this way...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:25:41 PM by RP »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:45:33 PM »
BTW, it's not just us amateurs that work that way. Visited a professional motor rewinding company and they do everything by hand, just like we do. The only thing that's mechanized is the winding of coils (basically a motordriven simple coilwinder, with interchangeable coil forms and a counter to stop at the right number of turns). When a coil is done, it's taken of manually and a new coil is being made. All the rest is good old manual handywork. Which is the reason having a motor rewound is so expensive (I checked, over here about 500E (600US$)).

Peter.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:45:33 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:46:51 AM »
It's very time consuming to wind the turns in by hand and difficult to count the turns. Also when hand winding the turns don't lie parallel and you will not get as good a slot fill.

It takes a bit of practice at the start to feed coils in through semi-closed slots, but it comes with practice and is far easier in the end except for very small motors.

Peter, there are machines to fit coils into the slots but they are an absolute pain to set up and are only viable with production quantities. They don't always save much time and the end result is not always as good as it might be. Things may have changed over the last few years, I have lost touch with such things.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:46:51 AM by Flux »

dinges

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:57:56 AM »
You're right about the machines, Flux, that's what they explained to me too when I said I thought they had special machines to automatically rewind motors. They existed but only for large motor runs. I remember being surprised, because I knew that for rewinding toroid transformers (not exactly easy stuff too) they special equipment too.

Who'd have thunk it that in these modern times there are still some tasks that can't be performed (economically) by machines :)

BTW, they also explained that automatically wound motors were easy to distinguish from those rewound by hand, as you could tell by the way the coils were bound up (by lacing tape). 'Easy to distinguish' being a relative term, I suppose.

Also BTW, the thing I dread most is not winding the coils but putting them inside the stator. Those slots seem awfully narrow. I know it can be done (the original manufacturer did it, and Zubbly can), but still. Winding the coil & wiring them up is easy stuff in comparison to stuffing those huge coils through those narrow slots, as far as I can tell.

Peter.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:57:56 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
When the wire size is small compared with the slot opening it is fairly easy. If the wire will only just go in the slot it becomes slower and when two wires have crossed in the coil you have to nurse them into a line.

The main thing is to have the slot liners left long so they protect the wire and act as a funnel. In most cases you can feed the wire in between finger and thumbs but in awkward cases you have to push them in with a piece if soft material such as a sheet of fibre.

If you want to try, leave plenty of length on the end windings for a first attempt so the portion to enter the slot is completely straight.

Small stators are a pain, larger ones are easier when you have room to get your hands in. Like most other things you can learn more in a few minutes from someone else than trying for hours without having seen it done.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:33:57 AM by Flux »

vawtman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »
Thanks for your input flux

I visited a

freind that owns a small motor shop today.

Now I understand why Zubbly did the 2 inhand method.He also said I could use his winder and would show me the tricks of the trade.Nice guy

I think itll be fun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:41:49 PM by vawtman »