Author Topic: Dumpster Diving Heaven  (Read 10018 times)

JYL

• Ricxeco
Re: Dumpster Diving Heaven
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
You are right Flux.

Even ignoring the Alternator Efficiency, the Motor Efficiency, cabling resistance, the Mismatch in Power Factor that is often important for a Generator/Motor circuit...  The most important aspect of the difference is that the HP Rating are absolutely not the same.  Thanks to marketing.

Electric Engines are rated conservatively for continuous duty.  1 HP means that you can use 1 HP 24/7 without issue.  Actually, many Electric engine come with an additional SF rating that indicate 1.10, 1.20 or event 1.8.  This Safety Factor clearly state that the Electric Motor can, in reality, be use at 1.10 HP, 1.20 HP or even 1.8 HP continuously, 24/7 without any risk of damage.  The rating of Industrial Electric motor is often more a question of it peak Electrical Efficiency at a certain load.  If an Industrial Electrical Motor is 90% efficiency at 1 HP but 50% at 1.5 HP, it is likely to be rated 1 HP and it will show a SF of 1.5.  Obviously, marketing can also play a role here since the same motor can also be rated 1.25 HP but only be 70% efficient.  Careful machine designer generally avoid those.

You indicate that some Electric motor will provide 3X the torque.  Some industrial motor will even do better than that if you supply enough electric power (at proper Voltage). Actually, it is not rare that an Industrial Electric Motor will have known rating for 2X or 3X the load.  These rating are like the one of Inverter.  5 Minutes Overload at 2.2 HP for example -- This is often limited by the Heat Production since the motor might not be that efficient at this load point.

----

Stationary Gas Engines are rated by Gross BHP or Marketing BHP. See the power curve of these B&S Engine -- http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?docid=77788 .  The power curve of these "Power Built OHV 5.5HP" and "Power Built OHV 6.5HP" are nearly identical.  If you look carefully, the GROSS BHP is effectively about 5.5 and 6.5 BHP.  However, the MAXIMUM NET BHP is virtually the same at 2600 RPM or 3600 RPM.  Both top at about 3 KW MAXIMUM NET BHP.     This clearly shows that the additional Gross BHP can't be converted to Electricity.

So, we see an engine potential of 3.6 KW then realize it can't do better than 3 KW - That, under any circumstance.

Now, this is still MAXIMUM NET BHP.  What mean BHP...?  Break HP.  This means that if you put any gearbox or generator, the efficiency of these apparatus are not accounted for.  The rating is therefore lower.  Usually, at least 10%.

Finally, no Gas or Diesel engines are rated publicly for 100% duty cycle. (These rating exist but are hardly published by anyone). Usually, if you want the engine to last, kept it load bellow 35% or 40% of it NET HP -- Not BHP (Up to 60% with some Diesel and 85% with JET ENGINE).  Past this point, the engine wears fast, in some case, very very fast.

So, if you are charging Battery for 1 Hours at the time (an almost continuous duty).  You don't want to use much more than 30% of it NET HP.  This is likely about 300 to 500 Watts for your 4HP engine.

Rating of Generator:  Don't be fool by the advertising of some/many "low cost" gas generator.  Surge Capacity of 5300 Watts, continuous duty of 4000 Watts, Engine B&S of 5.5 HP...  It does not mean the machine can do it.  It just means that the Electrical Generator might be able to do it if the "Primary Mover" supplies the power.  To me, that should be classified as "illegal" advertising - but most company does it.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:49:23 PM by JYL »

dinges

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »
Very instructive! Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:08:03 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 09:32:16 PM »
as i posted earlier, the engines power drops pretty dramatically with lower rpm, and conversely the altenators power requirement rises dramatically with rpm.

if you are thinking of a 24 volt truck alternator, look into the new leece neville/prestolite load handler series, the 140 amp unit will produce 90 amps(12vdc, they do make 24 vdc versions) at 1500 rpm alternator speed, so with a 1/2 step down at the engine or rather 3600 at the motor will run the altenator approx 1800 rpm, and you can get good mechanical advantage. also the resolution of the governor is twice that of a 1/1 ratio, follow?

secondly i would take the advice given and look into a different style of regulator, namely a current limiting regulator instead of the stock voltage regulator.

going back to the automotive alternator, one has to remember what they are built to do, they are built to not only charge at idle speeds but run in some cases over 10,000rpm, this is a very wide range with no reguard to power input (hp).

the load handler alternators i spoke of earlier publish output curves, which makes it easy to determine the sweet spot, or the most output for the amount of power input in hp.

it only makes sense to closely match the engine power to the alternator input requirment to get the most out for what you have to work with.

the ones i see that seem to perform poorly are those that are overdriven, using the stock alternator pulley they usually use larger pulleys on the motor to get good belt grip, and thus set it up for poor overall performance.

do a little research, and engineer it well, then you will have reason to believe it will work.

bob g

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:32:16 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

terry5732

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 09:55:16 PM »
Do a google search of "squirrel cage motor generator" for simple set-ups. Basically any induction motor will work. Some will need capacitor excitement, some won't. The generator you choose depends on if you want something working soon or want something to play with for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:55:16 PM by terry5732 »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 10:22:01 PM »
Peter,

I see that the nuclear power plant is to be replaced with a lawnmower engine....How the mighty have  fallen :)

With your new interest in pwm, maybe a tl494 to give you control of your voltage and your current, just as in a pwm supply. Instead of driving the transformer, the fet could drive the rotor current. That way you can control the output very precisely, irrespective of poor motor speed regulation. Use the same setup I described for the current and voltage regulation in the psu.(one error amp for each function.... use the meter shunt for the current sense).... you could also use the duty cycle pin to give it a controlled soft start (60 seconds or so) to get rid of the heavy start currents that may apply for flat batteries at start time.

just a thought to add to your projects book.

........oztules.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:22:01 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

commanda

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
Amanda is right here, lurking attentively.

I've actually been keeping an eye on eBay & the trading post for a while, trying to get one of these motors and a 24 volt truck alternator. Just to build an emergency backup for when the sun don't shine & the wind don't blow.

Chuck away the default regulator. Completely useless for this application. A large rheostat driving the field winding is quick & dirty, but will work. A power fet and pwm  is much more elegant.

Amanda

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:53:09 PM by commanda »

fungus

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 05:26:13 AM »
i've taken plenty of stuff from the dumps when people are looking away and I'm in the UK. I once got 2 1 ghz computers, working out of the dump for free and sold one on ebay for £50.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 05:26:13 AM by fungus »

americanreman

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2006, 06:27:20 AM »
Couple other points to make, dumpster diving is great, but gas is at a all time high...these old briggs motors eat fuel compared to today's motors.

At 3.00 a gallon, those old motors can suck a lot of gas, if you can cut fuel consumption by half, the savings will buy alot of wholesale Honda engines in a short time. If you are serious about this and plan on using it alot, get a good motor the investment will pay for itself in fuel savings quickly.

Vertical take off engines are easy to find, these engines are brand new but can't be sold as new because something they were attached to was defective at the factory, like a washer pump, I buy these for about 120.00, they have a heavy flywheel on them because they are built for pump applications. Stay away from the ones with the flywheel brakes if you can.

As for screaming the thing along at 3600 rpm, don't do it, just play with pulley sizes and get as much out of your alt as possible at about 1000 to 1200 rpm, save fuel and the engine will last for years...buy a Honda.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:27:20 AM by americanreman »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 09:22:15 AM »
think very hard before engineering the little 5 hp engine to run at 1000 to 1200 rpm

these engines are very hard to make run at that low of an rpm, and you wont get much hp at that level.  i would not be surprised if you only got a couple hundred watts of generated power at 1000 engine rpm from this engine.

it all depends on what you want to do, if you want a low rpm engine that will run forever, then get a low speed diesel.

if you want to get some useful power then wind the little engine up

figure it in kwatt/hrs,  my bet is you will get more kwatt/hrs at 3600 rpm than you ever will at 1000/1200 rpm with a lawn mower engine, and probably be more efficient with the fuel consumption in the process.

my bet is that the 5 hp motor if it can be made to run at 1000 rpm will not produce more than about one hp. and will stall readily if a load is dumped on it too fast.

the carbs dont have accelerator pumps to overcome a rapid need for power when the load is increased quickly and the throttle is snapped to full fuel by the govenor.

i just dont like it.

bob g

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:22:15 AM by bob g »
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.

dinges

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »
Oztules,

It's just a matter of availability; when I find a Russian nuclear sub at the dumpster, you already know what the next project is going to be. And in that case, you can expect newbie questions like 'how do I fire this thing up?' and 'I'm looking for some cheap nuclear fuel, but can't find any on E-bay'. BTW, didn't Australia have a lot of uranium ore?...

As to your PWM, hadn't thought about using one for controlling the alternator. Could be an idea. I still have some designs lying around for a PWM with the TL494. Would have to change it a bit so that rotor would become powerless as batteryvoltage reaches full charge, but still, should be not too hard to do, despite the fact that I'm not an electronics designer (I can build & modify (a lot), but design from scratch is not my thing).

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:38:50 AM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »
Thanks for the search terms. Had searched already on the above terms, only difference being 'squirrel cage' I had used 'induction'. Very different hits show up.

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:44:03 AM by dinges »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 04:59:06 PM »
Hi All,

im sorry I just had to stop reading and post a comment at this point. But no doubt im sure the rest of the thread wont let me down.... it just makes the thrill that much more, when I read it all through again.

"If that is the case then gas engine is wildly overrated."

Grinn :)

My granda once said this to me, as well as- HEY quit running my riding lawn mower all over the place at full blast kid, with no load, your going to break that engine to pieces!!!!

Actually I heard many elders say something simular, 20 horsepower on a 8N fergusin(SP?) farm tractor is like 150 horsepower today.

Best to all

JW

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:59:06 PM by JW »

americanreman

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2006, 05:09:42 AM »
A 1000 rpm will give you good results 1:1, there is no adverse load that will bring the engine down, set the throttle and dial up the field then increase the throttle a little more to load the engine, then dial in the field a litle more until you load it and smooth it out.

If you havn't played with this stuff before than your logic can't be applied.

No need to scream the motor along at 3600 rpm to make usable power for charging batts, but then you always have that option if you like noise, vibration and waste of fuel.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:09:42 AM by americanreman »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2006, 07:25:45 AM »
Guys,

I didn't mean to say it would not work. I did say there are thousands of them around here.

I intended to say it won't work as well as many people may expect, and that the regulator could use some work for better results.

Also, it is a 3.5HP that the previous owner decided to leave in a dumpster...

G-

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 07:25:45 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dinges

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2006, 09:22:47 AM »
"Also, it is a 3.5HP that the previous owner decided to leave in a dumpster..."

For which I am very grateful to him :)

Admittedly, the motor doesn't deliver a lot of power. Actually was surprized it's 4 stroke, but it seems to be common with lawnmowers. It still runs. The unit was discarded because the throttle handle was broken off and the blade was rusted away. The motor is in pretty good condition.

That being said, even if it were a new motor, I wouldn't expect more than a few 100 hours of life out of it. Without torturing it, that is, with too heavy loads.

At the moment, the plan is to simply add a car alternator (50A max; still have to scrounge one) and homepower's mark8.pdf rotorfield regulator. This is a PWM unit, BTW, Oztules, but based on the LM723 and NE555, not the TL494.

With such a regulator it will be possible to slowly adjust charge current to a good value, while at the same time adjusting motor throttle for a pleasant load and sound.

I agree with Ghurd, in their original state car alternators might not work very well. Also, the huge initial charge current I'm not too happy about. And remember, cars have many more HPs present than this 3.5HP engine...

The 220V induction motor probably won't be added, but I intend to experiment with it someday. Wish I could find more information about the generators that are used in 'real' gas generators. Will also try to add a 24V alternator, or at least prepare the unit for mounting one.

Think I'll also add a small 12V/50Ah or so battery backup, with a small inverter. So I'll have a small, cart-able 220VAC and 12VDC stand-alone power unit.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, learned a few new things here!

Expect a diary entry within the next 2 months of the (semi-) finished project.

I also consider the project-to-be an opportunity to learn a bit more about gas-engines; I have practically no experience with repairing/maintaining them.

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 09:22:47 AM by dinges »

RogerAS

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »
Dinges,

AS soon as I can I will post a picture of the setup. It isn't that complicated.

I will post here in the diary section.

Take care.

RogerAS

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:03:10 PM by RogerAS »

dinges

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2006, 01:36:28 PM »
Double those gas-prices for the folks here in The Netherlands... 1.4E/liter, about 6$/gallon. Most of it is taxes. I love to subsidize my government...

The engine runs most smoothly at 2500-3000RPM; 1000RPM is not an option. Don't intend to use it frequently, more of an emergency backup. Was thinking about a 1:1 drive to the alternator.

Will continue to look for a nice Honda, or a 5-7.5HP engine. For the moment, I'll have to make do with what I have. Don't intend to shell out a lot of money (100+ $) for an engine. But you definitely have a point if one would use such a thing more frequently.

As far as gas use and pollution; I understand that these small gas engines put out as much pollution as a small car puts out while driving 100-150km. Hope the politicians won't learn about this, or it will be a matter of time before ALL small gas engines are banned.

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:36:28 PM by dinges »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2006, 04:32:47 PM »
well they have already been trying to get lawn mowers fitted with catalytic converters here in the states, not sure where it is at for now,but we will probably see it sooner that later

bob g

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 04:32:47 PM by bob g »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2006, 08:31:43 AM »
Peter,

Got the Adobe stuff to work.

It looks OK to me.  You do know I'm not an expert?

The LED resistors seem a tad under value, maybe 2K would be better.

I would go even bigger on Q2 and D2.

Why is the 100 ohm Q2 base resistor rated at 10W?  Looks to me like it should never get past 1/2W or 160ma.

Those things can really shake (far past vibrate) under the right conditions. I have seen them tied to a barn post to keep them from leaving the neighborhood.

I would use 'locking' pots (right word? The kind where the knob needs lifted to adjust),

or maybe a many position rotary switch with fixed resistors.

Maybe Q2 could be on the motor / alt assembly, with the rest of the circuit a meter away, seperated from the frame?

Amanda's large rheostat is the most common way here, other than the factory setup.

"Large" is real big. I guess they are about 4" dia x 2" thick, ceramic, open wirewound and expensive.

And they still burn out on occasion.  Maybe from setting them at 1 ohm, too much power in too little wire?  The operators only understand that they are "Chargin da bat-ree".

The author states "A 35A alt can be driven by a 3HP engine."  About 500W output.

And he had 'very poor results' with Al pulleys. They break from the vibration.

G-

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:31:43 AM by ghurd »

dinges

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:10 AM »
Thanks Ghurd,

Good to know that the circuit-that-caused-lightning isn't this one from Homepower.

LED-resistors: I usually dimension them myself for about 5mA, unless I need to save energy, in that case I drop to 1mA.

That 100ohm/10W resistor: was thinking that myself too, esp. considering that the driver transistor is a 2n2222 or similar (from memory).

As to the vibration: was also thinking about that. Maybe to cast it in epoxy. Anyway, all wire-connections will be heatshrinked and tightly bound with wire (don't have lacing tape, have to make do with normal cord and superglue for locking)

I was thinking about using 10 turn potmeters for adjusting voltage & current. Mine have a locking handle. However, the downside is that it's not possible to quickly make big changes in charging current... That rotary switch is a good idea, hadn't thought of that yet. With right dimensioning of resistors, it should give almost continuous adjustment of charge current.

Still should have a large rheostat somewhere. Will go for the electronic solution though: gives also voltage control (charging stop when battery is full). As for those rheostats: maybe they should add a by-pass switch for the rheostat. Mark it 'boost' or something similar. I think the rheostat will see very limited use anymore :)

Yes, I've read about the alu pulleys. And the vibration, well, the motor is still standing on the lawnmower frame, and it's bouncing all over the place when it's running.

Like I said, all loose hardware, wires and connections will have to be tightly locked. Which is why I wasn't planning on IC-sockets too.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that was still bothering me was whether the lightning-picture you posted had to do with this circuit (mark8 from homepower). Glad it isn't. Then again, you're no expert...

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:47:10 AM by dinges »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »
I believe a 12V alt with the regulator removed, can be made good for 24V.

There is a circuit or 10 floating around on how to get 120V from a 12V alt.

Seems like the bearings should be paid some attention as to the power they take. 50A at 12V is not the same as 50A at 48V.

Here at least, it would be a lot cheaper to start with 12V parts.

I cast some stuff in epoxy mixed with "a lot" of clean sand.  Cheaper and seems harder, but maybe more brittle.

Not sure how the Q heat would effect standard epoxy, or Q itself.

Sometimes we use 2 rotary switches with resistors (or 2 pots) in series.

One is coarse adjustment, one is fine.

Add a 24V battery and a 7805 for a nice variable power supply. Quite stabile.

You don't get the finer points of my target demographic.  They like switches.

"If it has a 'boost' switch, it should be ON. They didn't put that switch there for nothing!"

I never had a problem with a Homepower circuit.

I trust them second, naturally, behind Amanda.

My lightning tends to appear from circuits posted willy-nilly around the internet.

Some days it feels like I could get lightning from a lemon, 2 nails... and a rock. :/

G-

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:03:04 PM by ghurd »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2006, 10:04:04 PM »
   I put a car starter motor to an 8hp  a 2 inch

pulley on the starter motor to drive an 8 inch

pulley on the engine bit of overkill maybe but

it sure started easy !

It would be RE if you used a gasifier to run

it....

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:04:04 PM by Norm »

dinges

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »
Just found this link of motherearthnews. The same setup I had in mind should be able to be used as an emergency welding machine (max. 50A or so).

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/1980_November_December/Build_a_20_Portable_DC_Arc
_Welder

With the mark8 fieldregulator, current should be adjustable too. Maybe I'd better at those Dinse welding quick-connectors as well...

In the homepower article, they didn't even bother to build a new frame; simply installed it all on the lawnmower deck.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:41:57 PM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:04 PM »
Link doesn't work when I click on it?! Maybe it does now...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/1980_November_December/Build_a_20_Portable_DC_Arc
_Welder

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:45:04 PM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
Should work now; something to do with the underscores and the 20...

_Welder

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:47:46 PM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:24 PM »
I give up, can't get the direct link to work. But there should be two underscores in front of the '20', i.e. _ ; not the single one.

www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/1980_November_December/Build_a
_20_Portable_DC_Arc_Welder

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:50:24 PM by dinges »

RedLance

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2006, 04:38:20 AM »
I found this information at the Subaru Robin site.  This was taken from a service manual for one of their generators:

5-3-1 GENERATION OF NO-LOAD VOLTAGE

When the generator starts running, the permanent magnet built-in to the rotor generates 3 to 6V of AC voltage in the main coil and condenser coil wound on the stator.

As one or two condensers are connected to the condenser coil, the small voltage at the condenser coil generates a minute current which flows through the condenser coil. At this time, a small flux is produced with which the magnetic force at the rotor's magnetic pole is intensified. When this magnetic force is intensified, the respective voltages in the main coil and condenser coil rise up.  As the current increases, the magnetic flux at the rotor's magnetic pole increases further thus the voltages at the main coil and condenser coil keep rising by repeating this process. As AC current flows through the condenser coil, the density of magnetic flux in the rotor changes. This change of magnetic flux induces AC voltage in the field coil, and the diode rectifier in the field coil circuit rectifies this `AC voltage into DC. Thus a DC current flows through the field coil and magnetizes the rotor core to generate an output voltage in the main coil. When generator speed reaches 3000 to 3300 r.p.m. , the current in the condenser coil and field coil increases rapidly.

This acts to stabilize the output voltage of each coils. If generator speed further increases to the rated value, the generator output voltage will reach the rated value.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:38:20 AM by RedLance »

kurt

• website
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:44:00 AM by kurt »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
   Just about any small PM motor can be spun fast

enough with a 3.5 Briggs to charge a 12volt

battery like a fan radiator motor...a heater/ac

blower motor hook it up with a blocking diode

run the Briggs just fast enough to charge about

3 amps.  Just charge batteries and run an

inverter. A Briggs that size should never need

an electric starter...a 4 inch quick gentle pull

in the right position should be enough to start a

well tuned Briggs.

About 3 batteries will be enough to run a small

arc welder.

And yes I'll go along with Ghurd on that

actually I'd be surprised if you can get even

1hp of electrical energy from a 5HP gas engine

....maybe 2hp but I doubt it! (just MO )

I don't speak Dutch but I kinda like and

respect looney Dutchmen

(  :>) Norm. (Fritzsche)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:49:30 AM by Norm »

dinges

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

Have just given this site:

http://www.robinamerica.com/manuals/genMans.lasso

a quick checkout, and there definitely seems to be some good info there! Especially like that they not only have user manuals, but actually put the service manuals online. Thanks!

Peter.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:17:20 PM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2006, 05:21:01 PM »
Ghurd referred me to this interesting link:

http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm

Contains some interesting information and ideas as well.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:21:01 PM by dinges »