Author Topic: Enertech  (Read 2133 times)

powerbuoy

Enertech
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »
I found what seems to be an old abandoned Enertech 1500. It's sitting on a 35 feet tower. Limited hight because of airport regs.

Does anyone know what happened to this company ...? I trust there out of business? Is this unit worthy to be fixed?

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:41:26 PM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: Enertech
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:51:25 PM »
i am not sure, but i think that company made grid tied induction generator mills, and i don't remember them being into the battery charging type of mills but i could be mistaken. they may have made some pm machines as well, i would have to look them up in some of my old books.

i do know they were a contender in the market back in the 70's and 80's

if you can get it cheap (free) i would go for it, either way.

seems like homepower magazine did a rebuild article a couple years back, some high school shop teacher and his students, on an Enertech machine, it was an induction grid tied unit if i remember.

try some google searches, or search out homepower for old articles

bob g

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:51:25 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:36:40 PM »
I seem to recall a solar controller made by them on the surplus market a couple years ago.

The sales pitch was 'brand new'. The fine print was 'company went under- warrenty card void.'

Maybe add 'solar' to your searches?

Good luck!

G-

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:36:40 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SamoaPower

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:41:32 AM »
I believe that Enertech is still in business, but under different ownership. They now only make larger (20-40kW) turbines. All of their machines were and are induction grid tie machines.

A couple of interesting things on the 1500 and 1800 were the hydraulic brake and blade tip brakes.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:41:32 AM by SamoaPower »

powerbuoy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
BobG ... your comment hit the nail ...

I found an article in homepower issue #82, very well written. It seems to be a nice magazine.

Thanks a lot,

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:57:00 PM by powerbuoy »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
thanks for the followup

nice to know my memory still works, albeit not as well as i would like at

times.

i remember the article, seems like they had to have the machine rewound, burnt

stator if i recall.

when was the article published?

bob g

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:36:00 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

powerbuoy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »
Bob:

May 2001, ... great memory.:-)) I really like the site. Lot's of info, the issue download cost me $5.00,...took 1 min and I had it all in front of me.

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:28:42 AM by powerbuoy »

neilho

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:06:24 AM »
 I've been lurking here for a while, trying to soak up some knowledge about axial flux machines and getting excited about the DIY, funky aspects of these machines. (Thanks, everyone who's been contributing to the board!) I worked for the "old" Enertech back in the 70s and early 80s and while it was interesting and challenging work, induction machines didn't seem very appropriate for the low wind speeds we have here in Vermont. Relatively large rotor diameter, axial flux battery charging machines are the first wind turbines I've felt would really work for my backwoods friends' remote systems. Anyway, back to the subject....

The "new" Enertech and the "old" Enertech are two completely different companies. The original company went bankrupt in 1987 and the new Enertech picked up the name this year after the copyright expired. (I have no economic connection to the new Enertech.)

The 1500 was the first Enertech gridtie machine and had some serious problems. Originally they were made with no tip brakes, an undersized mechanical brake, a couple structurally weak spots in the yaw system, and a primitive control. There were factory retrofit programs to solve the problems, but I don't think all the machines were retrofitted. The "new, improved" version was named an 1800. Hard to say about your 1500 without looking at it. If it has tip brakes, a hydraulic brake and a serial # higher than 100 (look in the control box for the SN) it might be worth getting if you can have it for the taking. What sort of tower is it on?

I have some parts available, refurbish control boards too and I think the new Enertech has some manuals available. Generators can be rewound by a motor rewind shop, and Lake Michigan Wind and Sun has some parts, too. So it's possible to save it....

Thanks again, folks!

Neil

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:06:24 AM by neilho »

powerbuoy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 05:45:17 PM »
Thanks Neil ... maybe I can get some pics for you guys.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:45:17 PM by powerbuoy »