Author Topic: Non-R/E lawnmower review  (Read 1606 times)

nanotech

Non-R/E lawnmower review
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:46:13 AM »
I do realise that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with renewable energy, but I would hope that each and every one of us would appreciate a tip here and there on where to save a little cash....  :)

Last weekend I decided I needed a push mower to supplement the riding lawnmower.  So a-browsing the garage sales I go.

Didn't see anything worthwhile, so I decided to stop and see my wife at work at WalMart.  As I'm walking in I notice they have a Weedeater brand 22" lawnmower for $99.00

I figured if the thing only lasted one season I could always use the engine on the gokart I'm building for my son.

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.  They are finally catching on to an idea I've had for years : instead of using the smallest engine possible and revving the nuts off it to cut the grass, they've gone the opposite route and stuck a Briggs & Stratton 4.5hp Industrial / Commercial engine on a 22" mower deck and set the governer to half throttle it.  What this achieves is a VERY quiet gas powered mower that has NO trouble getting through anything you throw in its path.

Those thistles are 3.5 to 4 feet high!!  And I've already chewed through an almost 30 X 20 foot swath of them!!

It does a very nice job on the lawn, too.  Quite the manicured look to it from such an inexpensive mower.  I mainly bought it for getting in and around the trees in the front yard where there's just not enough room to get the 42" riding mower in.  But I'm finding this push mower does such a nice job that I'm mowing much more than just the tight spaces with it.

Now, for $100 you can't expect Toro or Snapper quality here.  They've skimped in a few places (plastic cable ties to hold the throttle and blade brake cables, plastic wheels that look and feel flimsy, etc), but they've put quality in where it's needed.  The deck is AT LEAST 16 gauge if not 14 gauge.  It's pretty hefty for such a small mower.  The handle is steel, not aluminum, so you can flip this thing around and the handle doesn't bend or yaw.  It's EXTREMELY easy to start.  My 12 year old son (a self proclaimed wimp) can start it one handed.  It is so basic there are only two controls - the blade brake and the pull start.  There's no throttle at all.  It's preset.  You push the primer bulb three times, give it one yank and it's running.

So far I've used about 1/2 a gallon of gas, and I've had it running under some pretty strenuous conditions for about 3 hours right now.  Which falls into about the same as the last mower I had which was straining its poor little 2.5hp guts out just trying to mow a "normal" yard.  This thing is plowing through shoulder-high weeds, chopping up 1/4 inch thick thistle stems, and just in general accepting out and out abuse and still going strong.

So for those that are looking at a replacement (or first) mower and don't feel like spending the outrageous prices Sears are asking for thier one-season-wonders, I can heartily recommend this little puppy.  And coming from someone that used to repair and service lawn mowers for a living, I consider that pretty high praise......
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:46:13 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Non-R/E lawnmower review
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 07:51:24 PM »
this old girl is real qiuet---found it at a thrift shop a long while back..

was going to make a gen out of it --but it worked so well i decided to keep it as is..

made back in the late 60s....still runs strong..i thought it might be able to run off of my inverter[750watt]-but it just goes to start then the inverter shuts down..

single phase motor-6. somthing amps..plus im sure the neigbors like it better then my old hopped up sraite pipe gas mowers...........litte somthing to do with re.  ;}

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:51:24 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

nanotech

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:30:34 PM »
Heh, I grew up on electric mowers.  I'd love to be able to use one again, but stringing out 500 feet of extension cords equals a mower that struggles to cut one blade of grass!!  :P

And 500ft of cord wouldn't even get all of my yard!!  :O

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:30:34 PM by nanotech »

powerbuoy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:15:38 AM »
I got a deal as well, I just saved 20% by switching to Geiko ...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 07:15:38 AM by powerbuoy »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
just another victim--of the --United-Scam-Association........

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:19:45 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:32:29 AM »
  No doubt about it....its a real bargain....

you'd probably pay more than twice the price for

the engine alone my only lament is that I/C

used to mean ball bearing mains and cast iron

cylinder sleeve.......

Quality is needed in the wheels too  at what

you have saved...you can afford to replace those

wheels with steel ballbearing wheels even at

those ridiculous prices...well worth the upgrade

almost like having a self propelled.

....you might even be tempted to mow the

entire lawn with it and sell that gas guzzling

riding mower.

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:32:29 AM by Norm »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »
Hiker;

You might want to look closely at the motor ratings. We had one of those until it literaly fell apart.

Our had a DC motor with nothing more than a 10 Amp recitifer in the top. I removed it re-wired the start handle for DC and stuck an old car battery on it worked perfect then!!

2 speed on & off :-)

The newer ones are true AC motors on the ones I purchased lately:-(

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:32:39 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

nanotech

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:31:22 PM »
Heh, 10 acres with a 22" push mower?  You're braver than me!!  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:31:22 PM by nanotech »