Author Topic: Guy wire tension  (Read 5122 times)

SmoggyTurnip

Guy wire tension
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »
When the tower is raised how do people adjust the guy wire tension?

Should they be tight - loose - inbetween?

Does the tower base need to be below the frost line so that frost heaving will not increase tension in the wires?

...So much to think about.

Thanks in advance for any input.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:48:18 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Guy wire tension
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »
I must be pischic I seem to remember reading this question a few days ago, non the less a valid question.

I believe the installation manual on Bergy's site gives a good guide

http://www.bergey.com/

http://www.bergey.com/Products/XL1.Tilt.IM.4.pdf

As to how I do it, well I have no experience with ground freezing but guy wires I do.

In the planning stage I measure the fall of the ground at all four anchor points relative to tower base with a lazer level.

I graph them on paper and take measurements off it for my cables. I know I could use a drawing program but such exactness is not required, I simply add two metres to each cable length, I find it hard to weld steel cable. From this data I buy my cable.

I build my tower from base to turbine end, with it connected to the base I make sure the top is equidistant to the side anchors corrected for any elevation difference.

I build one section at a time raise it ensure the tower is level and adjust all cables. If one needs major adjustment ie undoing the cable grips it's easy for a second person to hold the tower. Lower it build the next section, raise it etc. It is very important to continually check side anchor cable while raising to ensure they are not going to tight. This should include the side anchor cables for the gin pole.

Once it's all up I do any final adjustments.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:52:00 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

kenputer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:01:35 PM »
 I have seen the ground raise over a foot from frost heave so I would say yes make the slab atleast 4' deep the you will have less to worry about.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:01:35 PM by kenputer »

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:36:49 AM »
Yes I did ask this question before but I thought there might be something wrong with that diary entry because nobody responded and when I look at the list of people that commented one of the commenters is "Guy wire tension". So I thought I would start another diary.  

Thanks for the article - It does give very good information about my questions.  I have found that tower questions don't get many responses on this board.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:36:49 AM by SmoggyTurnip »

Devo

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 06:20:36 PM »
You raise good questions. It would be great to see some of the people in the know fill in the blanks(I am curious too ,as I am going to be putting up a tower soon).

I would definitly get down well past the frost. I took a drive to Tilsonburg a while back to buy some disks,Hughs book & a killa watt meter from Craig & Connie , I believe their site is Canadian wind power. There tower had a fair amount of slack in the cables , I believe Craig said the extra tension would add downward pressure(ie more wieght) to the tower & this makes sense to me I would think tight cables would make the tower want to buckle more & put extra stress on the cables in wind.

I would love to hear others input aswell before building mine also...

Devo    

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:20:36 PM by Devo »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:57:50 AM »
Hi Devo, next time you are at Craig&Connie's can you get their tower details & photoes if possible, I susppect I may be waisting money on turnbuckles.

regards Allan

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:57:50 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Devo

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
I've only been there once but I do need some more disk's for my next turbine so maybe I'll make a trip again & see if I can get some shot's. It seemed like a nice sturdy tower.

Devo  

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 07:14:08 PM by Devo »