Author Topic: pictures of lister-petter  (Read 3597 times)

pepa

pictures of lister-petter
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
This is A few pictures of the lister- petter and the numbers off the plates for those folks that are going to help me locate the materials and papers on this unit. The maintained sheets I found inside the cover state that the unit was set up for decommission on 1/11/06. Engine no.40 02490 AC1C053 6.5hp. R/min 3500 .the heater was put together by engineered air systems inc. part no. 8721 100 design activity 98752 NSN4520-01-0691 ground type H-1 90598 contract no.F09603-87-C-1906 serial no. BT46 82838 numbers stenciled in 98752-8227018-01 this unit was bought from Letterkenny army depot in Penn. And I live in the southern part of South Carolina, a 1,230 mile round trip, but worth it. The shippers wanted $850. And it cost me and my wife about $400 with motels (two nights), food, gas, and a little sightseeing along the way. Total trip miles 1,323 thank you for the help pepa.

i hope these potos are not to large as i am down to almost wallet size. pepa
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 09:03:10 PM by (unknown) »

pepa

Re: pictures of lister-petter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »
i'll try it again, resized to wallet size

sorry about that pepa
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 03:23:34 PM by pepa »

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »
Pepa,

I went over and looked at your files. I don't have a problem viewing them but on well.

Is this an aircooled version? I've been lookin for watercooled info.

RogerAS

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:10:03 PM by RogerAS »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:17:07 PM »
It is a clean machine, DON'T YOU DARE try to rebuild it !!

You have 4500 + hours of life

Nando

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:17:07 PM by Nando »

pepa

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »
thank you for the advice Nando, my experience with diesel engines is very limited and i am grateful for any help. i work on small engines to make a few dollars to pay for my RE addiction and to keep myself occupied. the oil in this engine looks very clear after i spun the motor over for a quick test of the starter and electrical system. turning the shaft by hand was very tight on the compression stroke and the overall condition of the engine is as new condition. i want the parts and manuels suppliers for future reference only and will follow your advice about opening the motor up until needed. i have read that the head has to be cleaned to remove deposits and i would like to have gaskets on hand when needed for this job. thanks again to everyone for advice and comments. pepa.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:39:20 AM by pepa »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »
Pepa;

Can you look on the side of the first picture and send up a pic of the first thread and see if that is a data plate?

I'm online pulling what I can , but most of the numbers aren't working online, may have to resort to IMing son "over there".

Bruce S

BTW: I am fully inpressed with how clean this unit is, most of the time they only power hosed 'em down.

I can reconized most of the components :-) even the high-amp reho just under the starter.

Also, if you're good at small enigne rebiulds then these souldn't be too hard to wor with, just much higher compression ~ 20:1 types.

Running B20 or even B100 will keep the crud out of the head area:-))

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:29:19 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

pepa

Re: lister id plates
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 11:19:35 AM »
bruce, this photo is of the plates on motor and outside of unit. i could not get readible photos so i traced the numbers by hand to make them readible. i made a mistake copying the first numbers that were stenciled in and caused you extra trouble. i doublechecked these numbers to make sure they are ok, sorry about that, the only evidence i could see that this motor has been used was to stick my finger in the exast pipe, every thing else is very clean, no buildup of any kind. i also believe they changed the oil and filter, even the air filter has been replaced. thanks pepa.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:19:35 AM by pepa »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
THIS IS PERFECT!!

Just what I was looking for.

I've had to enlist some help from the enlisted ( yep self intended pun::__))

As soon as I get the info I'll let you know what I have.

I'll either come in as a PDF or may come by snail mail.

Had a CSM online asking why I was looking , we had a good chat then off he went with a couple grunts to pull the FSMs and to pull in online searches for me.

I can't ask them to hurry, even the COs don't tell a CSM to hurry, but I trust them to come back with evertything you ever wanted to know.

One thing, he said right off the bat... deep six the air cleaner and get one that works...even if you have to modify one..

said it'd be better to use an aftermarket chrome one for a single-barrell carb that to keep the one on there.

Cheers

Burce S

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 02:21:22 PM by Bruce S »

inode buddha

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 05:58:41 PM »
You should contact George at utterpower.com.

He's a dealer and also uses them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:58:41 PM by inode buddha »

pepa

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »
Great!! Bruce, thanks for everything you are doing to help.i will be glad to pay any expenses you have getting this info to me. i have several projects to finish and then jump on this with both feet. first step will to modify air filter, pepa
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:16:24 PM by pepa »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »
Pay?

NO way!!!

Glad to try and help.

Still can't promise anything, I have to work with their schedule;->

CSM says it he wouldn't think that anything over a 10KW will be able to be used with this engine without over working it possibly keep it down to the 5kw size would be best without really pushing it. But also says it'll run one heck of a hot water shower unit....

He owes me one, I shipped a plastic still to 'em :-)))

Cheers;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:36:27 AM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »
The still was to distill water :-))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:51:59 AM by Bruce S »

pepa

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »
i have read your diaries and believe you about the water still (said that with a big smile on my face). what would you think about coiling about 20 or so raps of 1/4 soft copper tubing around the mufler as a preheater for my hot water tank. at present, i only plan to use this unit as backup to my solar and wind but the more i look at the little engine the more i would like to build something with it. i am currently working on a generator design that if it works should eleminate a lot of the current problems and easy to build. it may wind up as a square wheel but i am enjoying myself. also came up with a way to make copper ribbon for stater coils, will post soon. thanks again Bruce, pepa
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:53:39 PM by pepa »

pepa

Re: playing with my petter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 12:51:53 PM »
sunday aug 13, i couldn't wait any longer, had to see the engine run, flushed out the large fuel tank and put in five gal of diesel fuel and installed a battery, forgot about having to use the glo-plug, hit the starter and it cranked on the first or second turn of the flywheel, must have had fuel in the line. i found a winner. set and watched it run for about twenty min. while i considered what i could with it. i noticed that some equipment in the area behind the heater exast was being covered with wet spots, i had left the heater switch on and fuel was being fed to the heater burner and being blown out the back by the blower fan. the heat exchanger has been removed and the burner is loose and not connected to the orifix supply line, i will rework the heater now that i have found that i can run the altenators off of the flywheel and have heat and electrical at the same time. the outlet on the heater is twelve inches in dia. and the motor and heater use the same fuel tank. pepa
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 12:51:53 PM by pepa »