Author Topic: 3 wire generator remote starter, done!  (Read 4440 times)

Volvo farmer

3 wire generator remote starter, done!
« on: October 01, 2006, 12:24:37 AM »
Thanks to fishfarm, I solved my problem of how to remote start a 3 wire generator from a 12V high/low signal off my inverter.

He suggested these time delay relays, available online here for $17. They come in a neat plastic box, which I put to good use

Here's a picture of the original relay in my distribution box. It worked to remotely start and stop the generator but because it left the stop contacts closed all the time, it drew down the generator starting battery overnight.

Here's how I used that plastic box. The relays came with nifty double sided foam tape on the back of them. Into the box they went. The top one drops the start button signal out after ten seconds, the bottom one drops the stop signal out after ten seconds.

Here's the LP 4500W generator, wired up and waiting for me to need it. I hope not to need it very often.

Here's why this is so important. When it's five below and has been snowing for two days, I can call my daughters and get them to push the button without having to get off the couch!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:24:37 AM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

domwild

Re: 3 wire generator remote starter, done!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
Hi,

Interesting setup! I take it the inverter signal is strong enough to be used in the starting relay setup or does it have to be amplified first?

Am intending to use UPS LED signals to drive relays, but suspect a signal driving a single LED is not strong enough to do much.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:59:07 PM by domwild »

Shadow

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 11:03:04 PM »
Hey Volvo, Slick looking setup! I noticed you have both a Trimetric and a Mate? Are they both necessary? I just got my VFX3648 today along with Morningstar TS-60 and Trimetric. Been busy reading manuals all evening. Should I have ordered the Mate instead of a Trimetric? They seemed to do similiar things. And What size/type of DC breaker did you use?This calls for 175 amp which I never thought to order at the time.I'm hoping to hook the inverter up temporarily while were waiting for the house to be finished. It says to use #6 wire on the ac side, that seems fairly big is this what you used? Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 11:03:04 PM by Shadow »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »
Hi Shadow,

The Trimetric and the Mate are completely different animals. The Trimetric measures instantaneous amps and cumulative amp-hours, essential information that is not supplied by the Mate... Well, the Mate will show power out but it's resolution is only to the tenth of a KW. The Mate's main function is to be able to program the inverter, especially the charger portion of it. You will not be able to customize things like absorb and float voltages when charging with a generator unless you have (or borrow) a Mate, though the default settings might be fine in your case. The Mate also programs the "aux" terminals on the inverter. I'm using the "aux" function to be able to remotely start my generator, though there's a bunch of other things you can make it do.

I have a 250A breaker but I'm at 24V, I think 175A is right one for 48V. Did you get yourself a DC distribution box to mount that breaker? You'll also need a shunt for that Trimetric to work. Outback's PSDC has a shunt included, and I'd imagine Xantrex makes a similar product. Oh... and are you sure that Trimetric will work at 48V out of the box? Seems I remember something about the 48V model being a special unit and different than the normal 12/24V unit.

Yes, I used #6. My installer first told me I could run #8. Turns out he was wrong and we got to pull 60' of wire out of the conduit and do it again. If you're not drawing very big loads out of it, I imagine you could go with smaller wire temporarily.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 06:58:03 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Shadow

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 07:57:03 AM »
Hi Volvo,

I didnt realize at the time I needed a mate to program things. I am not planning to use the inverter as a charger (at least not right now).Yes I still need to pick up a couple shunts for the Trimetric, I have 4 or 5 on hand but not sure of there rating yet.Yes I did get the 48 volt adaptor for it. I will order the Mate today and shop for a breaker. Do I need to buy a special DC box for one breaker? Or can I rig some other mount up? This free energy is killing me!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 07:57:03 AM by Shadow »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »
Them DC breakers are wierd things, they don't mount properly in a standard AC box. I suppose you could just bailing wire it to a piece of plywood but if it was me, I'd do it right.

Here's where I bought all my Outback stuff, this guy seriously discounts Outback products. He's over 10% less than altenergystore for the stuff you need.

http://thesolar.biz/Outback_PSDC_DC_Disconnect.htm

I'd get a PS2DC if I were you, About $200, but will last the lifetime of your system. Call Tom up at thesolar biz and he'll make sure you get everything you need to hook it up right. He was very helpful with me and I didn't lack anything when it was time to install my system.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:13:25 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.