Author Topic: Stirling failure #2  (Read 937 times)

windstuffnow

Stirling failure #2
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
  Well, my second attempt at using the inner tube approach failed miserably.  It might work with higher temps, I ran it up to about 250 degrees with my 100k BTU heater and it ran about 3 revolutions before it stopped.   Each attempt resulted the same.  

I could see the pressure building in the tube but without an external restraint on the tube I believe it was absorbing most of the pressure swings allowing very little to push the piston.  I may attempt a quickie shield/restraint before I move to the next stage but at this point I wouldn't recommend the tube approach for large diameter pistons.

Don't feel bad bill... you have another few weeks to make another attempt.  I may take a short break and build a small one just to take my mind away from it temporarily.

My next approach will be either a 6 or 8 inch steel cylinder with a plastic piston. This will put all the forces on the piston...  The 8 inch diameter will depend on the ability to get that big of a piece in my lathe, I've machined a 6 inch in there before but I'm not sure about the larger one...

I changed the displacer stroke to 7.25 inches so the smaller diameter piston will also be increased to to 7.25 stroke ( or there about ).  

The end result isn't as fun as the journey to create the machine ( especially in this case )... it's definately been fun and challenging !  3 revolutions is only the beginning...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:54:22 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

stop4stuff

Re: Stirling failure #2
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:11:46 PM »
tough luck Ed...

a tube CAN be used :)

Ed mail me , paul(at)stop4stuff(dot)com, you'll be surpised how simple the solution is.

paul

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:11:46 PM by stop4stuff »

QUAZ HOLT

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
Paul, Bill here could you post here for all to read. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:06:51 PM by QUAZ HOLT »

stop4stuff

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »
Sorry no can do...

My design is so simple & fresh that there may be the opportunity to patent it.

I will, however, share my design with a select few after their agreement to only use my design for their personal use.

paul

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:45:27 PM by stop4stuff »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 12:42:33 AM »
Paul, I have a desk full of sweet ideas so fresh that they will slap you in the face. Patent will only cost you lots of money. Believe me, I have been there, done it. Save your money and use it for something useful.

Joseph.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:42:33 AM by WXYZCIENCE »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »
Im just going to say it, -liquid cooled/heated tube piston arrangement-. When considering the thermal equilibrium of the working surface area; working fluid expansion or contraction has preference over thermodynamics...

"I could see the pressure building in the tube but without an external restraint on the tube I believe it was absorbing most of the pressure swings allowing very little to push the piston.  I may attempt a quickie shield/restraint before I move to the next stage but at this point I wouldn't recommend the tube approach for large diameter pistons."

I think your logic is right-on with this Ed. The biggest problem with these ground-breaking solutions is there feasibiltie :).

Ive heard of those who cheat, and use an rapid heating element coupled by electrical contacts(with a piston arrangement). With this example, one can grasp the difficulty of thermodynamic heat transfer per cycle, of the working fluid only, ovcoarse:). And the benifit of high temperature differental between stages.

JW  

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:11:21 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:19:27 PM »
Darn it!

I meant to say, 'high pressure differential' between stages. Versa, 'high temperature differential'. That should be relative anyhow :)

JW

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:19:27 PM by JW »

veewee77

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:38:20 PM »
Something better than a patent?

No guarantees, here, but do this. . .

Document the bejeevies out of your idea, prototype and any other information you have with photos and textual accounting.  Make several copies. Compose an affadavit stating that you were the originator and take all of the documentation to a notary. Sign in the presence of a notary, seal them in envelopes and mail them.  One to yourself, one to your bank to be placed into your Safe Deosit Box (if you have one) and you can just keep the third one.

DO NOT -EVER- open the one you mailed to yourself, or the one that is at the bank.

If you send it to the bank, send that one registered. Requires an official signature.

File the one you sent to yourself away.

Purpose?

U.S. Mail is an official government agency.  Your documentation will be date-stamped with the postmark and the contents will be secure as long as it is unopened.

Total cost?  Postage, documentation supplies, mailing supplies and notary fees (if any). A LOT cheaper than a patent! And possibly more secure.

Get a patent if you want to, but they are just about worthless anymore.

If you find your idea out there somewhere being produced, you have U.S. Government officially date-stamped materials in your possession proving that you were the first with the idea. Whoever else has it will have to have proof as well.

Doug

P.S. This is NOT legal advice. This is for information ONLY.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:38:20 PM by veewee77 »