Author Topic: Lost and Found  (Read 1180 times)

disaray1

Lost and Found
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

A few months ago, the Mrs. and I were riding around a rural area of Central Florida, and happened down a small dirt road, and found a house at the end with a For-Sale sign. The house was in a bit of disrepair and empty, but in OK overall shape. The back wall of the house faced due south, with about 600 feet of cleared pasture behind, and clear to the east for about 800 feet. The price was right. We bought it, and have been restoring the home since we moved in in November.

The old guy that had built the house had lived in it until he died from cancer about a year ago. Were not sure of the circumstances surrounding his heirs, but the house came fully furnished and with all his personal effects. We've been finding things here and there.

Found this in an old rusty horse trailer..

and the plate on it's cranckcase...

This thing weighs about two hundred pounds, has a Wico magneto and a Model A spark plug. It turns over very nicely and seems to have good compression. The carb is all brass. Some research indicates it's from the 20's, 5 horse, with the operating range from 200-1200 RPM. Even has PTO. I love the brass tag on it's side recommending the "Gargoyle Mobiloil Artic" for winter....the 12 inch cast flywheel looks like a axial flux in the making.

My wife found this under a big fallen oak, overgrown with brush and vines and covered with a canvas tarp so dirty that the tarp looked like part of the tree...

This was in the garage...I'm still not sure what the old guy did with it, but I can think of a few things I'll use it for...foam cutter maybe??

These Sandhill Cranes have been coming by everyday and stirring up the cats. The cranes are not afraid of human or cat.

Numerous found things have already been ditributed to friends and relatives and I did'nt get photos of most of the stuff. I currently have a bunch of found duck decoys that need a home. There's probably 10 or 12 of them. Anyone willing to pay the shipping can have them. Takers?

The old house was smack in the middle of high density residential. No chance for flying a mill there. The home owner association would have had a fit, not to mention the code enforcement people and the city. This new location is about 17 miles west from the Atlantic Ocean, and there seems to be a constant breeze from the east. We are about 20 miles from the Kennedy Space Center so we get a good view of the space shuttle when it goes up. Even the windows rattle from the rumble. And the twin sonic booms on re-entry are incredibly loud. Very cool.

I'm anxious to get the home repairs done so I can get back to tinkering. The first item on the agenda is a motor conversion (ordered the magnets today from forcefield, thanks guys!) and some blade carving.

fixed your pics next time rename them to something without the C__ stuff that gives scoop fits.
Kurt
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:11:00 PM by (unknown) »

disaray1

Re: Lost and Found
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »
Uh-oh. No pics. Where did I go wrong?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:17:56 PM by disaray1 »

RogerAS

Your Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Disaray1,

I fixed your photos, I think. They may have been too large bytewise or the space after "C" and before other naming may have been it. Anyway here they are, and feel free to grab them from my files and do with as you see fit.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:42:34 PM by RogerAS »

disaray1

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »
Thanks Roger. I'm still trying to figure it all out. The motorcycle was not found at the new place, (and not sure how it even got into my files here)...that's been with me for years. Rejetted and it runs quite well on moonshine er I mean alcohol. ;)

David

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:03:54 PM by disaray1 »

RogerAS

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »
Daivd,

No effort here, that's what I do, grpahics and web stuff. With the right software, and platform, graphics are easy. Now, writting Perl scripts or cgi stuff drives me nuts!!!

I had a CB 350 1972 model that I rode all over the country. When the warranty expired I put a Yushimora Big Bore Kit, Crane roller cam, bigger carbs and custom exhaust on it. With the 8" extended forks a disc brake replacement, a wild seat and sisy bar it was a mini chopper back before it was "cool" to ride one. Yep the actual pot leaf embedded in the tanks' paint job didn't win too many smiles from the many cops that stpped me. Oh well it was a sweet ride. I mention all that to get to the rejetting. It took dozens of tries to get the little honda to run right after all the mods to the engine, but once it hit that sweet spot it would pull wheelies at freeway speeds with just a crack of the throttle. I showed many old tired Harley's what a rice grinder could do.

Ah the good ole days!

Glad to help David. BTW, what year is the 360?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:08:24 PM by RogerAS »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
nice bike..

is it a 360--cant quite make out the numbers..

just sold my 360 a couple of years ago--tax man--they more than tripled the value of my house-[all within one year]

so the taxes went sky high ;{

those 360s are kind of rare mine only had 9000 miles on it when i picked it up for 300

bucks..it was was hondas idea as a street racer-high rev engine--

sounds like you made out big time on the house and land--my dad would love to have that old engine--he started a old engine club in orgon years ago-still going strong at 90..

well good luck with your new house and let the mills fly high........

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:10:15 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

disaray1

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 04:48:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Hiker and Roger.

The old Honda is a 75' CL360 Scrambler. The CB had the pipes down below that swept up at the rear. This has the pipes along the side, at side cover height. I recently  saw an identical bike go on ebay for $3200. How many watts of PV will $3200 get?? ;)

David

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:48:37 AM by disaray1 »

drdongle

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:43:53 AM »
If the Home and properties deed predates the residential area many or all restrictions may not apply to it. you need to investigate it further before you throw in the towel on wind. Of course Solar may still be a possibility.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:43:53 AM by drdongle »