Author Topic: Bottle caps for Ni-Cad my 6volt batt paks  (Read 6651 times)

nothing to lose

Re: How many hrs. tv?
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2007, 06:43:47 AM »
Now you got me thinking TV.

I don't want to screw up the thread, but you may like this, and it should work great on Bruce packs with a small TV (also other power sources of course) so I'll post it here for you. I'll post everything at once so we don't have allot of questions messing up the battery post.

Sometimes you can find those little 7" or so battery/car powered TV/radios cheap.

I have a couple black and whites I never used, I think they come in color models now and still cheap at yard sales etc.

If you have or get one of those, you might try a fresnel lens in front of it to make a projection TV system, your 14" should work well also But I would look for the small cheap ones. 2 cardboard boxes size of screen. Cut top and bottom out of one box and tape to TV, after painting inside flat black. Take second box and paint inside flat black, this box cut one end out of so it slides over first box. Cut other end and tape on the Fresnel lens. Now shine onto white wall or such, slide the box with the lens in or out to adjust focus.

This actaully works pretty well sometimes. Depends alot on the TV used, size and brightness.

Here's the drawbacks. For best picture a darker room is better, go for the theater look.

Picture is upside down and backwards LOL

You can use a mirror to correct this but I forget how exactly. You either face the TV and box/lens into the mirror and reflect to the wall, or you face TV into the mirror and reflect into the box and lens. Maybe either way worked?

You can turn the TV upside down to correct that, things are still backwards so text is odd, movies generally fine but reveresd left to right. You can also cut the wires on the picture tube and reverse them to correct the image, again I forget how exactly. Easy fix but be careful messing in a TV! 2 wires should be vertical and two wires horizontal I think. Anyone doing this and not sure what they are doing should seek professional TV help or advice!! Switching the wires is fine to flip the image, DON'T GET HURT doing it!

I bought a tv once to do this with brand new, when I turned it upside down the color ran out LOL

Funny but not really a joke. My other larger TVs were fine upside down, too big and akward etc.. so I bought one just for this allot smaller. Upside down I think the color went to black and white, or it just lost most of the color. It was fine when turned back right, I returned it for a refund.

Anyway might be something interesting you would like to try. You can normally get a plastic fresnel lens at some of the $1 shops for of course $1 :)

I never tried to use 2 lenses, if it works with 2 lenses then it should correct the backwards upside down problem, like a telescope. 1 lense everything is reversed but 2 lenses it's back to normal.

Smaller TVs work better than large ones, and TV close to the size of the lens is probably the best though larger works also. Never tried a smaller but it should work good also.

You can easily test this with your TV and just watch the picture upside down and backwards for testing to see if you think it's worth messing with.

My thought on this is with Bruce packs you could probably get a longer run time with less amps using a smaller cheap TV and get about a 21"-50" good picture as a projection TV system. Depending on allot of stuff, you might get a 100" picture.

The larger the picture is the dimmer it sometimes looks. If you get an old small TV with brightness adjustments you can turn it up brighter and have a nice larger picture.

I did this before but lost my space for it so I don't have one now. This post mentioning running a TV on Bruce packs has me interested in doing it again and thought I'd share. A 7" TV is too small for us, and the 20" is basically a power hog.

If I can find a cheap 7"-14" battery powered color TV I will try doing this again myself and run it on Bruce packs also.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:43:47 AM by nothing to lose »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: 6volt batt paks modified
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »
Norm;

That's pretty cool. With that and a return spring I can see where you'll be able to get some charging out of just swinging on the porch:--)

Did you have to fiddle with getting the length just right?

Thanks for the pic.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:48:48 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

valterra

Re: Bottle caps for Ni-Cad my 6volt batt paks
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
I bought some PVC Pipe, Caps and Machine Screws so I could make my own.  Thank you so much for the idea!

My mill currently only puts out 12v+ on moderately windy days.  But it does put out 6V+ on a pretty consistant basis.

My idea is to make two 6V packs to charge with my mill by hooking them up in parallel.  But is it possible to make a 12V bus bar by hooking the packs up, in series, maybe using some diodes?

I hope I explained that correctly!  I'll upload a schematic if I can find a good program for drawing them!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:46:16 AM by valterra »

valterra

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 08:22:45 AM »
Here's my crazy circuit.  Thanks ExpressPCB.com!

The big M on the left side is my Motor (aka Genny)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:22:45 AM by valterra »

valterra

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 11:39:07 AM »
I'm seeing now that I've just drawn another parallel circuit.  The 12VDC outs would be 6VDC (minus whatever diode voltage drop).  But still, is there some way to do what I'm talking about?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:39:07 AM by valterra »

s4w2099

Re: 6volt batt paks modified
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
One question. So you crank for an hour to get the batteries charged?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:53:23 PM by s4w2099 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
I don't believe anyone has come up with a way to do what you are thinking.

(except with a 4 or 8 wire stepper motor)

They can be charged at 6V and used at 12V, but not at the same time.

It takes a DPDT switch.  One way is Charge, the other way is Use.

It unloads the windmill.  Could be a problem.

G-

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:56:37 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nothing to lose

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »
Hey Glen,

To charge at 6V and use at 12V, could he use 2 bridge rectifiers for the genny output, one going to the first 6V string and second to second 6V string? Keep the 6volt strings isolated from each other that way for charging, and if using at 12V it would be an equal load.

Is that what's he's wanting? Sorry late and I'm droggy.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:25:24 AM by nothing to lose »