Author Topic: Convert Induction Motor to DC genrator  (Read 1365 times)

Alaska

Convert Induction Motor to DC genrator
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:48:57 AM »
I have a 2 HP 3 phase induction motor that I have lathed the armature out of to accept 1.5" x 1/2" neodymium magnets.  But I don't know how many to use or how to place the magnets with the poles in the right direction. Does the motor have to be wired differently? Can anyone give me details? Please help I have been working on it a while and can't seem to get it right.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 05:48:57 AM by (unknown) »

smidy

Re: Convert Induction Motor to DC genrator
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
search for "zubbly"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:04:00 PM by smidy »
Aland islands in the Baltic Sea

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:44:42 AM »
Post more info on your motor. Nothing to go by to offer any help specific help.

Also what is your goal, 12V, 24V, 48V?

You may need to change coil connections for different outputs depending what you want.

Basically look at your larger coils, how many do you have? 4? 6?

That's how many magnet poles you need. How wide is the center of the coil, that's about how wide the magnet pole should be.

If you have an inner and outer set of coils, just count the larger outer set, the ones away from the armature side.

You mount the poles on the armature alternating the North and South poles up. So for 4 poles you have N S N S .

If you make the poles straight acrossed the armature it will cog some, maybe allot. That's the bumps that make it harder to start in the wind, you'll feel those when turing by hand as thumps. If you angle the poles slightly you can lessen the cogging effect for easier startup. An angle of about the width of a stator tooth should work. Or you could count the teeth and figure it in degrees for the angle, 36 teeth would be 10degree, 360 circle/36 teeth=10degree. Angle all poles the same.

I don't know all the ways that 2HP 3ph could be built, so it's hard to say much for details. I moslty do normal 120V 240V motors, not much for 3phase.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:44:42 AM by nothing to lose »

kurt

• website
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »
what rpm was the motor to start with read the name plate 3600 = 2 poles 1800/1750 = 4 poles ect. 1150 = 6 poles. that is if you are in the united states or someware with 60hz power if you have 50hz power then the rpms would be diferent.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:24:46 AM by kurt »

Alaska

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »
Thanks for replying. I've been working on this project for a couple of weeks with information from the otherpower.com site.

Info on the motor:  2HP, Volts=208-230-460, RPM is 1740  60hrtz 3-phase  it has 9 wires.  I think I have 6 coils, the center of the coil is about 3 inches and my magnets are 2 inches.(not 1.5" like I previously said).

I would like to know if north and south is when the magnets stick together or push apart.

My goal is to get 12 volts from a hyrdo wheel(squirrel cage) using the homebrew wind generator I saw on the experiments page to charge batteries.  I am running about  110 RPM right now.

On the page I was looking at it said the more phases the better it will work at lower RPM, so thats why I am using 3 phase.  The first one I used was single phase, but I really couldn't get it to put out.  I may have put my magnets in wrong.

Do I have to match the magnets with the coils or can I add more magnets?

Everything you wrote was helpful. Any other information would be helpful. Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:22:57 PM by Alaska »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:21:15 AM »
That motor is 4 pole. You need 4 poles of magnets on your rotor.

Make the magnets 2/3 of a pole pitch and the spaces 1/3 so that you have gaps about half the magnet width.

If you are making the poles from smaller magnets then you need all N facing outwards on the first pole, then all S facing out then all N and finally all S.

You have N poles opposite and S poles opposite, with adjacent ones alternating N S N S

With individual magnets the N pole of one will stick to the S pole of the next. All the magnets making one pole need all to face the same way and will be tending to repel one another and you may have to force them to stay in place as you glue them.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:21:15 AM by Flux »