Author Topic: Rope light problem  (Read 2965 times)

tomscot

Rope light problem
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »
I use 5 individual sets of mains powered (230Volts UK) LED rope lights to light advertising signs around 5 meters above ground level. Each set has a 8 way electronic controller that allow different light sequences to be selected. I want/need the lights to be continious glow all the time. The problem is that when the lights are switched on they default to a flashing mode that is unsuitable. To correct this the controller has to be reprogrammed using a button on the unit. In practice this is pretty impractical because of they are fairly innaccessable. The controllers are marked input 230 volts x 8 ohms output 230 volts 2X 4 ohms. There is a live and neutral feed wire to the controller. There are three ouput wires to the lights coloured 1 brown (live?) 1 blue (neutral?) and 1 green yellow ( normally ground/earth but clearly not in this case). Does anyone know how the lights can be made to made to be in permanently in constant glow mode?

Thanks for any advice you can give

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:14:51 PM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Rope light problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »
I worked doing lighting for a 'Disney On Ice' show that lasted a week. They used lots of ropelights in the show. Sections of them would always stop working. They would need to be repaired on a weekly basis. One of the guys that traveled on the road with the show said "Ropelights are of the Devil".

If your lights are hard to get too, then I would try to figure out some lighting that is more permanent like LEDs. Or make things easy to replace like lots of outlets around your advertising to easily replace ropelight sets, or lights in sockets for easy replacement. If you can run ropelights a little dimmer, you will get a LOT MORE life out of them.

I see a lot of ropelight advertising around here, It looks great in the beginning but after a while the weather messes it up and it never seems to get fixed leaving a bad image of the company.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:59:08 AM by wooferhound »

DanOpto

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:25:16 AM »
Check the outputs from the controller into the ropelights.

If the output from the controller into the ropelights is 230v, then eliminate the controller and connect the ropelights directly to the mains.

If the output is less than mains voltage, you must find a transformer that matches the output voltage and substitute the controller with the correct transformer.

You must find a transformer with the same output amperage that the ropelights need to light up.

If the output is Direct current, you must add a rectifier bridge to turn the AC into DC.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:25:16 AM by DanOpto »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:40:36 AM »
All guessing.

It probably has 2 live wires and 1 ground.

The controller decides when each live is live.

I can't imagine the output is 230V, but that's what it says.

The controller box has a forward voltage drop, a bridge rectifier, capacitor, and some resistance.  Like Woof said, increase the resistance for longer life.

Sounds easy enough?

Rectified 230AC is 325VDC.  Not safe numbers if you don't know what you are doing.

G-

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:40:36 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tomscot

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:34:21 PM »
Thanks for these comments. I have connected the lights direct to the mains leaving out the controller, using the line and neutral feeds (230volts) Did not connect the green/yellow since nothing to connect it to - the supply from the plug is two core. The lights did not work but resumed working when the controller was again fitted.  The green and yellow wire clearly has a purpose but not as an earth since it is not wired to ground.  I suspect it serves as a second live from the controller (although if this is the case the colouring seems strange).

Thank you again for responding.      

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:34:21 PM by tomscot »