Author Topic: Fiji Trip Status Update (26 March 2007)  (Read 971 times)

BT Humble

Fiji Trip Status Update (26 March 2007)
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »
It's been raining pretty much every day since we arrived, with a cyclone veering off at the last moment and instead becoming a serious rain-dumping tropical depression.  I bought a newspaper this morning and noticed that there was flooding around Nadi (where we were a few days ago).

The practical upshot of this is that the grass landing strip on Vanuabalavu is saturated and unsafe for use.  Our flight was supposed to leave yesterday (Sunday) but it has been delayed.  I called at 7am this mornign to check and was told probably Wednesday, but I'll try again tomorrow morning just in case.

This is unfortunate because we're now going to be limited to a 3 day stay (assuming we do actually get away on Wednesday), so we'll have to work some long hours.  I looked into the possibility of staying an extra week but unfortunately that plane back is already fully booked.

If only I could learn to control the weather, hey? ;-/

BTH

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:58:03 AM by (unknown) »

richhagen

Re: Fiji Trip Status Update (26 March 2007)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
Well, it is a bit of a bummer that we haven't gotten out the Vanua Balavu, I have gotten to explore the capital city here, Suva.  I have observed many solar hot water heating systems mounted on roofs here, and througout the main island, but very little in the way of photovoltaics, or wind power.  There is however mains power in these areas, and the relative costs of solar panels compared to wages here is more extreme than many other places.  We have explained to a couple of folks who live on remote islands who were visiting the capital, how these basic simple lighting systems work, but we have done little actual work here.  Still for me it is exciting to visit a far off distant land.  Rich
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:11:04 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
got any pix ?

well at least your in Fiji .

whats it like?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:22:27 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
I'm now back and have begun to whittle away at the large pile of tasks that built up while I was gone.  I took a ton of pictures, and plan to post a lengthy diary entry on the trip once I get them sorted out.  Rich
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:16:01 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!