Author Topic: Power Tools!!!  (Read 880 times)

Spdlmt150

Power Tools!!!
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »

I wasn't sure where this would fit in, so another diary entry it becomes.

After seeing a posting on this site, I looked up the "Lancelot" cutter. It looked to be the scariest hand tool I have ever seen, so I went on working on the current rotor with a draw plane, chisels, and a sander.

I will probably not carve a rotor by hand again. For anyone planning to make more than one rotor (which I can't imagine stopping at one) this is one of the best tools to be had. I put mine on an 11000 rpm angle grinder (harbor freight cheapo) and bought a 2X8 to make a new 6 foot rotor for my motor conversion. The prior 5 foot rotor took me an entire weekend to cut (and was a miserable failure). The 6 foot was done in about 4 hours, with the correct angles. I have never seen anything carve wood like this.

If you choose to try one out please read the instructions. They will save your fingers. Repositioning the guard will force you to cut in a way that is fairly safe - keep in mind that nothing is completely safe with a chainsaw blade turning at 11000 rpm. Aside from that, it is one of the most amazing wood carving tools I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Between the Lancelot and a sanding disc (flap disc) on the angle grinder, making a rotor of moderate size is a fairly quick & easy job. The new 6 foot rotor is working quite well, and I don't have blisters to show for it. (pics coming soon on the baldour conversion entry)

Thanks to all of you who share information here, and have contributed to my newest addiction. I am working hard on an axial design & hope to contribute something quite beneficial to all soon.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:16:00 AM by (unknown) »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
Re: Power Tools!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »
Please send some pictures about the tool and the blades. I'm trying to convince a man to use a similar tool for new blades.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:00:19 PM by hvirtane »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »
Hannu;

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:27:57 PM by TomW »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »