Author Topic: Solar Powered Room  (Read 1656 times)

mtbandy

Solar Powered Room
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »
I first started visiting this site maybe 3-4 years ago, just reading the pages over and over again but never really building or installing any systems myself.

Anyway, it all started earlier this year when I bought a cheap amorphous panel on eBay, advertised as a 4-5 watt, but since installing it the maximum I've seen from it is a staggering 1.8 watts! The panel float charges a 12v 13Ah SLA by the side of my bed, and it powers my reading lamp and charges my phone.

Here's the panel in the wooden frame I built:

And here it is on the garage roof, where it has been for the last few months:

Anyway, obviously this was enough to get me hooked on renewable energy, and this meant buying more stuff! I still live with my parents, so all the power I use is mostly confined to within my bedroom. My goal was to reduce my room load as much as possible, and after performing a load analysis on all my appliances I came to the conclusion that I should be able to power everything, except the base unit of my PC, with a 50 watt panel during the week, with a larger proportion coming from the grid at the weekends. I'm hoping for an average of roughly 200 Watt/hrs per day usable power from the system, taking into account inefficiencies. I'm hoping this is a fairly realistic expectation.

The loads consist of the room lighting, which is a 7 watt CFL, my desk lamp, which is a 3 watt CFL (measured draw 2.5 watts), my TFT monitor, amplifier, ADSL router, reading lamp, 12v clock radio, portable TV, and various chargers for things such as phones. Obviously not all on at once! Wall warts are to be eliminated through the use of a 12v power leads, and eventually my cheapo 300 watt inverter will be replaced with a truesine inverter.

Anyway, the obsession is just beginning, today my panel arrived (a 50 watt monocrystaline) along with a basic solar charge controller to get the system up and running. The panel is shown here pushing over half an amp into two NiCd cells, just by lying it down on the grass pointing at the clouds! No sun whatsoever, I'm quite impressed.

The next task will be welding up an A-frame to hold the panel, this will be placed on the garage roof and held in place with sandbags. Hopefully this will be enough. I've already drilled a nice big hole right through my bedroom wall to the outside (how I managed to get away with that I'll never know!) so the cable can come right into my room.

Anyway, I've already written way too much for this diary entry, I'll try and keep my diary thing up to date as I install the system properly. Thanks to everyone here and to the creators of otherpower.com for the inspiration! So far my gear has an 18 year payback time, and I'm already deciding what to buy next. Guess you could say I'm hooked then.

Cheers, Andy B (UK)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:52:35 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Solar Powered Room
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:16:29 PM »
Andy,

You and Fungus should get in touch with each other as I believe he has done the same as you and graduated to bigger and better things on the board here. I think he is still in school, also.

I don't know what part of the UK that you and him live in but with luck, you may be fairly close.

Have fun with your hobby that may turn to bigger things/

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:16:29 PM by jimjjnn »

nothing to lose

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
Looks like your off to a great start there.

Cheapo 300 watt inverter will not normally run your clock radio very well though. Radio part might be fine but the digital clock will most likely gain or lose many hours a day, even just over night!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:27:37 PM by nothing to lose »

fungus

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
I guess I 'sort of' power my room now, a few things at least :-).

I've got two 18w panels but they only put out about 28w max. Hopefully with the ametek mill up I'll be able to power it all :-)

Where in the UK are you again mtbandy?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:55:23 PM by fungus »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »
I am also doing the same as you, and Im in the UK, AND my name is Andy :-) Lots in common!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:02:54 PM by AbyssUnderground »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »
He said its 12v so it won't lose time :-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:08:58 PM by AbyssUnderground »

mtbandy

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:47:03 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments, good to see a few from the UK as well doing similar things! I'm in the Midlands, 4 miles north of Derby. I quite often visit Fungus's and Andy's websites to see what they've been up to. The renewable energy scene around here is absolutely dead from what I can tell, I haven't spotted a single wind turbine or PV array even in the more remote areas! Having said that I've just finished working at a well known heating company designing solar DHW systems with intelligent controls, which was quite interesting. Some of you guys would have had fun in the returns department at the company!

As for the clock radio, yes it is a battery or mains model - so contains it's own clock source. To run it on the mains, it uses a wall transformer, so I should be able to plug it directly into my 12v system, and still have a fairly ordinary clock radio - something I can't really live without!

Anyway just purchased 25 meters of 10A cable to wire up the panel, that's enough to do 2 parallel runs if needs be but I don't think the line resistance will be too much of an issue. Dads mate was supposed to be bringing a mig welder around last night, but that didn't happen. I might make a temporary frame in the meantime. Still need to get a battery too!

Andy

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:47:03 AM by mtbandy »

andyman5002

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:09:21 AM »
Great progress there andy!!

Im another andy in the UK setting up a system very similar to yours, my charge controller is almost identical, im looking to do the same as you and power my room, or part of it :) Ive just bought two panels off ebay one 70W and one 80W and I have two home brew ones in the making. Ill post some pics soon, im just trying to figure out a way of mounting everything.

Where did you get the cable from?

Also keep us posted on your system very interesting.

Andy

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:09:21 AM by andyman5002 »

mtbandy

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:04:43 AM »
I found the cable on eBay, 25 meters for £8.25 from this seller. Much cheaper than Maplin anyway!

Mounting the solar panels in a semi-permanent way is proving most difficult at the moment, I'm now going to use 2 concrete slabs to form the base for the frame, and simply place it on the roof.

Where abouts are all the other UK people from?

Andy

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:04:43 AM by mtbandy »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 08:08:05 AM »
Im from Middlesbrough :-)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:08:05 AM by AbyssUnderground »

fungus

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »
I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:51:40 AM by fungus »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
Hello.

The small solar system seems to be a good way for people to get into renewables.  Wind turbine are big things that need lots of space so not as many people can afford or have the space to have them.  There is a crowed of use in the UK now back in the day as it ( the old board) was there was only a couple of us from the UK.  

The Solar panels you got from eBay look really good quality and i think i have delt with the same seller from Germany.  I have set up a couple of small <200 watts systems now with those basic charge controlers (C/C) they do the job and are good value for money.  

Lots of small companies are popping up all over the place and all over the UK but so many are reliant on the goverments grant system.  This has limited the development of some companies but I rekon there is at least 1 local company trading in renewables.

Good to have another UK'er on board the FL board Keep reading theres a great deal of information on this site to keep you intrested.

Regards

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:13:49 PM by Jon Miller »

andyman5002

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 04:58:07 AM »
I'm from the North West of England :)

Andy

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:58:07 AM by andyman5002 »