Author Topic: more ceiling fans  (Read 985 times)

pepa

more ceiling fans
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:09:52 AM »
   while the glue was drying on a project i desided to play with my ceiling fans. this first picture shows what happens when you just throw a large amount of magnet flux at a bunch of coils with no pattern to it. the drill press was set to 710rpm. there are 16 magnets 3/4 x 3/4 round placed in four groups at nsns with a couple of saw blades to help strengthen the flux. i wanted to see if i could possibly stack several of the staters together with magnets between each stater and the flux covering wire on both sides. from there i build a wooden radial with 20 of the same magnets and a quarter inch of wound one and one quarter steel strap for backing. now i'm waiting on that glue to dry for some real test of this motor stator.

would it be worth while to strip the wire from about five of these laminitates, put them side by side and rewire as a single stater? i have several five horse motors that when the lams are removed, would give me 3/4" all around the stater for magnets. using the existing end bells and a new shaft i could have a good size weather proof radial. it is pretty easy to mill out the slots to a larger slot size and skewer on the drill press before they are tied togather on the shaft. my question is, will it make a conversion that would be worth while? it should be an easy conversion, just playing, pepa.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:09:52 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: more ceiling fans
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »
How many ceiling fans are you gonna put on that stator ?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:08:44 AM by wooferhound »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »
Gimmy some them fans .I'm doing as you suggested in Craigdot I could use 5 more .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:01:33 AM by tecker »

pepa

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:40:47 AM »
hi Wooferhound, it looks like i can fit five or six into the motor housing as long as all of the slots line up for rewiring and will buy magnets to match. pepa.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:40:47 AM by pepa »

pepa

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
hello Tecker, you can have all that is left when i get around to doing this project. i have a lot going right now. pepa.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:47:21 AM by pepa »

A6D9

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 07:03:15 AM »
I don;t follow, are you going to use 1 motor housing and have like 3/4 fan stators in it and each of them will have magnets?  so it'll be like having 3-4 mills all wound in series  no?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:03:15 AM by A6D9 »

pepa

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 07:50:58 AM »
    i really dont know what i am doing but if i strip out the wiring, increase and skewer slots, rewire and mount five or six of these lams on a stationary shaft and revolve a motor housing with proper size magnets as a radial, i should get the same effect as a regular full motor rebuild. this method will be a lot easier to do than a regular motor rewind because there is very little milling on the stator witch now takes the place of the rotor. a keyway cut into the shaft under rhe back bearing will give me a place to bring out the wiring. the motor housing will rotate with the blade arbor attached. in other words a radial machine that is weather protected by the housing and should have good heat disipation with openings at both ends for air flow.

i was thinking that i could weld brackets to the forward part of the motor housing to mount the three blades to and leave the front of the generator exposed to the wind for further cooling and better balance of the weight. the pivot point and the offset can be worked out for blade clearence. might make a nice looking machine. i need some feedback on this idea and also wiring of the doube depth slots. it won't be my first failure if it doesn't work. thanks pepa.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:50:58 AM by pepa »

Gary D

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 06:44:22 AM »
 Carefull Pepa, on the third picture, you may get into 100 plus volts fast! Make sure you set your volt meter to a high setting as you will get the increase due to the lamanates and wire getting the proper flux cutting. On pictures 1 and 2 the effect is quite different... Thoughts from the very cheap seats- play safe-  ;-)  Gary D.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:44:22 AM by Gary D »

pepa

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »
thanks Gary. pepa.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 08:27:57 AM by pepa »