Author Topic: Delayed project underway  (Read 1156 times)

timmy

Delayed project underway
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:00:11 AM »
somthing I have kicked around a bit and needed to do to see results for myself.

just actually some free hardwood scraps, some masonite or hardboard for tail and rotors, I actually do expect this to fail at somepoint (probably sooner versus later).

wide blade width to catch more wind, greater than >15mph to start.

hardwood supports jointed for more support.

at this point I made tail removable by slot, I may or may not secure it.

27.5vdc inline gearmotor at 200rpm, oz in unknown, but can be easily turned by hand.

I got to play with this the other day at 15-20 mph wind gusts.  As I stated greater than 15mph to start.  You can hand crank this as it sits to 24v, but shorted amp is unknown at this point and time - but, not to say it can achieve >24v with wind. Total cost thus far is about $13.50

probably a complete waste of time, but fun :)

oh, it is designed for a 4" piece of pvc tubing to slide right over the whole thing in case it isn't obvious.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:00:11 AM by (unknown) »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Delayed project underway
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:56:55 PM »
I like it and it sure demonstrates your creativity. Wouldn't surprise me if you were left handed. I wondered about the size and then saw what I think is  at least one 4" electrical fixture box cover at the hub ? Then using a 4" PVC pipe for a cover sure does finish the deal. Keep building, keep posting and I bet you'll carve some blades soon if you have not already. Nothing like watching a profiled blade come out of stall and take off like a bat ! I sure can relate to the fun you are having as many of us here can. Thank you for sharing, what's next ?  Dave B.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:56:55 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:30 PM »
what a kool little wind Turbine. I love to see creative thinking, but beware RE is addictive and it almost always leads to bigger machines.

good work I hope to see more of your Projects.

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:46:30 PM by luckeydog »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
nice little mill...

i would move your mount more towards the front..

it would track the wind better i belive...right now your blades have a

lot of levarage..and might make your mill turn back and forth in the wind..

just my thoughts..........have fun..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:58:03 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

timmy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
I forgot to mention, it is just a mini ;)

Dave B, the little electrical box covers seemed to be the ticket for getting some steel in such a tight little spot, they are also easy to find center by crossing, or making a crosshair point by using a ruler and sharpie pen.  I am a righty, but I just enjoy tinkering with stuff.

hiker, you pretty much nailed it, both mount point and blade angle of attack (for me it is still very much trial and error, this is only my third little genny).

the little motor has a history too - a google search with the following info that is on the motor "to be used on AN/APR-14" shows "Panoramic Radar Receiver; manufactured by Raytheon, Belmont Radio; used in B-52, B-57, EB-66".

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:54:01 AM by timmy »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
timmy;

Not much to add that others haven't already said about the mill, but I sure do like the attetion to detail with respect to the wood cutting.

I like the attention used in keeping the bolts and screws counter sunk and the cutting to support the motor is top notch.

Understanding that these are learning point for you, are you going to valspar the wood anyway? or reuse them for the next bigger units?

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:09:01 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

timmy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:18:34 PM »
Bruce,

I'll probably just give the exposed wood a couple heavy coats of oil based paint on this one.  

If I was to get serious (it's hard for me to get too serious as I currently live in town), but I think if I was to take the time to actually carve some blades, I would give them 2 coats of (UV resistant) spar varnish followed up with a couple coats of oil based gloss black paint - sanding in between each coat with perhaps 120 grit or somthing.

I can only imagine real gennys take a serious beating from the elements, ice storms have to be horrific with the added weight and expansion of the ice, not too mention hail storms, excessive winds, etc.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:18:34 PM by timmy »