Author Topic: power from running a hose?  (Read 2900 times)

turboredcart

power from running a hose?
« on: August 19, 2007, 01:11:08 AM »
i had in mind- a way that running water would spin a wheel that would charge up a battery-this would generate power. Watrer rates in my town are the same price weather I use 1 ounce or an ocean.

i am new to this whole field- s0=im trying to figure out the logistics.

1. how many watts I could expect.
  2. how to proceed.

in 2009 deregulation is total in my state- they predict utilities will tripple in price. meanwhile- solar rebate help -is stalled- the legislation. [for PA]

Help??

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:11:08 AM by (unknown) »

turboredcart

Re: power from running a hose?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
I would also connect such a system to a 3 story water fall-list up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:14:05 PM by turboredcart »

pepa

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:37:35 PM »
someone will have to pay for that water and you need some place to put it after you finish with it. if you have a irigation system or a recirculating system for a large pool you might make a few watts, but someone will still have to pay for moving the water. i have a large inground pool and run the pumps about eight hours a day for filtration and a little gadget that i call packman that runs all over the pool sides and bottom vacuming up any loose material it passes over. the water pressure from the circulating sysrem powers the wheels and it is strong enough for the grand kids to ride. something like that might work but i still have to pay for the power to run the pumps when i domt have enough wind. pepa
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:37:35 PM by pepa »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:57:54 PM »
turbo;

All I can say is this is really silly. The water is pumped up to height after it is treated. This would make it a energy waster on several levels.

While it would work, it is NOT renewable energy and it IS a ridiculous waste of potable water. While you will not pay the cost, someone will.

Not to mention, it has been discussed here multiple times with the same bottom line. I just say it right out front while some others will find a PC way to say it.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:57:54 PM by TomW »

Chagrin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:54:32 PM »
I think the most PC way to say it, is that when you run the numbers the power output from the water hose is not enough to pay back the water.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:54:32 PM by Chagrin »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
I agree with the other guys, this is not a good idea. In my country water is a rare resource and in many cities it is now illegal to use a garden hose to wash the car or water the garden. To fill a swimming pool involves ordering a tanker load of water, not cheap.

While it shows some clever lateral thinking, using water in this way is a waste of some one elses power and could be called stealing.

I think sometimes there is confusion between renewable power and free/cheap power. Using the wind or sun to provide your power is renewable, ever lasting and good for the planet. But, as an example that pops up here from time to time, burning used engine oil to make your power, while cheap, is not renewable or good for the planet.

Glenn

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:49:28 PM by gizmo »

cyplesma

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »
and collecting power via renewable sources is not really cheap either. sure you can get lucky finding all the right parts and IF you have the time it can be done relatively cheap, but there's always long term maintenance with diy renewable power also. Something else that's easy to forget.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:55:48 PM by cyplesma »

vawtman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »
I ran my hose on a electric fence when i was a kid and extracted alot of power.

Still feeling the effects too.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:36:43 PM by vawtman »

pyrocasto

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »
Dont forget that stuff like this also drives up the prices. Though you pay fix rate doesnt mean that fixed rate cant go up. ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:22:08 PM by pyrocasto »

Perry

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 06:41:48 AM »
I always thought of running a heatexchanger in line with my water line source to bring the temp of the water up a bit and use the cooling effect for the house.  Not much a gain but still FREE.  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:41:48 AM by Perry »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
cyplesma;

True and not true.

The wind power being gathered by DIYers may not be cheap and in some cases high-maintence. However, it may be the only choice they have due to locations involved.

In the diaries there is a new post, where Al cans were assembled using other parts, either gathered or even if bought new not expensive, that will not require a lot of maintenance if any.

And time versus cost is always a relative cost, based on how that person feels after a project comes online or the amount of knowledge they gain if it doesn't.

JMHO:

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:42:51 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »
""2009 deregulation is total in my state- they predict utilities will tripple in price.""

If you do what you are describing, then your rates will go up faster than they are predicting.

I kinda like the recent reply about preheating the water and cooling the house by a small amount. and to get every possible BTU from the air conditioner by running the condensed cold water over a heatsink before the drain.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:23:53 PM by wooferhound »