Author Topic: A little better (new rotors/video)  (Read 1488 times)

timmy

A little better (new rotors/video)
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »
but probably more suited for my Amtek 30vdc motor.  

the motor in this video (my first video btw), does cog a bit and requires a higher wind speed to start. It did reach charging voltage in the shot of about 15.5 volts open (when you see 3 blades slowly turning to the right).  When you see multiple blades or anything turning to the left, it was less than 12v.

Still playing with the vane some as well, effective, but not real attractive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aILqZt6-VLg

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:24:48 PM by (unknown) »

Birdmmjb

Re: A little better (new rotors/video)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
Timmy what size blades are you using.

I have a 30 volt moter and a large set of blades and rarely get to 12 volts.

Any information on your blades and what you think the wind speed was in your video would be welcom.

Jan

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:30:31 PM by Birdmmjb »

timmy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:27:05 PM »
Jan,

these are the 36" diameter TLG Tri-Nado MM rotors and hub.  Guessing the wind was at 10mph to 15mph, but only a quess.  Wind has been highly erratic today from SE, S and SW., ranging from 3 mph to 25 mph.  Wind Gen is only about 12 feet off ground and catching alot of turbulance from my garage to the left (not seen in video), garage to the right and my house (I am standing right outside sliding glass door during video shoot), not to mention everything else ground level :(

According to TLG data on this rotor, 15 mph produces aproximately 750rpm (on Amtek 20v,30v and 40v motors).  At 15.5 volts with this motor I was only at 178rpm, I think that is due to cogging (180v motor at 0.0871v per rotation versus published 0.0334v on my Amtek 30).

I will be trying the rotors on my Amtek 30 once I get a little extra money to purchase an arbor.  I also want to hook the 30 up to a friends drill press to get an actuall (or at least very close) volt per rotation reading.

I'll post my findings of the Amtek 30v paired with these rotors if you would like.

Best

Tim

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:27:05 PM by timmy »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
You ought to have it where those tree branches are whipping around like crazy.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:25:00 PM by Norm »

timmy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »
I am hoping to get it finished before too long and mounted on the garage, I may be pushing my luck at that - have to see what our city council says :(

30 feet high would be nice though!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:40:14 AM by timmy »

timmy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
maybe a better shot with VM in video, still a very breezy day today so great to get a better idea of what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vsb3J14f7E

sorry, I don't know though the speed of the wind gust that took it to 25.9 volts, I believe about 18 mph or slightly less going by my next door neighbors weather site.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:22:50 PM by timmy »

pepa

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »
 a offset motor and tail bearing type tail will help hold the blades into the wind without yawing so bad. it can be done with wood usng a door hinge for a temperary setup. good start. pepa
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:54:27 AM by pepa »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:08:57 PM »
The mill is getting whipped around a lot by the turbulence around your house.  If you could just take the unit out of town for an afternoon and clamp it to a field fencepost or something you would probably learn more.  Then try this:

Put a ribbon on the tail, which will tell you the true wind direction.

If the mill is still hunting about, grab hold of the tail and keep the ribbon lined up yourself.

The mill will probably stabilize its speed, and maybe even run faster.

Any wind-speed / RPM / power data you collect while doing this will be more reliable.

Just be careful as you approach the spinning mill!  This is not a wise practice with windmills larger than yours!

I also think it's neat when the blades turn at the video frame-rate.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 02:08:57 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca