Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 1115 times)

Shadow

What is it?
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:06:04 AM »
We came across these, while cleaning out an old shed.Cant seem to find out what it is. Its made by RAYTHEON (A company into Radar and surveilance). Its mounted on a piece of plywood 8 by 6 inches. The circular part is magnetized(fairly strong).

Has receptacles for electrical connections on the white part.I'm tempted to apply 12 volts to it.It is airplane related, besides being marked USAF-CRP there are other Airplane related items in the shed.

A Magnetron? or?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 05:06:04 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
I can't see very well from the black pictures but your description fit that of a magnetron. I have no idea what the heater voltage is but it would not be wise to try 12v without confirmation( seems very high), and activating the heater would get you nowhere without the EHT.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:22:45 AM by Flux »

WindChopper

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 05:52:46 AM »
Google the 2J56A part and you'll find out that its an X-Band Magnatron.

Nice curiosity piece, but not much else.

Russ

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 05:52:46 AM by WindChopper »

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Thanks, We Googled all the numbers last night but nothing seemed to come up.What would they be used for in an Airplane? Someone suggested blocking Radar? or finding radar?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:45:24 AM by Shadow »

dinges

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Looks like the magnetron tube out of a radar set.

I've taken a ship radar set apart once (manufactured in 1973), see this link for a picture of the entire unit:

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/dinges/radar_001

Your magnetron came likely out of a similar assembly.

It contains the magnetron tube on the left (with yellow & green wire coming out of it), a klystron tube on the right (KSB9-20), and a 'blocking tube' in the middle (SB-180). At the bottom right is the detector diode (solid state Germanium :) )

Your magnetron could've come out of a similar naval radar set.

I personally get very annoyed when people start applying power to things they have no idea of what it is, thus most likely ruining it, but it's yours so you're free to do with it as you like.

Doubt it's of little use, unless you're a HAM perhaps. The klystrons were used quite a bit for 10 GHz work in the past but have been made obsolete by Gunn diodes; the magnetron (a pulse magnetron most likely, not a continuous one as in your microwave) is pretty useless.

Regards,

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:26:00 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)