Author Topic: Kinetic tension energy storage ?  (Read 4662 times)

MaxT

Re: Kinetic tension energy storage ?
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »
asch... I'll just humbly learn my lesson and stop posting obscure scribbles. I'll draw the whole thing again, in clear detail of what I meant (which is best, since I am particularly clueless with industrially produced and available parts, as well as with english terminology). That's what we all got from me cutting corners in diagram quality and quantity. Sorry about the unneccessary confusion. From now on clearer diagrams.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:15:23 PM by MaxT »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »
Hi Max,

A long time ago, someone asked about suspended weights to store large amounts of power.

Someone went through the math.

IIRC, rising the entire house either 1 foot or 1 meter stored considerably less power than a common 12V battery.  The gearing losses made it worse. I looked earlier but couldn't find it.

When the wear and tear costs are calculated, I expect a 12V battery is still considerably cheaper than ropes and bearings.

I have a feeling that pumping water to a very high reservoir, then using it to power an 'on demand' hydro system could be better.

G-

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:26:46 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
What about raising a very heavy 12V battery to a great height?  B^>
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:41:48 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »
Some of the crazy batteries I have been seeing would weigh more than my house!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:10:15 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 01:40:27 AM »
There we go.  No a little NiCad/graphite paste to lubricate the wires where we pass them over a MW wind turbine shaft used as a pulley, and we have real storage!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:40:27 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

MaxT

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 07:23:25 AM »
Tried to think of that too... ended up with 2 solutions, both super awkward, if possible nonethless. They involved amazingly messy set of ropes and four large water tanks rolling up (empty) and down (full of water) 45 degree tracks... came to estimate that it's about as efficient as buliding the new copy of Giza Pyramids in low tech methods... with natural hill of that shape it might be more feasible... but all in all even wooden bow-springs seem a better idea... as they seem to be able to store several tens of times of their weight in energy. And with proper design no need for any bearings, and "product life cycle" could be made very ecologically low cost... still not sure whether it's just more efficinet to use the wood for CO Gasification (or CH4, even ?), which can be done as high precision low tech stuff... utilize the produced heat (heating, clay owens, generators), burn the resulting CO for heating/generators, feed the resulting CO2 to plant cultivations (preferably greenhouse ones... or to ground level of open air ones... at least some would then go to feeding the plants)... and ashes to plant nutrients (or if charcoal is produced, then the ashes from that... and ground charcoal powder to Tiera Preo Do Indios technique for turning sandland into farmable soil while tying C to it for long time... for mycofarming and myco-orchards and myco forestry... or just myco remediation in case of polluted land.)

But anyhoo, I'll be doing a proper diagram of the proposed "Tensioner" thing when I can find time for it. One from which it is actually possible to decipher what I tried to depict. Never ever again publishing cryptic rushed sketches which just cause more confusion.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:23:25 AM by MaxT »