Author Topic: Tool trouble  (Read 3228 times)

Birdmmjb

Tool trouble
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »
Yesterday I pruchased all the supplies I needed for the dome to cover my swimming pool.

The purpose of this is

1.  Extend my swimming season as the pool water is getting a little cool for swimming.
  2.   Use the dome as a green house through the winter taking advantage of the solar mass of the pool to keep the temp up overnight.

That said the errors and problems begain.

One I didn't check the measurments on 35 cuts used the first to mark all the others.  Cut them all 1 foot too short. I can fix this as I am using pvc but still makes me mad at myself.

Two the sons in law have carried off all my tools cant find anyone who admits to haveing my saber saw, saws all or the nut drivers to my drill. Probibly the same one that I know has my generator and power post hole digger and battery charger.  You really should not keep mother-in-laws tools it makes her mad!!!!

So I go buy new nut driver set and hack saw blade to do this the hard way.  Pick up 10" balde for hack saw thats what I own Yeah thats it.  NOT I have a 12" I live a good distance from town and will now have to wait until later to get the hack saw baldes.

Maybe I'm not to have a dome could be the gods are trying to tell me that it is going to fall in on my head one day and drown me in my beloved pool.

Oh well I will try again this weekend surly somthing will go right.

Jan

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:56:32 PM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

Re: Tool trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »
I hate it when that happens #@&*! It can't be any worse than my 3 hour trip to camp, just to find out that I had left the camp keys at home. I hated to break a window but it sure beat sleeping in my tiny GEO tracker. Yes, I locked up my tool really good, so even I couldn't get to them. Well... I did find the splitting mall and used it as the master key to open the tool shed, needless to say.. I had far more things to fix, than when I had arrived there!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Jan!!

Good luck, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:52:14 PM by snowcrow »

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:00:02 AM »
Good locks only keep the honest out. If a REAL thief ever shows at you cabin, they will use a masterkey similar to the one you used and open up anything they care to. Sometimes it is more advantageous to leave remote places 'open to the needy'. It can be a lot cheaper than repairing the damage.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:00:02 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

dinges

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
Masterkeys are old-fashioned. Lockpicking has lost its use too:

http://www.toool.nl/bumpkey-alert.wmv

Note: the more expensive & better the lock, the easier it is to open.

Sleep well tonight...

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:01:25 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
dinges;

Sleep well tonight...

Ahah, yes, but behind that cheap lock is this not so cheap .38 which is the handy diversion til I grab the .44 hand cannon:

If the possibility of one of these looking at you was behind every locked door crime would plummet.

What am I saying, I only lock the doors when we are away and then that same .38 could come up the driveway any time. One way in and one way out has its advantages.

"The meek ain't gonna inherit nothin west of Chicago." -Sam Elliot in a western.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:31:19 AM by TomW »

scottsAI

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
All (4) my hack saws have a slip joint, can change the length to use the 10" blades.

Locks do seem to keep kids out, unless looking for trouble.

Have fun,

Scott.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:07:10 PM by scottsAI »

Birdmmjb

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:11:04 PM »
So does my hack saw.  I found it out yesterday when I decided to put the old blade back on as it would still cut pvc and I could get a little work done.

As to locks, Last week I was in Tulsa at a horse show I locked the tongue on both the horse trailer and the flat bed that I use to haul my buck board waggon.  Someone cut the lock of the flat bed and took it.  They tried to get the large lock off the horse trailer but couldn't.

Had to buy a new flat bed to get home. Ouch, buying in a strange city cost me. My $800 flat bed here, where I know were to shop cost me $1600 there.

Jan

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:11:04 PM by Birdmmjb »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
As someone already said locks only keep an honest person out! very true I had my service van broken into a few years back and lost my entire Snap On tool collection.

The best security system I found is Zuese he is 14 stone (200lbs)and always on patrol! nobody gets past him lol, only snag is he takes a bit of feeding!

We always sleep well, but there is always 12 gauge standing by just in case.

Sleep well!

Russell

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:40:00 PM by Hilltopgrange »
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

jimjjnn

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:17 PM »
Our Rottie was named Zeus, also
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:20:17 PM by jimjjnn »

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 05:09:03 AM »
I like your line of thinking Tom :)

If all windows and doors had a 38, 44, or 9MM behind them with the trigger tied to the opening (door, window), who really wants to open it??

If most homes had this, almost all homes would be safer, does a thief or worse know which home is which or has or has not?

A simple curtain blind and sawed off shotgun would stop allot of crime!!! Perhaps also free up some courts, no need to prosecute the dead!

But then we would be violating criminal rights, and heaven forbid we deny them their right to rob us free of harm!!!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:09:03 AM by nothing to lose »

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
 All you have to do is shoot one thief.

Word get's around [no more trouble].

Haven't locked my house for over 20 yr's.

Have not lost a thing in all that time.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:53:44 AM by elvin1949 »

scottsAI

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 02:00:42 PM »
I take it you have a very sweet buckboard wagon. Had trouble figuring out what that is.

Auctions for full size go for $700 and up. To buy a $1600 flat bed to take it home may have been cheaper to sell the wagon. Start over. Sorry about your loss.

I have no idea if this is better: http://www.trailerlock.com/five.html

Has anybody used it?

What locks have others used?

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:00:42 PM by scottsAI »

coldspot

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 03:28:17 PM »
"The meek ain't gonna inherit nothing west of Chicago."

"Sleep well tonight..."

Out west I do with my FMJ MOD. D.D. CAL. 45,,..!!

(Colt 45 Long or 3" 410's)

{kept loaded with 3" 4 shot in it's 3 3/4" barrel}[A legal store bought sawed-off].

Resting on the headboard!!!

It replaced a throw-down 9 a few years ago, sleep easy with this handy!

The shed/shop got a power flyswatter's power parts, I busted, wired to the padlocks to keep out anybody that dousn't know how to turn off the power before trying to unlock them! (I've only forgot about twice, ouch,!,LOL!)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:28:17 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Birdmmjb

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »
The buckboard is Amish made and solid oak looks like a piece of furinture. It cost me more than the new trailer but I failed to mention that I also had 2, 2 wheel sulky carts and the Motorized "mule" with me and they also had to find a way home.

When you leave for a 13 day horse show you find you carry everything including the kitchen sink.

During the show I live in an extra stall and rent another one with friends to be a kitchen complete with a full size refrigator. Saves a mint over eating out and motel bills during the show as well as allowing me to be close to the horses (we took 7) if somthing were to go wrong. Such as one getting sick or out of his stall or someone trying to take one off the grounds which has happened before.

I bought another mondo lock like the one I had on the horse trailer for the flat bed.

I'M so glad they didn't get the horse traler the expense of getting a new one would have been more than I could have come up with.

Jan

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:22:40 PM by Birdmmjb »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »
Evidently, more of us than only me, would like to see a diary about somebodies 10/.22?

If anyone has a cryo treated barrel, etc.

G-  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:37:37 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Warrior

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 06:20:48 AM »
Indeed firearms are good protection. We live in the country side with lots of open wilderness around.

My dad always had his 357 magnum close at hand. Any time something fishy was going around (dogs barking, etc) he'd fire a few shots and...silence for the rest of the night.

We only once got robbed. After all the neighbors (occasional thieves) heard a few gunshots, we never ever got anything else stolen. So far 14 years later it's still OK.

This can't be stressed enough; you have to be extremely careful with firearms. It's not the first time somebody shot down a relative, friend or parent thinking it was a burglar.

My dad (RIP) always taught me to be careful and NEVER point a gun at somebody, whether unloaded or not.

After he passed away I put all firearms away. So my now inherited .357 Magnum, Ruger .22 pistol & .38 Smith & Wesson are all asleep in the closet.

We had a Remington .308 rifle that got sold very cheap.

I like firearms for target practice :)

You have to be very prepared & decided to shoot at somebody (not my case), so be very careful before you pull the trigger.

Warrior

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:20:48 AM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

elvin1949

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:39 PM »
RULE'S

All gun's are loaded [Even the empty one's]

Don't point a gun at something unless you plan

on shooting it.If you can't follow the rules,

sell the gun-you don't have any use for it.

later

Elvin

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:38:39 PM by elvin1949 »

Spdlmt150

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »

10/22 got stripped down for cleaning a couple years back. Ended up with a custom cut/crowned match barrel, hand finished thumbhole stock, almost obnoxious Leupold scope, Volquartsen trigger.... It'll hold half inch groups at 100 yards. Lotsa fun. I'll hafta take some pics of it.

Home defense is still relegated to the Remington 870 12 gauge, or the Kimber 45 with the laser sight. Something about that little red dot that really gets the point across.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:04:51 AM by Spdlmt150 »

richhagen

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
"The meek ain't gonna inherit nothin west of Chicago."

I intend to keep what I've got in Chicago too.  If one comes to take stuff from me or my neighbors, they had better come prepared as I don't intend to give it away cheap.  Rich

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:40:37 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

coldspot

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »
ghurd-

10/22

Now we are talking about one of my favorite toys!!

:)

Mine-(Stainless of course)

Folding stock,

Silver Scope,

Flip up covers,

Look thru silver rings,

Muzzle Brake,

(hides threads for supression, all silver or SS)

(Custom 3 D cell maglite, made into a,{see above})

Custom homemade RED DOT,

with hidden battery packs under the barrel and in the pistol grip handle.(AAA's not button cells)

Trick switch for red dot thats a bolt with only a couple of threads hanging down in the hole for front sling mount. rest on hand and dot is on!!

Many 25 shot clips and auto loader,

Extra SS barrel,(traded a 12 pak for)

The Bunny Blaster!!!

(Glad they seem to over populate every 6-7 years)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:45:03 PM by coldspot »
$0.02