Author Topic: All 'deep green' mains/grid electricity from tomorrow...  (Read 818 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
All 'deep green' mains/grid electricity from tomorrow...
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi,

Anyone in the UK that wants to be 'green' should look at Ecotricity for their electricity supply since Ecotricity will match your current supplier's (standard) rates and invest (vastly) more per customer and £ income than any other UK supplier in building new wind power, and wind is currently ~30% of their standard mix.

(Switching domestic supplier in the UK for electricity (and/or gas) is a pretty trivial free phone call or Web-page away.)

Even if you don't believe in Global Warming, etc, you could consider a personal (free) boost to new wind power to be a contribution to diversity and security of supply in the face of rising prices and constricted supply for fossil fuels of various forms.

I've actually gone on Ecotricity's slightly higher tariff that guarantees that all power that we buy from them is 'deep green' (wind/hydro/solar basically), at about a 5% premium.  But after cutting our consumption by between 80% and 90% then that little extra is invisible!

We're currently down to just over 7kWh/day, with a small child here, and me working from home all but about 2 days per week.  My target is 5kWh/day, but as I don't want my family to live in the dark and cold, that may not be easily achievable.

(Note that we heat with mains natural gas / methane, ~10kWh/day.)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 08:44:32 PM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social