Author Topic: One handed attempt to build an Anemometer  (Read 3924 times)

RCpilot

One handed attempt to build an Anemometer
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:18:47 AM »
As most of you read, I crushed my right arm in an accident. Story here: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/22/12750/079

As any good tinkerer knows not being able to tinker, build. etc, has to be the worst thing you could take away from us. I am unable to use my right arm right now and am pretending it's not even there as I want it to heal as fast as possible. Surgeon said to not even move my fingers under their own power. I'm not working, on short-term disability. So, incredible amounts of free time and going crazy not being able to use it :(  I had been wanting an anemometer for a long time and decided to attempt to build one the best I can. Using the idea of "Easter Egg Anemometer" plans I found here, I built one. It took about a week here and there with a lot of time spent simply figuring out how to hold different parts of it while working with it. I used my lap, feet, underarms, teeth, etc to hold various parts while drilling, gluing & sanding. I know the project really isn't worth a diary entry but the fact I built it with one hand might be :) I used a robbed hard drive disk motor, had to cut the HD case apart as the motor was made into it and not removable like the "Easter Egg Anemometer" plans show. I bought one of those cheap bicycle speedometers off eBay to use as it has an average speed and max speed setting which will be used to log wind activity here in preparation for a wind turbine. Glued a tiny neo magnet to one of the spokes with two small pieces of lead on the other spokes for balance. Glued the sensor to the side with JB Quick and used it to glue the cups on as well. The "spokes" are CF rod I already had, I use it for RC plane building. Here are a couple of shots, going to paint it black and mount up high on my TV antenna mast. Got 75' of stranded telephone cable to run it down to the little speedometer. I'LL BE BACK!!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:18:47 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: One handed attempt to build an Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:56:17 AM »
nice...

just watching david letterman--while reading your post..they did a bionic guy preview.

they had to rebuild him...and so on..  :}
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 12:56:17 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Capt Slog

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:32:56 AM »
I've been thinking about one of these recently, and your post has given me the impetus to have a go.

I'd not considered the bicycle speedo idea (perhaps a google search of the board would help, duh!) for an anemometer.  

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:32:56 AM by Capt Slog »

coldspot

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:10 AM »
RCpilot-

Glad your listening to the Doc.'s

I didn't and walk with a limp, since 84!

"with two small pieces of lead on the other spokes for balance."

Thats a great thought, I'll be trying to balance mine now, before I put it back up. It has somehow lifted up over 1 1/2" on the rod the internal bearings ride on and flown to the ground, twice!

I used the cup n hub from otherpower, its great!

"paint it black"

Thats not a good idea, white would be so much better!

My

$0.02

:)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:52:10 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

RCpilot

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:48:45 AM »
Sometimes .02 is worth .50! I will take your advise and paint it white. Sun won't bake it as much!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:48:45 AM by RCpilot »