Author Topic: Leading Edge Tape  (Read 1728 times)

watermanhfl

Leading Edge Tape
« on: November 21, 2007, 02:08:41 AM »
After purchasing these beautiful 10' blades thru our sponsor I wanted to protect the leading edge.  The proper 3M tape was expensive and special order so I used Tyvek sealing tape.  This tape is available at normal building supply stores and has worked great right over top of the linseed oil.  After 1 full year there are no tears or rips.  Performance of blades is very good so not sure if tape helps that also.

For those who have noticed my other entries my cracked, overheated stator is still working well.  Opened up the gap a bit but still see 800 watts in good 20 mph wind before furling starts soon after. Tail is lighter now.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:08:41 AM by (unknown) »
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Leading Edge Tape
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:28 AM »
Not sure what your tape is or whether it has an equivalent over here, but it looks to be effective. The expensive 3M tape doesn't last for ever and unless you get it on perfectly it has bubbles under it in places and gradually it de laminates.

If your cheap tape lasts well and can be got off easily when it needs replacing then I think you have found a winner.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:16:28 AM by Flux »

coldspot

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:53:01 PM »
watermanhfl-

Looks Great !

But may I ask, are the blades only

protected with this on the outer half?

The picture makes it look like only the outer

half is taped off?

Thanks

:)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 06:53:01 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
Watermanhfl,

Is there finish/clear-coating over the tape?  From the photo it is hard to tell.

I've had pretty good luck with the 3M tape, but invariably I get some bubbles as Flux mentioned.  Sometimes they can be filled with paint or filler.  I usually try to put an extra coat of paint around the leading edge, particularly covering the line along the tape edges.  It is surprising how a tiny loose piece will cause an audible one-per-rev noise.

I remember woking on some older mills - Winchargers for example - where they used a thin metal flashing.  Any thoughts on that?

-kitestrings

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:33:11 PM by kitestrings »

wdyasq

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »
" where they used a thin metal flashing"

A real PITA to put on airplane props and usually had fasteners and a bonding agent. After years of outdoor storage the fasteners will allow moisture to penetrate wood and rot is possible if not inevitable.

Modern adhesives are no better than polysulfide, the 'old time' material. If duplicating today I would want to use 3M5200 or equivalent as the adhesive if I did not  want to mess with polysulfide.

Fasteners might not be needed at the slow speeds (relative) of a wind turbine. I would tend to use fiberglass cloth set in epoxy.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:12:54 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

watermanhfl

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 06:10:56 AM »
Hi all,

The Tyvek tape is common here in USA for joining seams in Tyvek house wrap.  Tyvek is plastic breathable sheet which is applied under siding to keep moisture and drafts out.

The tape is applied over the original 3 coats of linseed oil and edges have stayed down fine.  It is applyed to front and back side of blades around leading edge.  Only applied to outer, fast moving section of blade where most likly to erode.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 06:10:56 AM by watermanhfl »
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

Dozzer7

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
JC Whitney sells a stainless tape that the helicopter loggers in Canada use for control of rain erosion on thier aluminum spar tail rotor blades. It is only applied to the outer 32 inches of the blade. Very thin and has a great adhesive. Wickedly sharpe edges where you cut the ends. We use 8663 3M polyurethane here in the states for the same purpose. The stainless out performs the poly greatly but we can't use it here for lack of a control spec. If I remember correctly it is only 8USD for a 2 inch wide roll.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:05:28 AM by Dozzer7 »