Author Topic: lead acid battery charging & maintenance, intro  (Read 1005 times)

shay

lead acid battery charging & maintenance, intro
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
There isn't a battery catagory on Forcefield/Otherpower for the following information. If you are interested in the story behind lead acid deep cycle battery renovation/daily service, I've gathered a resource or two and will pass on what I've learned.

The situation involves the process of manufacture, the state of a junked battery, and the nature of the flooded lead acid battery business. The essence is what amount of effort (electrical power needed, technical expertise gained, equipment purchased or already owned, etc) one is willing to expend to have continued success. This is where the beginner decides it's probably not worth it. The problem is that NO one can afford to disregard the state of our current lead acid battery technology.  

This first reference will help you understand the basics of maximizing your battery success, physically and economically (Capacity Loss in PV Batteries and Recovery Procedures by Tom Hund, from the Photovoltaic System Applications Department, of Sandia National Laboratories).

My opinion is that most moderately affluent members of the world don't want to go to the trouble of reading the above resource. Their solution is to buy the best, pay the engineer/designer fees, contract the installation, and deal with whatever happens.

After reading THE SANDIA LABS REPORT gain from my additional research and opinion in this diary.  

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:09:59 PM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: lead acid battery charging & maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:01:52 PM »
Hello shay,

Welcome to Forcefield / otherpower.

Interesting first post or should I say two post, why?

You have done your home work, touche for you.

With that said it would have been nice for links to the documents you site, would have saved me a search. Tom Hund's document is a nice summery document, not much original work in it.

I have read many of the sited references. I could not find the US Marine document.

"My opinion is that most moderately affluent members of the world don't want to go to the trouble of reading the above resource. Their solution is to buy the best, pay the engineer/designer fees, contract the installation, and deal with whatever happens."

True, I have found I must become the expert in EVERYTHING I want and do. Every time I rely on the experts to give or do something I find they take advantage of my ignorance and it cost me in may ways.

The problem is there are sooooo many aspects to life it is hard to become the expert in them all. Yet I try. For example try investing without knowing anything about investing, I have seen it many times, the brokers are the only ones to make money unless the market is so hot that anybody could make money.

You must be young to make your entrance this way. I appreciate detailed theory about things, most here are looking for practical ways to build wind generators. I am a geeks geek. What are you?

Back to the purpose of your Diaries. You ask to know about the maintenance of a submarine battery.

Why? If you follow the directions of the battery manufacture you will get good life from the battery. Going beyond this for what purpose? I'm working on modeling the battery, I have realized I need to add the damage to the model, so thanks for helping me realize this. I was focused on the SOC.

I agree most should start out using golf cart batteries, much lower cost. If they are cared for as well as required by the expensive batteries, their life is good. A much better value.

Your Bio is interesting, are these the things your doing or interested in?

Remember this is all about having fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:01:52 PM by scottsAI »

shay

response to Scott
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
If I said I did it or am doing it in the bio, "that's the facts", Scott.

Submarine batteries and their maintenance are so important that they must have been studied to the max. I've spoken to a guy that worked on them. Didn't get a chance to get into details, except that he had seen "ball lightning" in the battery compartment. I'm not interested in compromising a persons security clearance so I'd rather find someone that can talk freely, knows whats classified, and whats not, and can discuss the subject.

And Scott, you have fun! I'm not sure what is fun....riding my motorcycle, eating ice cream, maybe......

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:05:44 PM by shay »

shay

powerpoint battery course to Scott
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:40:38 PM »
proceedings.ndia.org/5670/Vehicle_BatTraining-Abelson.ppt
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:40:38 PM by shay »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: lead acid battery charging
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »
shay;

Our "battery" section is Storage because we store the power in them.

cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:35:38 PM by TomW »

scottsAI

Re: powerpoint battery course to Scott
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:13 AM »
Nice link, thanks.

Scott.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:20:13 AM by scottsAI »

scottsAI

Re: response to Scott
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »
Learning and helping others learn is fun!

Have fun,

Scott.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:21:29 AM by scottsAI »