Author Topic: Storage UPgrade...  (Read 12731 times)

dapdan

Re: Storage UPgrade...
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Tom,

You need to look very carefully. The markings are either dittered with very small dots or pressed into the plastic of the top of the cell. All of them have it. A sample goes something like this:

KAH.....

Cheers....
Damani

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:45 PM »
Tom,

You need to look very carefully. The markings are either dittered with very small dots or pressed into the plastic of the top of the cell. All of them have it. A sample goes something like this:

KAH.....

Cheers....
Damani

Damani;

Near as I can make out one has  KJ123713090 Could be KJI and end in Q but I need better magnification and light to be sure. I will try a pencil rubbing tomorrow.

I Just stripped the thing out and horsed the can in place  inside. Any tips on reinserting them? Is it good or bad to reverse the side that is up from the original position it was in? I'm done for tonight because I expect it to be tough to reinstall them in place horizontally with the swelling on some. Best to start fresh rather than used up from moving everything [again].

I really really appreciate your input. Despite only having $200 or so in them I want to do the best with them I can.

Tom

jayson

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:05 PM »
Each cell has the units serial number on it, though it looks like you may have at least one replacement cell (the one with the very red positive terminals.)  The serial number should also be on the case, on top, or sometimes on a sticker on the inside of the cover you removed. If you have some sturdy block and tackle, try turning the battery on it's side so the posts face up, and lower the cells in that way. The only problem is gently rotating a 2,000lb battery back on it's side when you are done.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:44:27 PM by jayson »

dapdan

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
Tom,

The easiest way to get them back in is as follows:

1. Set the casing on its side so that the cells will be horizontal. These cell perform best when the electrolyte has to wick only up 7 or 8 inches as opposed to nearly 2 feet.

2. Remove the regulating valve at the top of the cell. To achieve this first remove the small disc like cap at the top of the valve then use a bird beak pliers to insert into holes of valve and turn to remove the valve. Once a cell casing is fully intact some pressure should be released if none isn't it means that there is a leak some where and pressure is not being allowed to build.

3. Use generous amounts of CRC or WD40 so that the cells could slide in place. Once the cells are in place reinsert the valve at the top of the cell.

When you confirm that code I will be able to tell you when and where that cell was manufactured so you can know the true age of your battery.

Good Luck

P.S.

About the CRC, don't put in on before you lift the cell as it will be quite difficult to impossible to handle. Lift cell horizontally and offer it up to the opening allowing enough of the bottom of the cell to enter the casing so that it could support itself (stick out horizontally binded between another cell and the casing wall) then spray CRC all around on all four sides and then give it a good horizontal push (you may or may not need a friend to assist dependent on the resistance you get) to get them back into their orginal position.

Oh... one more thing it doesn't matter which terminal is up or down up sit down and arrange them (on paper first) the easiest way so that you could link terminals together to get you desired voltage and beginning and end terminal in the desired location.

Cheers....
Damani
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:35:04 AM by dapdan »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
One possible reason why you don't have an ID label on your batteries Tom:  They were re-labeled by Champion to be sold to the lift-truck/forklift companies.  Once a product has gone through a few hands, those labels that allow an end-user to trace back to the OEM tend to disappear.  Typical way of getting the user to buy replacement parts from the retailer (for a small convenience fee, of course).

Damani,

Hi!  Thanks for dropping by to help.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

dapdan

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
Spar,

Not a problem, Its my pleasure, I am willing to help any member who has any queries with these wonderful GNB batteries. I call them the rolls royce of batteries.

Cheers...
Damani

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Ok, folks. Got them reinstalled in the can. Combination of gentle force, WD40 and loosened caps on 2.

Man I DO NOT want to handle these things again. I feel much better knowing it is done more or less  mechanically correct.

Many thanks to DapDan [Damani] for the insight on getting them in the can and how.

And to all the rest of you responders.

The number appears to be KJB27B090 or perhaps KJR27B09Q? Looks like they were deliberately defaced and the only legible way to read it is with a pencil rubbing and that is kind of unclear. R or B, 0 or Q its hard to say

Thanks.

Tom

dapdan

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
Tom,

More than like that code should read KJB27B090. So those batteries were Manufactured in the Kankakee Plant, IL on October 27, 1999 shift B. The capacity of each plate is 90Ah at 8hr discharge time. Therefore count the number of plates and you should have your total capacity. More than likely your cell carries 9 plates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...
Damani

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:42 AM »
Tom,

More than like that code should read KJB27B090. So those batteries were Manufactured in the Kankakee Plant, IL on October 27, 1999 shift B. The capacity of each plate is 90Ah at 8hr discharge time. Therefore count the number of plates and you should have your total capacity. More than likely your cell carries 9 plates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...
Damani

Damani;

Very useful!

That rating would be in line with the tag on the can which says 810 AH [your 90AH X 9 plates].

Leaving just now for an all day business  road trip so cannot check now but will tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Tom

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Finished [I hope]
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
Well, guys, here it is after all the effort I am pretty happy with it. ;D

Still need to degunk the insulator strips for the interconnects and snap them on. Probably put the cover on.

And then on to the process of redeeming the wimps,  I could use a better 12 volt bank for my wireless router that I run off batteries. Then my tired old Trojan 105's can go into the electric trike thing I snagged today for $250. One of those vehicles they use for running around a factory. Think of it as an off road Hoveround scooter for getting the mail, scooting the 1000 feet to the upper garden, etc without starting a fuel burning engine in the truck or ATV. Neither us get around very well on rough terrain so out here we seldom walk. And charge it from RE!

Just wanted to share the final result.

And, yes, there are 9 plates in these so they spec out as 810 AH [thanks DapDan / Damani]

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Tom

dapdan

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
No problem Tom, it was my pleasure. I glad to see you got everything back in the "can". Good job.

Cheers...
Damani

Volvo farmer

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »
Hey Tom, that Damani guy is wrong. You should have left those out of the can... Now get busy!

;D
Less bark, more wag.

dapdan

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
Farmer, you're hilarious. Tom I think his is trying to exhaust you so he can get your batteries without you put up much of a fight.

;D

Cheers...
Damani

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »
Hey Tom, that Damani guy is wrong. You should have left those out of the can... Now get busy!
 ;D

Then you better hop in that Cessna and get over here. Most days you can land in the upper hay field.
 ;D
 ;D
 ???
Tom

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »
Here is the final assembly without the lid:

Tom