Author Topic: Line resistance  (Read 931 times)

Capt Slog

Line resistance
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
An age ago, when I first started my project, the good Mr Flux said that I would need some line resistance with my set-up.  I think that the magnets were a bit powerful for the amount of blade I intended to carry.

It's taken me a long time to understand the implications of what he said, and even longer to get around to doing something about it.  I have mentioned in the past that I might be better getting some 'not so good' cable from the mill to the shed (around 75 feet) and doing it that way, but in the end I started to mess around with a bit of resistance at the battery.

I had no idea what sort of order to use, so my resistors to start with were lengths of nichrome wire made into coils.  These can get a little warm at times and that's not good for the nerves, and after finding that around 2 ohms worked quite nicely, and made one from what I had left after building the dump load.  I don't have a picture yet, but it's similar to this...

but only has 4 coils of around 9 ohms each.  This gives me a nice big wattage resistor of 2.3 ohms.

I notice a difference straight away.  Before, my mill was only charging in the gusts, now it stays spinning at speed for longer and the charge at the battery is much smoother.  I realise that I'm loosing energy to the resitor, but I think I make up for that by having the mill in the working region for more of the time.

As I said, I had no idea of what value my line resistance should take, was I on the right lines here?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:44:24 PM by (unknown) »

elvin1949

Re: Line resistance
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »
Capt Slog

Looks like you are on the right track.

I would play with it just a little more,to try to get it perfect.Keep on having fun.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:58:13 PM by elvin1949 »